Pink Floyd Drums

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Winstontaneous
takin' a dinner break

Post by Winstontaneous » Mon May 24, 2010 3:37 pm

Only thing I can add is I LOVE how Roger's bass & Nick's BD hits are locked so tight on DSOTM...like one big instrument.

Nate Dort
tinnitus

Post by Nate Dort » Mon May 24, 2010 5:53 pm

Try growing up with a last name like Dort. Yeah, those jokes never got old. :roll:

Anyway, hopefully you guys have all heard this by now: http://rainwarrior.thenoos.net/music/moon8.html

RefD
on a wing and a prayer

Post by RefD » Tue May 25, 2010 3:02 am

wait, i thought Mason was playing Premiers (the same ones he'd been using since the Barrett days) until the second DSOTM tour and THEN he switched to Ludwigs?

at any rate, that sparkle kit on Live At Pompeii is definitely that Premier kit.
?What need is there to weep over parts of life? The whole of it calls for tears.? -- Seneca

buenavista
studio intern

Re:

Post by buenavista » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:00 pm

Digging up old threads then commenting. My favorite internet past time.

On Dark Side:
cgarges wrote:
Mon May 17, 2010 10:25 pm
. . . They're not being played very hard, and there's not much ambient quality to the recording that would identify the drum brand by sound.
I'm supposing "ambience" here, or lack thereof, is the natural room sound? But just wondering about the drum reverb I hear, say on "Breathe". Is it a plate reverb I'm hearing on that snare? I mean the drums have some decent space around them right? Or are they drier than I think?

Such a fun album to listen to from a production perspective. That vocal on "Great Gig in the Sky" is downright astonishing. I also think it's interesting that in the mix the vocal feels like it is a background vocal, not slammed right in your face. There is a section in the song towards the end where the vocal gets drier and right in your face, then it drifts off with a long reverb at the very end.

drumsound
zen recordist

Re: Re:

Post by drumsound » Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:29 pm

buenavista wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:00 pm
Digging up old threads then commenting. My favorite internet past time.

On Dark Side:
cgarges wrote:
Mon May 17, 2010 10:25 pm
. . . They're not being played very hard, and there's not much ambient quality to the recording that would identify the drum brand by sound.
I'm supposing "ambience" here, or lack thereof, is the natural room sound? But just wondering about the drum reverb I hear, say on "Breathe". Is it a plate reverb I'm hearing on that snare? I mean the drums have some decent space around them right? Or are they drier than I think?

Such a fun album to listen to from a production perspective. That vocal on "Great Gig in the Sky" is downright astonishing. I also think it's interesting that in the mix the vocal feels like it is a background vocal, not slammed right in your face. There is a section in the song towards the end where the vocal gets drier and right in your face, then it drifts off with a long reverb at the very end.
It was done at Abbey Road, so possibly the chamber was used.

cgarges
zen recordist

Re: Pink Floyd Drums

Post by cgarges » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:31 am

I would definitely say artificial reverb. Chamber or plate.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC