SSL Reel Disk not ready problems

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

djgout
suffering 'studio suck'

SSL Reel Disk not ready problems

Post by djgout » Mon May 03, 2010 2:42 pm

Hey Everyone,

I'm having alot of trouble sorting out an issue with an SSL computer. It refuses to talk to the reel drive. It's got a 490 CPU with the expanded memory and a sasi card to talk to 3.5" drives. I can swap the jumpers on the drive and make the one in the reel position become the program and boot fine, so it isn't the drive itself. Everytime I reboot it gives me the *reel disk not ready, when ready press execute* message. Same thing with formatting/labeling/anything to do with the reel drive. Even starting it up with the program drive as normal, then swapping the jumper to the reel positions I get the same message. We've tried out a different card cage with the same result. We even borrowed a 4100 CPU with memory and drives to test out our card frame and the card frame worked fine with the 4100.

Can anyone help?

thanks
-justin
justin herlocker
grindengineering (at) gmail (dot) com

E-cue
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by E-cue » Thu May 06, 2010 12:52 pm

This jogs my SSL memory.

G series, right?

Could you walk me through the commands in the order you use them?

mini execute (to make the 3.5 the reel disk)
format execute (formats the 3.5 and will take about a minute)
label execute (set reel size/dc or labels)

If you do "di execute", does it show the remaining space? Can you get past any of these steps? What happens when you display the REEL list "list REEL execute", and does "list execute" display something different (meaning it's looking at a different drive)?

Do you have a formatted reel disk you could try loading 1st?

I don't mean to talk beneath you if I am, but I haven't been on a G in years and these things are often just a simple missed computer command.