smallish monitors with front ports suggestions please?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

tony moore
pushin' record

smallish monitors with front ports suggestions please?

Post by tony moore » Sat May 22, 2010 12:47 pm

hi,

i have an extremely not ideal musical workspace. i share a desk and an aging imac with my wife and tween and teen daughters. to make matters worse, this desk is against a wall, in a corner, in our family room. i'm typing this as my tween daughter practices piano behind me. i guess it is ideal in my world. anyway...

would anyone care to recommend some smallish monitors that don't have a rear port? i'd be ok using a system with a smaller sub too.

if it matters, my setup is minimalistic. i use an mbox mini as an interface, an art tubepac as a pre/di, and either protools le or garageband as the medium and listening thru headphones and a pair of old radio shack minimus 7's.

obviously, i'm not looking for perfection and my budget will reflect my rig. i also realize i can just go to my local megamusicmarket and listen, but i respect what i've read here for years and hope some of you will share any related experiences.

thanks!

tony

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Sat May 22, 2010 2:09 pm

B&W makes a bunch of front-ported stuff that can be pretty inexpensive for the quality (bang for the buck?).

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=b%26W+ ... m270.l1313
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Sat May 22, 2010 4:00 pm

Coming in July. I got to hear a pair the reps brought by. Tannoy 501A. $179 each.
Front port 5" two way self powered. Nice mids. Decent bottom. Great little speaks for $360 a pair. I predict they will be very popular. Not scooped like Alesis MkII.
"Analog smells like thrift stores. Digital smells like tiny hands from far away." - O-it-hz

musicians are fuckers, but even worse are people who like musicians, they're total fuckers.

tony moore
pushin' record

Post by tony moore » Tue May 25, 2010 6:50 pm

great news on the tannoys! i used their reveal active's in my old space and really liked them. thanks for the tip!

tony

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Thu May 27, 2010 10:14 am

Hope I'm not too far off base here, but if you have a power amp you might consider JBL Control One's. They're totally inexpensive, built like a tank, front ported, can handle like 150 watts of power and handle bass really well. I dig mine for nearfield monitoring and wouldn't give them up.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna