iPad rids your studio of mice

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Permafried Buttrock Hero
audio school graduate

iPad rids your studio of mice

Post by Permafried Buttrock Hero » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:47 am

Eno, usually ahead of everyone else, said the mouse was a crappy way to get stuff done. Here's my big prediction: as more iPad control surface apps come along, such as the one pictured below, folks will quit using mice. I'd also bet mama cow that the iPad becomes an interface for other classes of apps such as Photoshop.

Last edited by Permafried Buttrock Hero on Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Many are called, but few get up

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:44 pm

Wow! I will be looking in this direction once the technology matures.

LazarusLong
steve albini likes it

Post by LazarusLong » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:17 pm

Here I was thinking it was emitting some supersonic frequency that drove away rodents.
The truth of a proposition has nothing to do with its credibility. And vice versa.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:36 pm

LazarusLong wrote:Here I was thinking it was emitting some supersonic frequency that drove away rodents.
:lol:

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:36 pm

LazarusLong wrote:Here I was thinking it was emitting some supersonic frequency that drove away rodents.
Yeah, me too.

Though actually I read somewhere that Jobs has very sensitive hearing and likes quiet computers. Most of the Macs, aside from those cheese-grater power models, have been pretty damn quiet.

Permafried Buttrock Hero
audio school graduate

Post by Permafried Buttrock Hero » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:40 pm

You're not gonna make me butthurt: They laughed at me when I sat down to operate an iPad as a surface controller.
Many are called, but few get up

rwc
resurrected

Post by rwc » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:47 pm

I'm still waiting for someone to implement bluetooth based talkback mic into prosumer audio interfaces. :(
Real friends stab you in the front.

Oscar Wilde

Failed audio engineer & pro studio tech turned Component level motherboard repair store in New York

alkooloid
alignin' 24-trk

Post by alkooloid » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:55 pm

Hmmm... who makes Logic?
Don't believe everything you think.

dave watkins
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by dave watkins » Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:49 pm

the ipad is pretty awesome and i could see it being very useful in the studio, but the real question is: will it blend?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAl28d6tbko
the tape is rolling, the ones and zeros are... um... ones and zeroing.
http://www.davewatkinsmusic.com

JES
tinnitus

Post by JES » Mon Apr 12, 2010 5:46 am

Scodiddly wrote:
Yeah, me too.

Though actually I read somewhere that Jobs has very sensitive hearing and likes quiet computers. Most of the Macs, aside from those cheese-grater power models, have been pretty damn quiet.
Sure, the but power macs (at least the G4s and G5s) were consistently loud like windtunnels, Apple denied there was a problem, etc. etc. Don't know about the newer desktops but it has given me pause in buying one. Also the fact that they haven't been updated forever.

Poppatwang
gettin' sounds

Post by Poppatwang » Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:03 am

JES wrote:
Scodiddly wrote:
Yeah, me too.

Sure, the but power macs (at least the G4s and G5s) were consistently loud like windtunnels, Apple denied there was a problem, etc. etc. Don't know about the newer desktops but it has given me pause in buying one. Also the fact that they haven't been updated forever.
I have an old wind tunnel G4. Noisy bastard it is. Currently using an intel Power Mac. It's real quiet.

LazarusLong
steve albini likes it

Post by LazarusLong » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:43 pm

JES wrote:
Scodiddly wrote:
Yeah, me too.

My G5 is whisper quiet... except when it isn't. When the fan kicks in, it sounds like it's preparing to reach low earth orbit.
The truth of a proposition has nothing to do with its credibility. And vice versa.

JES
tinnitus

Post by JES » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:39 pm

Mine was that way too, except "whisper quiet" included the tiniest little whine that was annoying and constant.

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:37 pm

Ya the G5s really ramp up. The new mac pros are dead silent, haven't heard one turn on the backburners like the old machines.

JES
tinnitus

Post by JES » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:31 am

Great. When the line is updated I may invest.