Bass sound on "Angel" from TUSK--God, I want to EA

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Peterson Goodwyn
pushin' record

Post by Peterson Goodwyn » Thu May 06, 2010 10:50 pm

Gerry,

Really interesting, great information. Like I said in the original post, I am a bassnoramus so all of that comes as news to me.

What about bass recorded DI before the advent of the SVTs? It seems like if bassists had wanted low-end-for-miles in the 60s they could just plug into the desk?

playinbass
alignin' 24-trk

Post by playinbass » Fri May 07, 2010 4:25 am

You're right about using the DI and people certainly did do it. Maybe they just didn't want the ton's of low end.

I didn't start to pay much attention about HOW the sounds were recorded until the later '70s when I got my first 4 track and really developed an interest in recording. At that point my first option was DI when recording my bass, whether we were at home tracking or in a 'real' studio.

Reading about Carol Kaye, Jamerson or McCartney's sounds seems to reference micing amps...maybe they DI'd as well.

One other note about the amps of the day....seems to me that the SVT SPEAKER CABINET with the 8 - 10's was even more important than the increased power in the heads. There never was a cab until then that remained tight and undistorted at high volumes.

Gerry

teleharmonium
pushin' record

Post by teleharmonium » Fri May 07, 2010 11:36 am

playinbass wrote:One other note about the amps of the day....seems to me that the SVT SPEAKER CABINET with the 8 - 10's was even more important than the increased power in the heads. There never was a cab until then that remained tight and undistorted at high volumes.
No doubt, the cabinet was the more critical piece. But as I like to point out, while the original 8 x 10 cabs sounded massive at 100 hz, they rolled off below 80. So they're more about delivering a lot of sound that works on stage, than having honestly extended low range. IMO this has everything to do with their clarity.

playinbass
alignin' 24-trk

Post by playinbass » Fri May 07, 2010 12:08 pm

I wasn't aware of what their real frequency response was, but you make a good point. I guess they were coupling with the stage and really shaking things up which may have given the illusion that there was tons of low end happening too. It sure was fun standing in front of a couple of those, but man, they were just too heavy to lug around. Fun when the roadies did it, not fun when it was my turn. Try convincing your 90 pound punk rock girlfriend to give you a hand lugging that up three flights! :-)

G

nzkobc
audio school graduate

Post by nzkobc » Sun May 09, 2010 3:28 pm

I really don't like the way it sounds. It's not the bass though, guitar and keys are way to quiet (at least to my ears).