DAW Software Preferences

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

MASSIVE Mastering
buyin' a studio

Post by MASSIVE Mastering » Mon May 10, 2010 9:43 pm

Okay, I should specify -

Once you go Samplitude V10 (although the big changes were around V8) or higher, you never go back. Sequoia has a few additional features (that most people will never notice) for a couple grand more though...
John Scrip - MASSIVE Mastering

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Tue May 11, 2010 8:45 am

If I wasn't so entrenched in Pro Tools, I would be giving Presonus Studio One a serious look. I played around with it for a couple hours, and was really impressed with how easy it is to use.

paullaxer
audio school

+ 1 for Reaper

Post by paullaxer » Tue May 11, 2010 2:38 pm

Its the most flexible DAW around. Cross platform, any track can be anything, amazing cut and paste of entire sessions w/ effects, amazing effect organization...
Space is golden and arrangement matters

EggyToast
ass engineer

Post by EggyToast » Tue May 11, 2010 7:30 pm

I like Logic a lot more with the new "flat" interface. There's a lot going on that's more easily accessible than the typical "separate view" interface that a lot of DAW software uses.

The other great thing about it is that Logic Express, which is $200, does a TON of stuff. It doesn't have as many plugins, but the overall structure is the same, and more importantly the upgrade price is simply the normal difference in price. So you can start with Logic Express for $200 and if it suits your needs, stop there. If you want to move up to more plugins, more surround sound & video support, and other stuff, you can simply pay the difference ($300) to get the ($500) Logic Pro.

I personally use Logic Express because there's a lot of 3rd party plugins that will accomplish similar results to what's provided in Logic Pro, since I'm pretty specific in the sounds that I need or use. But I love that I have the flexibility of starting with the more basic app and then upgrading without feeling that I lose anything. Actually I save a dollar by doing it that way (since the price is $498 if you buy Logic Express and then upgrade) ;D

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Tue May 11, 2010 7:48 pm

I heard in Logic 9 you can send mono outs to a mixer, is that true? I know in the past it used to just be stereo outs.

John Jeffers
buyin' a studio

Post by John Jeffers » Tue May 11, 2010 8:45 pm

John Jeffers wrote:If I wasn't so entrenched in Pro Tools, I would be giving Presonus Studio One a serious look. I played around with it for a couple hours, and was really impressed with how easy it is to use.
Ah, I just fell out of love. As far as I can tell, there's nothing like Pro Tools' elastic audio feature. I use this all the time to tighten up multi-track drum parts. So long, for now, Studio One!

rraaiillss
audio school

Post by rraaiillss » Wed May 12, 2010 7:04 am

John Jeffers wrote:Ah, I just fell out of love. As far as I can tell, there's nothing like Pro Tools' elastic audio feature. I use this all the time to tighten up multi-track drum parts. So long, for now, Studio One!
Logic Pro 9 and Ableton Live both have similar functions to Pro Tools' "Elastic Audio". It's called "Flex" in Logic Pro 9 and "Warp" in Ableton. I'm not sure if there's any special sauce to the Pro Tools feature that these are missing, but it won't hurt you to install the Live demo and give it a try.

raweber
studio intern

DP?

Post by raweber » Wed May 12, 2010 9:38 am

The guy who mixed my live album used Digital Performer. I was amazed watching him work - everything seemed to logical and easy. I'm a Sonar user because I'm on PC, but if money wasn't an object, I would go mac and DP in a heartbeat. I know several DP users and none of them have any complaints.
Rob in Virginia
Music Production Blog: www.notesfromtheshore.com
Free Praise Music: www.allthingsnewminstries.org

Music is organized sound... with emotion.

fedexnman
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by fedexnman » Wed May 12, 2010 1:44 pm

if you want logic pro or express go apple, fyi an imac or macmini run on mobil/laptop processors . if not you'd do better to build your own pc . either intel i7 or go with a quad core amd and gigabyte motherboard if your using firewire . you could easiy build one for under $1200 with quaillity parts and a good grafix card . plus its fun/easy to build a pc . you can also check out silent pc review . com for quieter fans and grafix cards and power supplies and cpu heatsinks . its alot if fun. if your worried about viruses get another hardrive for surfing the net and install ubuntu on it, its a free and easy to use/install operating system.
is it beer 30 yet?????

exalted wombat
alignin' 24-trk

Re: DAW Software Preferences

Post by exalted wombat » Tue May 18, 2010 4:03 pm

slowcentury wrote:I am just about to take the dive into buying some real DAW software. I have already decided I am not going to take the protools route. I have dabbled in Cubase in the past and use Ableton live on a regular basis. I just don't know what direction to take this in. Suggestions please?
If you are undecided between Cubase and Ableton, I'd suggest that you haven't really defined what sort of music you make.

slowcentury
gettin' sounds

Re: DAW Software Preferences

Post by slowcentury » Tue May 18, 2010 7:47 pm

exalted wombat wrote:
slowcentury wrote:I am just about to take the dive into buying some real DAW software. I have already decided I am not going to take the protools route. I have dabbled in Cubase in the past and use Ableton live on a regular basis. I just don't know what direction to take this in. Suggestions please?
If you are undecided between Cubase and Ableton, I'd suggest that you haven't really defined what sort of music you make.
Actually i am very active in many different genres of music. I'm all over the map... everything from 90s styled indierock guitar swing to minimal drone al a stars of the lid. I have used Ableton extensively since version 2. I would like to get more of a dedicated DAW for recording a band rather than software that is semi geared to electronic music. I will still be using Ableton for most of the minimal music I make but I would like to get a better DAW for harddisk recording. Basically I want to find something that is rather intuitive to use and has a good audio engine. I have never been a fan of Cubase for some reason. Something about the workflow never appealed to me, I just couldn't get into it. I used to used Samplitude back in the late 90s but haven't touched that since. If Sequoia wasn't so expensive I would probably go that route... Who knows.