What legacy DAW are you still using?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

LazarusLong
steve albini likes it

Post by LazarusLong » Tue May 04, 2010 2:21 pm

Front End Audio wrote:Wow! clay tablets you gotta show me that one!

Cheers,
Nicholas
Yeah. It's stable, but can sound a little scratchy sometimes.

Har har har.

OK, but seriously: PTLE 7.4.2, Logic 8, DP 6

Why... PT / Logic - I have an old G5 still. DP - moved this past weekend, just no time to install DP 7 yet. Also really DON'T want more guitar modeling stuff. Ugh.

No mojo secrets here for the slow upgrades. Just saving up for a Mac Pro, then going to get Logic 9 and PTLE 8.
The truth of a proposition has nothing to do with its credibility. And vice versa.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Tue May 04, 2010 4:20 pm

I have a Digi 001. I also 888/24 Mix system I'm about to hook up. 6.4 is stable and works. I know all the compatibility issues and I don't feel I'm really missing out on new software features. Not enough to drop a couple grand at least.

route-electrique
gettin' sounds

Post by route-electrique » Wed May 05, 2010 11:48 am

Logic, Cubase. Depends where the session is.
♫ "Beware the handshake that hides the snake. Beware the pat on the back - it just might hold you back." ♫

Burnt Ernie
steve albini likes it

Post by Burnt Ernie » Wed May 05, 2010 4:31 pm

Samplitude 6.2. Still RULES. Can't afford the new version,anyway. Don't use midi,anyways. Still sounds better than anything I've heard (including cubase which came with my 8 in soundcard).First version I had was in 94,and all the math/processing was 32 bit even then. It's a beautiful thing. YES I would like more plug ins,
but I commit to tape with my sounds,bounce in, and tweak later. Thank you,Samplitude.
I am the Walnut

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Wed May 05, 2010 6:03 pm

Ron's Brother wrote:Cakewalk Pro audio 9

I don't think is it better then any newer DAW out there; it is just the first one that I bought.
Wow, I think that was like the SECOND one I ever bought. Watching it crash in Windows 95 was a lot of fun. Presumably it's worked better for you . . .

& to answer the original question:

Live 6 (very solid, good songwriting tool)
Sonar Home studio 4 (old Cakewalk stuff can open in it)
cubase LE (the mix bus sounds good to me)

All those dinosaurs roam free in XP, I know how to work 'em and there's less crap blinking and floating around to distract from the music.

Am slowly getting accustomed to more current "big" versions of Sonar and Cubase, they know good tricks but it's basically icing, not cake.
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra

Ron's Brother
gettin' sounds

Post by Ron's Brother » Thu May 06, 2010 8:23 am

percussion boy wrote:
Ron's Brother wrote:Cakewalk Pro audio 9

I don't think is it better then any newer DAW out there; it is just the first one that I bought.
Wow, I think that was like the SECOND one I ever bought. Watching it crash in Windows 95 was a lot of fun. Presumably it's worked better for you . . .

& to answer the original question:

Live 6 (very solid, good songwriting tool)
Sonar Home studio 4 (old Cakewalk stuff can open in it)
cubase LE (the mix bus sounds good to me)

All those dinosaurs roam free in XP, I know how to work 'em and there's less crap blinking and floating around to distract from the music.

Am slowly getting accustomed to more current "big" versions of Sonar and Cubase, they know good tricks but it's basically icing, not cake.
Currently running pro audio 9 On windows 7.... No problems.
http://www.yourband.info great site to promote your band or music.

W DeMarco
pluggin' in mics

Post by W DeMarco » Thu May 06, 2010 8:47 am

Im still on PT 5.3 Mixplus. Paid a hell of alot for it and it still works great. Digi made it awfully hard to upgrade the computer and hardware. My real legacy gear is the otari with dolby SR! I have spoken to a lot of PT guys who won't upgrade either. It seems like those who got into PT earlier still have a mixplus system while those that got into it later are buying the HD systems. I love our rig but do wish I could upgrade the computer and maybe get into PT 6.x?

monospace
audio school

Post by monospace » Thu May 06, 2010 12:19 pm

Hi! New member here.

I still have Opcode Vision DSP running on my old Mac "Lombard" laptop. Wish there was a way I could easily convert my old projects to Logic Express, which is what I'm using now!

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue May 11, 2010 11:35 am

Does one of these count?

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Tue May 11, 2010 2:09 pm

I was waiting for one of those posts. I didn't think posting my Portastudio would be quite as effective.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue May 11, 2010 11:55 pm

jgimbel wrote:I was waiting for one of those posts. I didn't think posting my Portastudio would be quite as effective.
I almost posted a picture of the 4-track Sprengsteen used on Nebraska. (I totally snuck a pic at the Rock-n-Roll Hall of Fame)

CraigS63
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by CraigS63 » Wed May 12, 2010 7:26 pm

Sonar Producer 8.5.3. (but on a Pentium 4). Yeah I know, they make faster ones now.

NewAndImprov
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewAndImprov » Mon May 31, 2010 9:45 am

I recently got a new Mac Pro and Logic 9, and I'm loving it! But I ran Logic 6.4 on my old G5 for years, and it was great. I really felt like I knew all the quirks of that setup, and I made a lot of records on it.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon May 31, 2010 5:16 pm

InvalidInk wrote:Pro Tools 6.4
same here, made the jump from 5.2 to 6.4 two years ago. I'm still on digi 001, alesis ai-3 (both BLA modded) and BLA sparrow, along with a mac g4 dual 800 power pc.

So as far as upgrades.. i can either go the old tdm/mix "pro" protools and keep the computer.. or junk everything.

it works great for me though!

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon May 31, 2010 5:19 pm

W DeMarco wrote:Im still on PT 5.3 Mixplus. Paid a hell of alot for it and it still works great. Digi made it awfully hard to upgrade the computer and hardware. My real legacy gear is the otari with dolby SR! I have spoken to a lot of PT guys who won't upgrade either. It seems like those who got into PT earlier still have a mixplus system while those that got into it later are buying the HD systems. I love our rig but do wish I could upgrade the computer and maybe get into PT 6.x?
I sometimes get to work out of a commercial place in town that runs both an OS9 and OSX version of PT on a mixplus system. . Probably 5.3 and 6.3.

Its actually kinda cool that the place is "fine" with that set up.. i' mean, along with a studer 827, great sounding room, and good collection of gear.. what do you really need?