DIY Modular Synth

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Dusty Groove
audio school

DIY Modular Synth

Post by Dusty Groove » Tue May 04, 2010 11:03 pm

So ive been perusing the boards for sometime now and am finally getting around to posting...

I was just curious if anyone has had any experience with building one or part of one. Im currently building a simple patchbay for some of my recording gear (MPC, DJ Mixer, Tape Deck, CD Deck, ect...) and I wanted to start the synth come summer time. I've been reading some books and looking at websites but im overwhelmed with information right now. Different sources are telling me different things and im having a hard time sorting things out. I know I need to start with a VCO, VCF, VCA, ADSR, CV and then I can build out from there.

Does anyone have any suggestions or comments before I start building?

thanks

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Wed May 05, 2010 4:44 am

If you haven't already check out Music From Outer Space...resource of PCBs and such for DIY modulars. Also PAIA has some small modular systems that are relatively cheap.

I build guitar pedals and do some electronics tweaking but everything I've looked at as far as totally DIY synths is for the advanced hobbyist only...over my head. You also need more test equipment, like an oscilloscope to tune and calibrate oscillators.

What is your motivation to build one...save money, have your own designs, or just for the hell of it? I'm designing a modular for a client with Synthesizers.com modules...seems like the best deal out there for new stuff and any body that has one has spoke very highly of them. If you are just wanting to save money you can do a "module of the month" entry level system to break down the expense over time.

inverseroom
on a wing and a prayer

Post by inverseroom » Wed May 05, 2010 8:08 am

Frac Rack is the way to go if you want to build stuff yourself...very sturdy, everything comes in kits or fully assembled...the cases are easy to get into from behind for custom work. I have a combined Frac/Euro system at home. MFOS has tons of schems and PCB's...there's also Oakley, Elby, a few other manufacturers who also have lots of DIY resources online.

I took a bunch of photos and a video of my friend Trevor and his homemade modular from the seventies, check it out:

http://matrixsynth.blogspot.com/2010/04 ... dular.html

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Wed May 05, 2010 12:08 pm

Actually, you need to start with a power supply. Without one, nothing else will work.

My druthers after that would be a good VCF and LFO. With those you can start mangling sounds - run the turntable or MPC through 'em.

There are a number of folks making kits and PCBs. The MUFOS Soundlab and ASM-2 boards will get you deep into modular territory for not too much deng.

Consider carefully what sort of patching you're going to use. 1/4" is robust, but large. 1/8" is smaller, but less robust. Banana is small, and good ones are robust, but you probably don't already own any gear with bananas, so you'd need to make adapters.

Google and sign up for the SDIY mailing list. It's the central source for a lot of this stuff.

Don't cheap out and buy garbage pots or jacks - you will regret it.[/i]

ThePaloverdeBeetle
alignin' 24-trk

Post by ThePaloverdeBeetle » Thu May 06, 2010 8:37 am

The ASM synth I built many years ago is the best sounding synth I own. It's all on one PC board though so no separate modules. Kudos to Gene Stopp for his design.

fluxmonkey
audio school

Post by fluxmonkey » Fri May 21, 2010 2:02 pm

i got my start building kits from Blacet--you'll learn a lot, and they will work. great sounding modules. the kits include everything you need, which is a big plus... buying individual parts is a pain, and the whole from panel thing is worked out for you (which you'll begin to appreciate the first time you have to source and panel on your own).

MusicFromOuterspace is likewise a great source, very economical PCBs cover all the standard stuff. Good designs and documentation, but not quite so great as Blacet. also check out CatGirl Synth, ken sells PCBs for lots or more exotic modules, but with even less docs... he's very helpful, but he's expecting that you'll have some experience.

also hang out at the MuffWiggler or the ElectroMusic DIY forums... tons of great info.

bbob
www.fluxmonkey.com