Behringer Truth B3031A - anyone hear/see these?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

pixeltarian
buyin' gear

Behringer Truth B3031A - anyone hear/see these?

Post by pixeltarian » Sat May 15, 2010 11:40 pm

I've got some tannoy reveal 5a monitors. I want to get something bigger, but don't have much cash other than what I can sell the reveals for. these seem like they might be a decent choice. does anyone out there own a pair or have you heard them?
"Every person who wins in any undertaking must be willing to cut all sources of retreat."
- Napoleon Hill

http://www.jeffreyjamesmusic.com
spook folk

http://www.myspace.com/tonguesonpaper
electro atmospheric rock

Wagz
takin' a dinner break

Post by Wagz » Sun May 16, 2010 5:36 am

I've got a pair of KRK RP5's back home and where I work we use the B3031A's and The Behringers translate a lot better than the KRK's. It took a while for me to tame the low's because they are pretty close to a wall. Ended up having a tendency to over-mix my vocals. But yeah, they work all right. The 8 inch woofers give you some decent definition on the lows, at least much more than 5's

That being said for my next upgrade I'm planning on holding out and getting something a little nicer.
Snoring Hound Studio
Kalisepll, MT

Jitters
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jitters » Sun May 16, 2010 11:22 am

I have the B2030A's and I think they translate pretty well. I'm not sure how they compare to the B3031A's. I'm sure there are better monitors out there if you want to pay for them, but I'm in no hurry to replace them.

Wagz
takin' a dinner break

Post by Wagz » Sun May 16, 2010 11:51 pm

I think it goes without saying that their are better monitors than Behringer :)
Price is always the kicker..

I'm leaving my current job here in a few weeks meaning I have to go back to mixing on my KRK's. I want to get a setup with more definition as well, but no money at the moment.Would it be wiser for me to get a sub for my RP5's or for around the same price go for the Behringer B3031A's?

I'm looking to be able to afford some decent monitors by the end of the year (Looking at the Yamaha HS80M's) But I need something to tide me over until then as well.. and am sick of not being able to trust my RP5's.
Snoring Hound Studio
Kalisepll, MT

lionaudio
steve albini likes it

Post by lionaudio » Mon May 17, 2010 8:37 am

I would suggest getting a $100 dollar set of headphones. If you keep buying cheap gear that doesn't sound good, you will end up wasting money over time trying to "work your way up" to something that you love. Monitors always depreciate in value, so buying and then selling, then buying again doesn't make alot of sense. Keep saving and then buy something that you will keep for a long time.

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Mon May 17, 2010 11:40 am

I have heard the older Truth monitors, and they seemed to be little bass heavy, but otherwise ok.

The problem with Behringer gear is never the sound quality; it's the build quality, and reliability.

Get the warranty.
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Mon May 17, 2010 2:18 pm

I just heard a pre-production pair of Tannoy 510A's. They are cheap and they sound really great. Port on the front. Decent amount of bass. Not scooped.
Want to hear the 610A because bigger woofer usually = nicer bottom, but will have to wait until July when they come out.
"Analog smells like thrift stores. Digital smells like tiny hands from far away." - O-it-hz

musicians are fuckers, but even worse are people who like musicians, they're total fuckers.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Mon May 17, 2010 3:15 pm

No real comment on the Behringer's, but man....almost everything I've ever used by them has a terrible build quality. Right now I'm using a pair of KRK RK5's (1st gen). I'm not impressed. Mixes don't really translate too well, and bass imaging is pretty hit and miss. Room treatment helped, but now I can just hear their flaws even more. I'm in the market for something new.

Check out these two - lots of posts about thier quality.
Wharfedales Diamonds - active
http://www.zzounds.com/item--WHADP82A

I'm leaning going towards a pair of these:
Axiom M2 - passive - you'll need an amp too!

Still unsure, though. Personally I'd love a pair of focal monitors, but until I can afford those.....

daveg62
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by daveg62 » Mon May 17, 2010 4:49 pm

I have a set of the Truth passive models that I started mixing with. Used them quite a bit, so I became very familiar with them. Not all that bad , really. The low end is a little elusive and a bit hard to get right when mixing is the only thing I remember having trouble with, but then again I've always found working with the low end to be the hardest for me for some reason. I upgraded to a set of Dynaudio's which are better but I still think the Behringer's are not all that bad, they sometimes get a bad rap but some of there equipment is quite nice. If they fit your budget, I'd say go with it.

Jitters
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jitters » Mon May 17, 2010 7:39 pm

Ryan Silva wrote:I have heard the older Truth monitors, and they seemed to be little bass heavy, but otherwise ok.

The problem with Behringer gear is never the sound quality; it's the build quality, and reliability.

Get the warranty.
Now that you mention it I remember setting the switch in the back to attenuate the lows early on. I had forgotten all about it!