Tom Petty Drums

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed May 19, 2010 10:25 am

cgarges wrote:You need to lay off the herb.
*dons sunglasses and discreetly slides stash into couch cushions*

dude i don't smoke.

we'll just have to agree to disagree. i'm with jimmy iovine on this one. lynch has that sorta loping thing happening and i don't feel like he pushes the tunes the way they should be pushed. i've always thought ferrone has really solid time and a real nice pocket. 'american girl' with lynch on drums does absolutely nothing for me. with ferrone on drums it makes me cry. f'realz.

i'll admit i'm kinda talking out my ass here cause it's not like i've sat down with all the records and really studied them. just going off of the 'running down a dream' docu, which i've watched a half dozen times and can't recommend highly enough.

who's playing drums on 'full moon fever'? it's not lynch, right?

the finger genius
re-cappin' neve

Post by the finger genius » Wed May 19, 2010 10:39 am

Hmm, I'm thinking birch shells and maybe just 57s on the toms. maybe even take the bottom heads off? I seem to remember a lot of punch, and not so much note or ring on his tom sound. Overall a pretty standard sound, at least for that time.

It's been a while since I listened to any old TP albums though. Now I have something to do tonight.
vvv wrote:
That said, what I'm gettin' at is, perfectionism is for the truly defective.

You may quote me.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Wed May 19, 2010 12:48 pm

"Damn the Torpedoes" is still a prime example of completely neutral and 'real' engineering.

Shelly Yakus did amazing work on that album.

I can't tell you how many engineers came in to Master Control and that was the first disc they played to 'get to the know' the sound of the control room.

Do you have a copy of that?

MichaelAlan
tinnitus

Post by MichaelAlan » Wed May 19, 2010 3:09 pm

I'm just gonna throw in that this is a cool thread... I love the Petty drums sounds. I think "You don't Know How it Feels" might be my favorite drum recording ever.
All energy flows according to the whims of the great magnet...

sears
steve albini likes it

Post by sears » Wed May 19, 2010 3:46 pm

This is going to sound snobby but the Mobile Fidelity version of Hard Promises completely kicks ass. You can easily hear the room the lead guitar amp was in, in "The Waiting."

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed May 19, 2010 4:06 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
cgarges wrote: I'm not much of a Steve Ferrone fan, anyway.
really? i like his playing sooooo much better than stan lynch's.

anywhat, if a client asked for a 'tom petty' drum sound, i would assume they meant 'damn the torpedoes'. then i would call you and ask what to do.

if i had to guess, i'd say big drums, tuned low, no ring on the snare, no rimshots, close mics, no room, pillow in the kick and no front head, plate or something on the snare?
I'm Totally with Garges on the Ferrone thing. I argue with a good friend over it quite regularly. I've heard several drummers with Petty and Ferrone is IMNSHO the worst choice for the gig. No swing, no swagger, right on top of the click, boring. Stan Lynch-great, Keltner-what more needs to be said?, Kurt Bisquera-awesome pocket and vibe, Dave Grolhl-DAVE GROHL, all of the sound better in that gig.

As for getting a Stan Lynch thing, you need bigger drums. Your sets all sound great, but the Lynch things is big loosely tuned, muffled drums. Paper towels and tape esp on the snare. THUDDY! Big but thin cymbals on the dark side but not DeJohnnette dark. No front head on the BD. Dynamic mics for SD and toms (421=big dumb rock), SDC on the OH. Maybe a predelayed short dark plate type 'verb.

Use matching pres so it sounds like a studio in the late 70s that used the pres on the console. Hell, use the console!!! Go real crazy and cut it at Welcome to 1979 and use the MCI 400 pres! ;)

And here's on odd ball thing, if the drummer can play traditional grip. Stan Lynch's backbeat is TOTALLY tied to traditional grip.
Last edited by drumsound on Thu May 20, 2010 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Wed May 19, 2010 7:02 pm

MichaelAlan wrote:I'm just gonna throw in that this is a cool thread... I love the Petty drums sounds. I think "You don't Know How it Feels" might be my favorite drum recording ever.

Not one single cymbal crash:)

SkullChris
takin' a dinner break

Post by SkullChris » Wed May 19, 2010 7:14 pm

Totally unrelated to the era in question, but the first 2 seconds of "Something In the Air" gives me the biggest boner. Probably my favorite drum sound in my record collection.
"Live to Win!"
brieflives.bandcamp.com
lubec.bandcamp.com/
hexmachinery.blogspot.com/

alex matson
re-cappin' neve

Post by alex matson » Wed May 19, 2010 8:39 pm

I'm not sure this will help, but hell...it can't hurt.

Watch the documentary 'Running Down A Dream.'
There's lots of footage of Damn The Torpedos being tracked, along with interviews with Iovine specifically talking about hat he had to do to improve Lynch's drum sound, starting with buying him a whole new kit. There has to be something in that footage that discerning eyes/ears could pick up on. I'm going to watch the relevant parts right now and report back if anything jumps out.

Meanwhile:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4nPa35CZPI

alex matson
re-cappin' neve

Post by alex matson » Wed May 19, 2010 9:09 pm

Okay - the drum talk starts in around 1'18". Nothing really jumped out at me. Shelly Yakus engineered. Jimmy Iovine talks a little bit about how he felt Stan's drumming was kind of plodding, Tom says they actually tried out different drummers but no one did it better. I dunno.

mertmo
buyin' gear

Post by mertmo » Thu May 20, 2010 8:11 am

Drumsound's post nailed it on all accounts.

The drum sound

The Ferrone/Lynch debate.

Can't say any of it any better.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu May 20, 2010 8:11 am

Watching the TP documentary right now... darn it's good.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Thu May 20, 2010 9:14 am

this is not the exact picture I had in my head, but this is close to what I always think of when I hear Stan Lynch and the "Tom Petty" drum sound... big drums. big fat muffled snare too.

I also have to ask - is the Steve Ferrone hatred with Tom Petty all his fault? Or is it a result of being overly Pro-tooled and forced to a grid, or told "make this sound like a drum machine"? I've never seen him play live (at least not in person) but I have heard recordings he played on that I like. ZZ Top albums used to have a lot more swagger too when Frank Beard actually played the drums :wink:
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Neil Weir
pushin' record

Post by Neil Weir » Thu May 20, 2010 10:19 am

"Shelly Yakus II: Petty?s Torpedoes and Beyond"

Interview and photos by Bruce Borgerson

Getting from the big picture down to specifics, I?m an ex-drummer myself, and your drum sounds?at least since Damn the Torpedoes?have always sounded huge and real, almost bigger than life. The Shelly Yakus drum sound is what you always wanted your drums to sound like live, but never did. How do you make that come out on tape?

Well, with Stan Lynch, when he came to the sessions the first day, I tried to record his drums and finally looked at him and said, ?Stan, these sound like punk drums. I?m not going to be able to get what you expect from me with this set.? So we went out to Valley Music and they gave us whatever we wanted to use. So we put together a new set, some of it his and some borrowed, and used heads that complemented the shells, so if the shells were live we had deader heads to tone them down. The tuning and the miking was the key to how we got that sound, and Stan?s patience. We kept fooling with different snares until we got one we liked, and worked on the tuning of that. There?s no real formula here. It?s just experimenting.

Did you use close mics, or distant?

We did both. I remember exactly what I did. Okay, I?ll spill the beans here. Now some of this is what I do on just about every kit I record, but one thing is unique with Stan. On his kick I use a Sennheiser 441. For most drums it doesn?t sound right, but for that shell and that head it was the only mic that recorded in a way that we were looking for. It was so live, so hot sounding, that everything else sounded small. The 441 is a dry, dead sounding mic, but still has quality. I also had a SM57 that I mixed in if I needed it, though you always have to make sure the phase is right. Sometimes I would mix in the 57, sometimes I wouldn?t.

How were they positioned relative to each other?

The 441 was off to the side, pointing toward the back head, about halfway inside the shell, at an angle toward the beater. The 57 was just outside the edge of the drum, but set slightly further away. You know, the sound of the instrument really doesn?t take on all its characteristics until about three feet away, that goes for drums and horns and all sorts of instruments. But normally it?s not possible to pull three feet away, or you?ll pick up everything else in the room. That?s why sometimes you have to use multiple mics, with different personalities. For example, on bass drum, sometimes I?ve used three different mics, and when you put them together they translate as bottom, middle and top. It?s just the nature of what they pick up and you build your bass drum sound from that.

What about other drums?

Anyway, on Stan?s stuff we used a 57 on the snare, I used a 57 on the hi-hit, I used U87?s on the tom-toms with a pad, and I used KM-86?s for overheads. Those are awesome overhead mics. They are the greatest for cymbals. They always come out sounding smooth, never jagged. And then there was the ?bleed? mic. When we were doing a rough vocal we noticed that Tom?s vocal mic was picking up some drums and giving it amazing sound overall. He was singing into the mic so we couldn?t use it, it would ruin it, so we put up another mic right near it. It was a SM58 or a 57, and put that on a separate track so we could mix that in. Sometimes we didn?t use it, but at other times it made a wonderful difference. Also, sometimes we would use an overhead shotgun mic straight down on the drums, sometimes we wouldn?t. It depended on how he hit the drums, which changes from track to track, and of course the tuning changes on the drums, too.

So I take it you?ve leaned the diplomacy of working with drummers on tuning!

Yes, it?s a fine art. With the Petty sessions, at the end of some takes, the snare drum head would start coming down in pitch, and once that happens, the sound of the snare?because it is leaking into every mic in the drum kit, even if you use a sample it?s still in there?it?s not the same as having the drum live in the room. The problem is, if you go just a hair too far, the snare drum loses it?s sound. Everything is maxed out. The sounds are just right, and if you go any further, it ain?t gonna sound like what you want. The drum can?t handle it. Tighten the toms more and they sound boingy, tighten the snare more suddenly it gets thin. We?ve gotten everything maxed by having the right shells and the right heads and the right mics all set the right distance away, and a little luck and the planets lining up and all the electrons in a row.

You have all that going on and at the end of a take its dangerous to say to a drummer, ?Hey just bring up the snare a little bit.? We have to work well together so that he understands what a little bit means. It?s the tiniest turn on they key. Then all of a sudden that snare drum pops back into perspective and focus again. Remember, I?m doing it like I learned, listening in mono, or a very narrow stereo, and everything is already in balance the way a finished record would be. If the snare drums changes sound, just a little bit, it drops back into the track because other instruments start to mask it. And it it?s changed from what we found works with the other instruments, then it?s not a good sound anymore. Today people use samples, but that hadn?t come into vogue by that time. So its? still the same theory as back when we were doing four track or eight track. You had to get it right. I still think that?s the only way of bringing a band to the finish line in way?I mean, how many years has it been since some of these records? Twenty, thirty years?"
Neil Weir

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Thu May 20, 2010 11:02 am

mertmo wrote:Drumsound's post nailed it on all accounts.

The drum sound

The Ferrone/Lynch debate.

Can't say any of it any better.
Why thank you, Sir.