Moviola Squawk Boxes.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Post Reply
eti
audio school
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:49 am

Moviola Squawk Boxes.

Post by eti » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:17 am

Hi there! I'm new. :) I just came across some Moviola Squawk boxes and this seems to be the center of the universe for that unit.

I play guitar and naturally I want to use one for ... something. Not really sure what just yet. Do folks use them for recording only? As a mini amp? As a distortion effect? All the above?

Here's my new babies:
Image

Dig the knob.
Image

And, one of these; Similar to a Moviola, but solid state and has a guitar jack.
Image

I recorded one clip each on the solid state amp and the Moviola.

Solid state: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_so ... ID=9079270

Tubes: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_so ... ID=9079271

Both start with the volume rolled back on my guitar, which I gradually turn up.

Excuse any mistakes :shock:

These are un modded (yes, I actually have an adapter to plug my guitar right into the Moviola), and I kind of like the distortion the way it is. Not sure I'd want to change the input.

User avatar
Marc Alan Goodman
george martin
Posts: 1400
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2003 7:57 pm
Location: NYC
Contact:

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:25 pm

Yeah, don't change anything. They sound amazing and it would be a waste of time since you probably couldn't get anything cleaner out of them without completely rebuilding the amp.

I've only used mine for recording since it's really not all that loud but they are totally amazing. I'm sure Joel will want to chime in here, he's the one who turned me on to them. There's been a ton of discussion on them around this board if you use the search function.

Nice score!

joel hamilton
zen recordist
Posts: 8876
Joined: Mon May 19, 2003 12:10 pm
Location: NYC/Brooklyn
Contact:

Post by joel hamilton » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:15 pm

I started using one for guitar like a million years ago.
The word is out....
They are incredible. Not for everyone, but they are incredible.

User avatar
Brett Siler
moves faders with mind
Posts: 2506
Joined: Fri Dec 05, 2003 12:16 pm
Location: Evansville, IN
Contact:

Post by Brett Siler » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:39 pm

Whoa I like the saturated distortion sounds of both those.

User avatar
johnny7
suffering 'studio suck'
Posts: 406
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 9:57 pm
Location: Seattle

Post by johnny7 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:54 pm

Totally fun amps. I plug in my 6-10s Silvertone cab and the amp drives it remarkably well. Joel has be touting these things forever (damn him...)

User avatar
T-rex
dead but not forgotten
Posts: 2124
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2004 5:44 am
Location: Louisville KY

Post by T-rex » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:59 pm

How many people with these have modded the input to make it more guitar friendly. I had a tech give mine some tlc when I first got it and he did that. I kind of liked the crazy distortion which was toned down a bit with the mod. But I love the way it sounds now a lot too. I probably need to add a switch to choose between the two.
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

eti
audio school
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:49 am

Post by eti » Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:42 pm

johnny7 wrote:Totally fun amps. I plug in my 6-10s Silvertone cab and the amp drives it remarkably well. Joel has be touting these things forever (damn him...)
That's exactly the sort of thing I'd like to do! What sort of mod would it require? I never heard of the Moviola (or the solid state Ediquip unit) before bringing one home yesterday. I was pleasantly surprised to know they are valued for music and recording, but I have no desire to sell at the moment.
T-rex wrote:How many people with these have modded the input to make it more guitar friendly. I had a tech give mine some tlc when I first got it and he did that. I kind of liked the crazy distortion which was toned down a bit with the mod. But I love the way it sounds now a lot too. I probably need to add a switch to choose between the two.
Or an input level pot? :wink: I'd also like some sort of output attenuation to better integrate it with my effects pedals, etc.
Though I am curious to hear what daisy chaining a few together would sound like. :twisted:

User avatar
A.David.MacKinnon
ghost haunting audio students
Posts: 3398
Joined: Wed May 07, 2003 5:57 am
Location: Toronto
Contact:

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Thu Apr 29, 2010 5:27 pm

God. I found one of these in the trash 10 years ago. Didn't know what it was or what to do with it and eventually sent it back from whence it came. I am a fool and I still regret it.

eti
audio school
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:49 am

Post by eti » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:08 am

A second try with a tube Moviola URS.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_so ... ID=9084222

Long and rambling, but I'm much happier with the sound of this one. 8) Experimented with some delay in the middle.

User avatar
Snarl 12/8
ghost haunting audio students
Posts: 3400
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:01 pm
Location: Right Cheer
Contact:

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Sat May 01, 2010 5:32 pm

Sounds like a hi-fi version of the Heathkit Signal Tracer amp...

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=63688
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

User avatar
johnny7
suffering 'studio suck'
Posts: 406
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 9:57 pm
Location: Seattle

Post by johnny7 » Sat May 01, 2010 10:19 pm

eti wrote:
johnny7 wrote:Totally fun amps. I plug in my 6-10s Silvertone cab and the amp drives it remarkably well.)
That's exactly the sort of thing I'd like to do! What sort of mod would it require?
I just plugged them into the headphone jack. I did a couple of little input mods from this guy...
http://www.prodigy-pro.com/diy/index.php?topic=25629.0

eti
audio school
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:49 am

Post by eti » Sun May 02, 2010 8:26 am

Snarl 12/8 wrote:Sounds like a hi-fi version of the Heathkit Signal Tracer amp...

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=63688
Those look cool, esp. the magic eye! I'll keep an "eye" out for one. ;)
johnny7 wrote:
eti wrote:
johnny7 wrote:Totally fun amps. I plug in my 6-10s Silvertone cab and the amp drives it remarkably well.)
That's exactly the sort of thing I'd like to do! What sort of mod would it require?
I just plugged them into the headphone jack. I did a couple of little input mods from this guy...
http://www.prodigy-pro.com/diy/index.php?topic=25629.0
Ah, thanks for the tips!

User avatar
Snarl 12/8
ghost haunting audio students
Posts: 3400
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:01 pm
Location: Right Cheer
Contact:

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Sun May 02, 2010 12:18 pm

eti wrote:
Snarl 12/8 wrote:Sounds like a hi-fi version of the Heathkit Signal Tracer amp...

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?t=63688
Those look cool, esp. the magic eye! I'll keep an "eye" out for one. ;)
I broke the eye in mine. Still sounds the same, but it doesn't have the magic visuals. :(
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

User avatar
supafuzz
carpal tunnel
Posts: 1728
Joined: Wed May 07, 2003 6:02 am
Location: Beacon NY
Contact:

Post by supafuzz » Wed May 12, 2010 1:11 pm

It's an easy fun practice tube amp as well
I have an input and speaker output on mine and and use it sometimes to drive a marshall 1x12 or 4x10 cabinet

Not crazy about the way the speaker sounds in it when turned up...but I guess i could be cool to blend that in with another amp

They just look so bloody cool and I love the look on clients faces when you pull them off the shelf and plug em in. [ the moviola not the clients]
Super 70 Studio.. Never tell a perfectionist that the mix is perfect!

http://www.super70studio.com
http://www.facebook.com/Super70Studio


now in glorious HD3

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Scodiddly and 117 guests