001, Pro Tools 6.4, and OS X 10.4 compatibility?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

SaneMan
takin' a dinner break

001, Pro Tools 6.4, and OS X 10.4 compatibility?

Post by SaneMan » Tue May 11, 2010 4:25 pm

So my hard drive on my old G4 (my dedicated music computer) just died. I want to buy a new drive and reinstall everything, but the problem is it's old and I don't have the original discs. I do have a OSX 10.4.3 install disc that I could use, but on the digidesign website it says 001's are only compatible up to 10.3.4, and then adds that there may not be issues with more recent OS's, but they don't test on them anymore. I was wondering if any of you use a similar system and could verify for me that it works?
Show me a sane man and I will cure him for you. - Carl Jung

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Tue May 11, 2010 5:06 pm

Digi 001 is compatible with Pro Tools software 6.4 (thats the highest it will go). It won't work with Mac OS 10.4 or higher. I know from experience. I am running 10.3.9 with a Digi 001 and Pro Tools 6.4 and it works fine. You might have to go on eBay and find a disc of 10.3.9.
A similar thing happened to me and the guy that fixed my computer put 10.4 on my computer as a "favor" which ended up screwing me because my recording stuff wasn't compatible with it. I had to go on eBay and find a 10.3.9 start up disc to get it to work.

SaneMan
takin' a dinner break

Post by SaneMan » Tue May 11, 2010 6:11 pm

Thank you, I was hoping to hear from someone who actually tried it. Damn though, I actually thought it would work, and was just checking out return policies and getting ready to purchase a drive.

I might just go with my back up plan, which is to just upgrade (if you could call it that?) to an mbox2, and shift over to my laptop, which is a superior computer anyway. But I enjoy having a dedicated music computer, and am not sure I want to spend the extra $300+

Decisions, decisions

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Tue May 11, 2010 7:05 pm

Yep, I'm running 10.3.9 with no issues with 6.4, but your next step up would be 002 and PT 6.9.2 for OS 10.4.11. Which given the processor restriction, you'd be better off going Intel with PT 8.0, an 003 and OS 10.5.

btw, if you were running FXpansion, there's this whole bottleneck that happens with OS 10.3.9 though. SO MANY MORE items run with 10.4.11. An 002 might make the most sense.

SaneMan
takin' a dinner break

Post by SaneMan » Tue May 11, 2010 8:29 pm

Oh crap, Pro Tools 8 only works with Intel macs? This is really starting to aggravate me.

So if I buy an mbox 2, which comes with pro tools 8, I can't use that either? So instead I would have to buy an outdated regular mbox? That would just seem stupid.

I just want it to work like it did last week. But nothing is compatible, even if I buy new stuff, then I just have buy more new stuff to support the other new stuff.

Oh, and I can't afford a 003 (I wish I could, but then I guess I'd need the new intel computer too), I can't even afford an mbox 2 really. This sucks. Guess I need to track down OS X 10.3 is the only answer

brew
pushin' record

Post by brew » Mon May 31, 2010 10:46 am

SaneMan wrote:Oh crap, Pro Tools 8 only works with Intel macs? This is really starting to aggravate me.
Not correct. Up through 8.0.1 works on PowerPC. 8.0.3 is Intel only.

The original mBox even works on 8.0.1. This info is all available from Avid:

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Mon May 31, 2010 3:46 pm

SaneMan wrote:Oh crap, Pro Tools 8 only works with Intel macs? This is really starting to aggravate me.

So if I buy an mbox 2, which comes with pro tools 8, I can't use that either? So instead I would have to buy an outdated regular mbox? That would just seem stupid.

I just want it to work like it did last week. But nothing is compatible, even if I buy new stuff, then I just have buy more new stuff to support the other new stuff.

Oh, and I can't afford a 003 (I wish I could, but then I guess I'd need the new intel computer too), I can't even afford an mbox 2 really. This sucks. Guess I need to track down OS X 10.3 is the only answer
And add to that Mozilla Firefox no longer supports OS 10.4.11 so you have to get an 003 with PT 8 to run on OS 10.5 or OS 10.6 if you need to get online for authorizations in the process.