Something "like" a juno 106 but newer, cheaper

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kuene
takin' a dinner break

Something "like" a juno 106 but newer, cheaper

Post by kuene » Tue May 18, 2010 12:54 pm

Hi, I am not a big synth snob. We currently use a space-mate's 106 for a few songs where we need some synth bits. We just use about 3 of the default patches and tweak the release on some of them - nothing fancy, and we only use it in live, loud indie rock - so we aren't talking about fine nuances of synth detail.

space-mate's are leaving and the juno is too. what would you all recommend as a good 61-key replacement that is more plentiful and reliable (probably much newer) and just not as damn "cool" so I don't have to spend 500 bucks on a vintage piece of delicate and many-parted gear that will probably crap out in a couple months.

I don't care how dorky it is if it can do some basic drones and pads and stabs and has some tweak-ability in the envelope.

boing.

slowcentury
gettin' sounds

Post by slowcentury » Tue May 18, 2010 7:29 pm

I found an Akai AX60 a few months ago and im super happy with it. It's one of the last generation original analog synths (1985), still with voltage controlled oscillators and the ability to write sounds digitally. People often compare it to the Juno series of synths, I would say its similar in set up but a much stranger synth over all. It has some pretty unique filtering and modulation options. It's a bit more aggressive than a juno would be, think more like Trans Am Future World era aggression. But that said a totally awesome unique find... and cheap! I have come across a few of these in my day and all under $300! If you can find one of these it's totally worth it!

LazarusLong
steve albini likes it

Post by LazarusLong » Wed May 19, 2010 7:31 am

The truth of a proposition has nothing to do with its credibility. And vice versa.

slowcentury
gettin' sounds

Post by slowcentury » Wed May 19, 2010 8:36 am

The new Juno's sound nothing like the old ones. Find a real Juno or another analog poly synth. If you hunt around these things are often hiding in pawn shops and garage sales cheap!

DJ_LBP
takin' a dinner break

Post by DJ_LBP » Wed May 19, 2010 8:55 am

You can find a used Roland SH-201 for under or around 300 bucks. I think they are laid out kind of weird, but once you get familiar with it, its a fairly simply synth to drive.
Why not?

-Hunter S. Thompson

slowcentury
gettin' sounds

Post by slowcentury » Wed May 19, 2010 9:02 am

If you do want to find a modern synth you might be able to find a Korg R3 used for a a decent price too. I find those much nicer than the Sh201

goatboy
ass engineer

Post by goatboy » Wed May 19, 2010 9:10 am

The Alesis ION is a good solid analog modelling synth that can be had for pretty cheap. I had one for a while and it wil cop the Juno 106 pretty damn well (I know, I know analog purists, please don't hurt me :lol: )

slowcentury
gettin' sounds

Post by slowcentury » Wed May 19, 2010 9:16 am

goatboy wrote:The Alesis ION is a good solid analog modelling synth that can be had for pretty cheap. I had one for a while and it wil cop the Juno 106 pretty damn well (I know, I know analog purists, please don't hurt me :lol: )
Although I am an analog synth purist but I also agree that the Ion is pretty killer. It has some build/reliability issues but as long as you aren't rough with it, it should last you a good long time. Yes it sounds great!

kuene
takin' a dinner break

Post by kuene » Wed May 19, 2010 11:37 am

the Ion looks promising. I've been eyeing the Micron for a while, but I'd really rather have more than 37 keys, wish they made a 49-key version of that. I also need full-size keys (or close to full-size).

the juno-d looks like it might be cool given that it also has pianos and stuff - but that is more than I want to spend and I doubt I'd find a used one.

i was wondering if there was any slighty cheesy casio out there that might fit the bill. I used to have a casio cz-101, tiny thing, but I LOVED the sounds that thing ripped.

HuskerDude
pushin' record

Post by HuskerDude » Wed May 19, 2010 12:44 pm

A Korg DW-6000 or DW-8000 might be just what you're looking for. I think it's the same type of hybrid as the 106, but last I looked at least, a lot cheaper. Plus the built in delay sounds sweet.

Front End Audio
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Front End Audio » Wed May 19, 2010 2:20 pm

I really enjoy my Ensoniq esq-1 that I picked up for 175$ it has some really cool tone shaping capabilities! Have you thought about using soft-synths and a controller? It works for some people but not everyone so if not I understand! Otherwise I would just look for something like a korg poly-800 or MS-2000!

Cheers,
Nicholas
www.FrontEndAudio.com
Your Ultimate Pro Audio Dealer

Dakota
re-cappin' neve

Post by Dakota » Wed May 19, 2010 8:13 pm

HuskerDude wrote:A Korg DW-6000 or DW-8000 might be just what you're looking for. I think it's the same type of hybrid as the 106, but last I looked at least, a lot cheaper. Plus the built in delay sounds sweet.
Not the same type of hybrid as the juno 106, those DW's are early digital oscillators, but the filters are entirely analog and sound really juicy and great. +1 anyway.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Wed May 19, 2010 8:42 pm

Alesis Ion is pretty awesome. The tweakability goes pretty deep. Stock sounds are kinda lame, so you gotta tweak away!

kuene
takin' a dinner break

Post by kuene » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:50 pm

so, i ended up picking up an alesis micron and I love it. it's hot! really really good sounds, and great tweak-ability.

goatboy
ass engineer

Post by goatboy » Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:45 am

kuene wrote:so, i ended up picking up an alesis micron and I love it. it's hot! really really good sounds, and great tweak-ability.
Good stuff, it's the exact same sound module as the ION so it sounds great :)