Tom Petty Drums

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Fri Jun 04, 2010 5:53 pm

drumsound wrote:
MoreSpaceEcho wrote:hehe you really hate def leppard don't you?
with a passion---its more of a Mutt thing, but they are the worst (best) of his BS.
Honestly though, doesn't anyone miss those decadent excesses in music these days?

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:55 pm

@?,*???&? wrote:Honestly though, doesn't anyone miss those decadent excesses in music these days?
Shania Twain fan, huh?

Actually, don't you think the majority of commercial stuff on the radio regularly has a similar track count?

I wonder what the track count was on Damn The Torpedoes.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:04 am

@?,*???&? wrote:
drumsound wrote:
with a passion---its more of a Mutt thing, but they are the worst (best) of his BS.
Honestly though, doesn't anyone miss those decadent excesses in music these days?
nope. growing up on MTV in the 80s i thought most things sounded like shit. the gated reverb, the synths, chorusy guitars, super narrow bandwidth distorted guitars that sounded like mosquitos, singers singing to me from a mountaintop 10 miles away, mostly non-existent bass guitar. all of it sucked and i was glad when it went away.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:00 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
@?,*???&? wrote:
drumsound wrote:
nope. growing up on MTV in the 80s i thought most things sounded like shit. the gated reverb, the synths, chorusy guitars, super narrow bandwidth distorted guitars that sounded like mosquitos, singers singing to me from a mountaintop 10 miles away, mostly non-existent bass guitar. all of it sucked and i was glad when it went away.
no shit. Doesn't mean there weren't some good songs in the '80s though. I remember hating "Voices Carry" by 'Til Tuesday when it was out. Much much later I heard the album and thought, huh, this ain't so bad, what was I thinking? Then I ran across the "single mix" which is worlds different from what's on the album--every sin of 80s production and then some. Oh.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:46 am

oh yeah, loads of great songs. no argument there.

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:40 pm

@?,*???&? wrote:
drumsound wrote:
I hated the sound of everything big rock 80s. I was in high school and listened to things from the 60-70s because I couldn't stomach much of what was popular in the sequenced pop or 'verb laden rock. I did like some of the new wave synth stuff.

I think there's plenty of excess now in the recording process, it's just different things that people are being excessive about. 7 snare samples, 32 BD samples, micro editing, 84 guitar parts. 157 backing vocals, 207 mix revisions....

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:41 pm

cgarges wrote: I wonder what the track count was on Damn The Torpedoes.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
I'd guess a 24-track machine not always filled up.