Is there an alternative to Peak?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

aitikin
suffering 'studio suck'

Is there an alternative to Peak?

Post by aitikin » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:14 pm

I've been using Peak LE 6 to "master" our mixes at work and I have loved the results...when it works. I end up spending about half my time working with Peak trying to get it to function properly or get back the stuff that it crashed with while I was trying to save...

So basically, I'm looking for something similar that we can use that isn't going to crash easily. My real answer is downgrade to Peak 5, but I doubt the university will front the $$ for that...
"It's not a recording studio without a lava lamp"
~Mark Rubel

"Don't meddle in the affairs of a patent dragon, for thou art tasty and good with ketchup." ~ohcrapitssteve

Waltz Mastering
steve albini likes it

Re: Is there an alternative to Peak?

Post by Waltz Mastering » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:59 am

aitikin wrote:I've been using Peak LE 6 to "master" our mixes at work and I have loved the results...when it works. I end up spending about half my time working with Peak trying to get it to function properly or get back the stuff that it crashed with while I was trying to save...

So basically, I'm looking for something similar that we can use that isn't going to crash easily. My real answer is downgrade to Peak 5, but I doubt the university will front the $$ for that...
Are you on a mac? what is the budget?

Here are a couple alternatives to Peak on a mac:
http://www.sonicstudio.com/products/pmcd/pmcd01.html
http://www.audiofile-engineering.com/waveeditor/

I swore peak off years ago for the same reason (bugs) Things might have changed in recent years, but I wouldn't pay to find out.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:42 am

I've had wicked compatibility issues, bugs & crashes with PMCD, soundBlade, and Wave Editor. Pull-your-hair-out frustration. Granted, both companies were very good about TRYING to help me with my problems. But neither were successful. I got a refund from Sonic after about 6 months of trying to get either of their applications to work on my system. For the last year, I've clunked along, working around Wave Editor's quirks waiting for Steinberg to port Wavelab to OSX. Now, Wavelab 7 is coming for Mac. And, it's gonna blow everything else out of the water.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:07 am

Do you have Logic on your rig?

Waveburner is pretty handy.

LazarusLong
steve albini likes it

Post by LazarusLong » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:21 am

iZotope Ozone + DAW of choice
The truth of a proposition has nothing to do with its credibility. And vice versa.

aitikin
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by aitikin » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:56 am

The only Logic we have available is Express, although Logic is my personal DAW of choice.

As for PMCD, this is an Illinois State university, meaning that we have absolutely no budget, so Wave Editor is probably going to be too expensive for us, but I'm curious nonetheless and will look into it on my own rigs.

Wavelab looks like it'd be the perfect tool, but like I said, budgets being what they are, maybe we could squeeze $100 out of FY 2011...maybe...

As for Ozone, I wish we had the budget...yet again...

Thanks for all the ideas though, I may have to...ahem...borrow some of this stuff to try out on my own and see what I throw my (meaningless) weight behind the next time issues come up.
~Mark Rubel

"Don't meddle in the affairs of a patent dragon, for thou art tasty and good with ketchup." ~ohcrapitssteve

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:13 pm

Wave Editor = $79

aitikin
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by aitikin » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:20 pm

subatomic pieces wrote:Wave Editor = $79
Sorry, neglected to mention that. Probably still too expensive for our school, considering they won't be hiring on anyone that wasn't already being considered as of January...

Stupid Illinois...
~Mark Rubel

Waltz Mastering
steve albini likes it

Post by Waltz Mastering » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:43 pm

aitikin wrote:
subatomic pieces wrote:Wave Editor = $79
Sorry, neglected to mention that. Probably still too expensive for our school, considering they won't be hiring on anyone that wasn't already being considered as of January...

Stupid Illinois...
? - you should probably find a way to make Peak work for you then. Unless you can swing an educational discount it sounds like you have no budget to get anything useful.
Last edited by Waltz Mastering on Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aitikin
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by aitikin » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:08 pm

Well, I'm merely a student and the two professors that use Peak are about equally pissed off with it as I am so they're going to be trying to find a way to do it. I just think that the more info I can round up, the more likely they are to be able to get something worth while.
~Mark Rubel

Front End Audio
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Front End Audio » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:25 pm

I use Adobe SoundBooth and I have never had an issue. You might check out the Minnetonka AudioTools AWE Master Bundle. It is a very powerful mastering plugin suite!

Cheers,
Nicholas
www.FrontEndAudio.com
Your Ultimate Pro Audio Dealer

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:25 pm

steinberg wavelab or wavelab studio.

Waltz Mastering
steve albini likes it

Post by Waltz Mastering » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:32 am

ctmsound wrote:steinberg wavelab or wavelab studio.
This is advertised to be ready for Mac in the summer of 2010.