carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:29 pm

*looks at rear end of goat*

*checks goat schematic to see if 1/4" jack on back panel is balanced*
Prog out with your cog out.

lionaudio
steve albini likes it

Post by lionaudio » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:19 am

If you really want to know how Joel did something, just wait until he comes back and PM him your questions. He has done this for me any time that I hear a new album that he has done and freak out over how great the drums are. I will tell you that most of the time he mics the whole kit and at least one mono room mic, and then picks and chooses which mics make the song. Some things he just ends up with the over the shoulder mic and a e602 on the kick. Some things he uses a ton of mics in the mix. I've learned more from corresponding with him via email than I have in the entire rest of this forum. So seriously just wait til you can speak to him. Until then, experiment until you find something that is great for YOU

Archmart
pushin' record

Post by Archmart » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:48 pm

Hey Hey!

Well, this has been an interesting and helpful thread, actually.

I went ahead and gave it my best guess with an M150 over the shoulder and a CM7 out in front. (...In addition to some usual suspects: ORTF R84s as overheads, 57s on the snare top and inside kick, TS-1s on the hat and under-snare, EV N/D468s on toms, and the new CM7 FET on kick - which was amazing, btw.)

And it really worked! These might be the best drum sounds I've gotten. (The drummer, Jon Marks of Hey Champ deserves no shortage of credit, of course!)

At first, the sound was odd to me, and I was mixing them in subtly, as the weekend progressed, though, I found those faders rising mysteriously until in the end I was in love with what they were doing. They really complimented what the ribbons were doing/not doing.

Thanks for the help in sorting it out. The M150 was borrowed, so I might have to look into a Bova for my own mic locker.

Thanks!
Archmart

opus
pluggin' in mics

Post by opus » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:31 pm

Its really just Bova behind drummer shoulder high I guess. Maybe more to the right then center. LDC 3ft out chest high pointed at the kick somewhat. Not a lot of science. Panned center. These are room mics. The Magic is Joel's experience. Try low and or high passing these....

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:57 am

Yip, The magic is in listening back and knowing if it's the right thing or not.

And yes, they're usually panned center, along with stereo overheads for the width. Often omnis, used to be the earthworks, then stapes then some M49s, now who the hell knows!

opus
pluggin' in mics

Post by opus » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:14 pm

Hey Marc its Mantooth. Been over @ Translator. How is Strange Weather?

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:23 pm

Magical!

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:04 pm

FInally got my laptop rocking again after its untimely drive failure in Africa....
Email me!!!
I will email you my phone number and you can just pick my brain and we dont have to waste any more space on this board with my stupid ideas about drums!!! ;)
For real:
email me. unless you think that asking "in public" is worth it.
Sincerely,
-Joel

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:15 pm

joel hamilton wrote:FInally got my laptop rocking again after its untimely drive failure in Africa....
Email me!!!
I will email you my phone number and you can just pick my brain and we dont have to waste any more space on this board with my stupid ideas about drums!!! ;)
For real:
email me. unless you think that asking "in public" is worth it.
Sincerely,
-Joel
Don't get a room guys?! Do it in the road.

Seriously.

I've been waiting for a long time for you to do one of those crazy mystical rants about audio chains. I forward those to my wife, she gets a good laugh even though she has no idea what you're saying. I only get about 10%, but I love it.

Just to be clear, we're not laughing at you. Just LOLing at your lust for audio.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.