LDCs for $300/pair

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

IanWalker
gimme a little kick & snare

LDCs for $300/pair

Post by IanWalker » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:22 am

So I'm looking at getting myself an affordable pair of large diaphragm condensers.

Lately I've been using a pair of modded Oktavas that my house/studio mate has, and they've been great. The trick comes with remote gigs. 1) they're his gear, and I'm not going to bogart them. 2) I don't want to run into more problems scheduling gear than we already do with the shared space.

So I'm looking for a pair to add to the cabinet.

Here's the trick. I'm pretty broke. I have a gig coming up that should pull down $200-300, and I want to use that to buy some mics. If I have to contribute a bit more, I can do that too, but I want to keep this affordable.

So far, I'm leaning towards the Audio-Technica AT2035. $150 each, pretty solid reviews from what I can find, generally regarded as fairly flat with a little boost around 12k, if I'm not mistaken.

Does anyone have any experience with these, or know of anything I should check out as well?
--
Ian!
http://michigansoundservices.com/

Drivar dohaeris. Drivar morghulis. (All drives must serve. All drives must die. Basically, back up your data.)

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:48 am

No experience with the ATs...but I'd buy used and you should be able to get a pair of Studio Projects B1s or B3s under your budget, or at least get a pair of cheap MXL ldcs (very easy to find around $50 each). My opinion is that any pair of ldcs for $300 is probably going to be worse than the Oktavas, so might as well go really cheap and save up. The Studio Projects mics are decent on overheads, vocals, drums, acoustic instruments, so even if you bought something better they'd still be useful.

IanWalker

Post by IanWalker » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:58 am

I've got a couple MXL mics, and really am not that into them. The top is just really brittle, and when some of my remote gigs are going to involve classical ensembles, that's even less desirable.

I work for the Music College at Michigan State University, and there I've been using U87s (ORTF) and a spaced pair of B&K (now DPA) 4006s on classical stuff lately. Impeccable sound. Not expecting anything on par with that, just something I can use without cringing or shame when I get a freelance gig recording some high school groups.
--
Ian!

Drivar dohaeris. Drivar morghulis. (All drives must serve. All drives must die. Basically, back up your data.)

the finger genius
re-cappin' neve

Post by the finger genius » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:27 am

I got a pair of CAD M177s which I really love. They're maybe a little darker than the Oktavas (I also have a 319.)

I think they've been discontinued, but if you look hard you can still find them around. Ebay can be very helpful. They also make the M179 which I believe is pretty much the same mic but with a variable polar pattern.
vvv wrote:
That said, what I'm gettin' at is, perfectionism is for the truly defective.

You may quote me.

IanWalker

Post by IanWalker » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:35 am

the finger genius wrote:I got a pair of CAD M177s which I really love. They're maybe a little darker than the Oktavas (I also have a 319.)
What do you like the M177s on? The Oktavas I've been using are modded 319s. Details:

Code: Select all

http://www.oktavamodshop.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_22&products_id=38
the finger genius wrote:I think they've been discontinued, but if you look hard you can still find them around. Ebay can be very helpful. They also make the M179 which I believe is pretty much the same mic but with a variable polar pattern.
Not much by way of the M177s on ebay, but I'll give the M179s a look.[/code]
--
Ian!

Front End Audio
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Front End Audio » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:34 am

CAD M179 give these a try! Definitely not a U87 but they work in all types of situations and they have a continually variable polar which gives you a wide variety of mic placement options. Here is a link to a variety of mic samples http://www.studioauditions.com/jamroomsessions_home.php you can select the CAD section and then select the M179 and listen to a couple of different samples

Cheers,
Nicholas
www.FrontEndAudio.com
Your Ultimate Pro Audio Dealer

the finger genius
re-cappin' neve

Post by the finger genius » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:00 pm

IanWalker wrote: What do you like the M177s on?
Depending on the song, they can really sound great on drum overheads, acoustic guitar, and clean electric guitar.
vvv wrote:

You may quote me.

0-it-hz
buyin' gear

Post by 0-it-hz » Mon Apr 12, 2010 1:55 pm

CAD M179. Only option. YMMV.
Everything louder than everything else.

IanWalker

Post by IanWalker » Tue Apr 13, 2010 2:16 pm

Front End Audio wrote:CAD M179 give these a try! Definitely not a U87 but they work in all types of situations and they have a continually variable polar which gives you a wide variety of mic placement options. Here is a link to a variety of mic samples http://www.studioauditions.com/jamroomsessions_home.php you can select the CAD section and then select the M179 and listen to a couple of different samples

Cheers,
Nicholas
Man, I listened to that, and the top end still leaves something to be desired. Its not terribly pronounced, but comparing it to the AT2020 (which the 2035 has been compared to in a favorable way), it seems a bit brittle to me.

Somebody PMed me and mentioned this:

Code: Select all

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/395131-anyone-else-using-sahiamans-little-blondie-mic.html
I may actually look into those at some point as well. With such raves reviews, and an that price for a had-built mic? Probably worth the gamble.
--
Ian!

the finger genius
re-cappin' neve

Post by the finger genius » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:06 am

It sounds like you may going in another direction but someone from this board has these for sale:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Pair-of-CAD-Microph ... 899wt_1167

(There's a post with these in the Buy / Sell / Trade)

My favorite part of the 177 is a very tamed top end, which really sets them apart from other condensers I've heard.
vvv wrote:

You may quote me.

Jitters
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jitters » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:14 am

Not to be a pedant, but large, medium and small diaphragm mics are getting talked about here pretty indiscriminately....

the finger genius
re-cappin' neve

Post by the finger genius » Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:34 am

Jitters wrote:Not to be a pedant, but large, medium and small diaphragm mics are getting talked about here pretty indiscriminately....
Would you care to elaborate (on what you feel are small and medium diaphragm mics, and also what your definition is of each?) Other than the one reference by the OP to the DPA 4006 I'm not sure what you're seeing.
vvv wrote:

You may quote me.

sears
steve albini likes it

Post by sears » Thu Apr 15, 2010 8:51 am

If he's remote recording classical gigs he doesn't *need* LDCs so maybe it's ok for him to consider other types. Like the SM57

mscottweber
pushin' record

Post by mscottweber » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:49 pm

Like the SM57
I've heard of people recording entire bands with nothing but SM57s, but entire ORCHESTRAS????!!!!!!!??????

Awesome

sears
steve albini likes it

Post by sears » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:20 am

mscottweber wrote:
Like the SM57
I've heard of people recording entire bands with nothing but SM57s, but entire ORCHESTRAS????!!!!!!!??????

Awesome
I was kidding. I'm the least qualified person on this board to even be joining such a discussion.

Wouldn't that be great, though? At least put them up beside your 414s or whatever and hear what it sounds like.