Pro Tools 8 delay compensation?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

logancircle
tinnitus

Pro Tools 8 delay compensation?

Post by logancircle » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:18 pm

Is it build into PT8? I'd heard PT7 had something like delay compensation built-in to get all the tracks lined up relative to the others. Anyone?
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Studio and Field Recorder in NYC.
I like dirt.
IG: stormydanielson

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:43 pm

Pro Tools LE has NO delay compensation. HD systems do. You'll need mellowmuse ATA or some delay compensation plug-in.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:19 am

ctmsound wrote:Pro Tools LE has NO delay compensation. HD systems do. You'll need mellowmuse ATA or some delay compensation plug-in.
Yep. What he said /\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Dakota
re-cappin' neve

Post by Dakota » Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:22 pm

PTLE has *some* undocumented, unreliable, non-figurable latency correction. You'll see it sometimes in a print through an aux, in audio suite, or in a hardware print out and back in. Never any rhyme or reason to it, so it ends up wasting just as much time to go check and line up anyway.

But yeah, no version has official or useful latency correction. So as to start an itch that you buy HD.

There may be a new native thing w/ADC in between LE and HD slated for next year. Same category as yeti, nessie, easter bunny, deed to brooklyn bridge.

apropos of nothing
dead but not forgotten

Post by apropos of nothing » Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:09 am

I'd just like to point out that Cubase has had this since sometime in 2002. Glad them tools is "pro", cuz I don't even want to know about their amateur tools.

How's that hamster wheel treating you anyway?

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:39 am

<-- Cubase 5 user. Sure is nice.

Although, PT HD has no latency monitoring, while cubase does not. Unless you have steinberg hardware.

Dakota
re-cappin' neve

Post by Dakota » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:55 am

apropos of nothing wrote:I'd just like to point out that Cubase has had this since sometime in 2002. Glad them tools is "pro", cuz I don't even want to know about their amateur tools.

How's that hamster wheel treating you anyway?
Kinda sucks. But 95% of the work coming across my desk is in PT format, and I tend to do the larger part of sound processing and textures in outboard gear land anyway. The devil I am used to.

Shane Michael Rose
steve albini likes it

Post by Shane Michael Rose » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:19 am

dakota: explain this undocumented delay compensation.

playinbass
alignin' 24-trk

Post by playinbass » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:26 pm

doesn't everyone just use the short time adjuster plug in and delay all the tracks that need it to match the delayed (because of plug - ins) tracks?

You can see the delay on each track and then just do the math to add the necessary amount of samples to each track as needed to get them all to line up. It's a bit of a pain, but not that much once you get used to it.

bantam
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by bantam » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:10 am

so how do they deal with that new eleven rack dsp thing do you have to manually bump tracks when using that thing?

ctmsound
george martin

Post by ctmsound » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:30 pm

I wonder, because to use the built-in DSP, you have to route it via spdif if you don't originally track with it.

LazarusLong
steve albini likes it

Post by LazarusLong » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:59 am

bantam wrote:so how do they deal with that new eleven rack dsp thing do you have to manually bump tracks when using that thing?
Built in DSP. Audio gets processed then pumped into the computer. Eleven Rack is an interface unto itself. When using it just as a processor, then you use SPDIF. Since there's no steps of A/D/A going on, it's nearly latency free. Just like using a bank of ADAT preamps or something.

No latency.
The truth of a proposition has nothing to do with its credibility. And vice versa.

dubh dubh dubh
gettin' sounds

Post by dubh dubh dubh » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:02 am

I seem to've always had better luck using manual nudging than time adjuster on PTLE... but heck for $49 the ATA by mellowmuse seems like a screamin deal.

and for those who haven't done so, you can check the plugin latency on a track by command(or 'apple key') clicking on the fader level display at the bottom of faders in the mix window. Default (unclicked) is your meter's level position, if you apple-click on that display twice, it'll show you the delay as number of samples.. I've just had better luck finding the delay like this, duplicating the playlist for that track & renaming it like 'kick-960samp', then sliding it back that amount.

IT's imperative to do this on a duplicate playlist so you can go back to your starting point/non-time adjusted track as needed. Yeah I know most people here know this, but it's a question that comes up all the time in the seminars I give on PT...
AND of course you'll want the non-nudged version if you go to an HD equipped place to mix, the delay compensation in HD kicks azz... would be swell if Avid/Digi would implement some kinda auto-fix for LE, heck I'd even pay a bit for it. But being a Digi-slave since '91, I have my doubts it'd be cheap even if they ever do it...probably more than the $49 ATA...
http://tinyurl.com/fbookDUBH and

I mix/engineer/produce/reduce & make gear heinously misbehave in delightful ways.

parkinson's:it's not just for grannie anymore.
http://www.michaeljfox.org/living.cfm

alkooloid
alignin' 24-trk

Post by alkooloid » Mon May 03, 2010 7:51 pm

Why do people mess with this crap? Rise up and revolt! I'm very revolted by this kind of BS. Digi=evil.
Don't believe everything you think.

Dakota
re-cappin' neve

Post by Dakota » Tue May 04, 2010 3:31 am

Shane OConnor wrote:dakota: explain this undocumented delay compensation.
Audio suite: varies a lot whether the processed file is placed back in time where it was originally. This doesn't always correlate with the insert latency of the plug. Print through an aux to a new track: also varies, some plugs get corrected, some don't. Hardware print out through gear and back in: sometimes even ends up some samples earlier (figure that, over-correcting), or sloppy but in the ballpark, but varying by a few samples each time the outboard print is stopped and started.

Anyway, none of it trustworthy. Always needs checked if it's phase/time critical. Hate that.