That 60s Background Singers sound

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

roseylarose
audio school graduate

That 60s Background Singers sound

Post by roseylarose » Tue May 25, 2010 10:42 am

Hey there -
So I've been experimenting trying to emulate that beautiful dreamy sound of background singers you hear on the likes of the great Johnny Horton and Lee Hazlewood recordings (among many others).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3fZ1X9kgtM

I've tried getting a group of singers together and adding some reverb and a little distortion, and even using a little theremin or saw to replace of layer.

There's a certain unexplainable golden sheen to these voices thats pretty impossible to recreate. But I wanted to throw it out there and see if anyone's tried this or has any ideas... filters or even samples of any type. thanks

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue May 25, 2010 12:56 pm

Don't discount arrangement.

EggyToast
ass engineer

Post by EggyToast » Tue May 25, 2010 1:42 pm

I may be wrong, but isn't most of this older stuff recorded rather simply with what would now pass as mediocre equipment (useful nowadays mostly as a curiosity or for a specific sound, rather than for fidelity)? And probably only 1 microphone recording the entire vocal group. I mean, stereo was a pretty big deal in the late 50s, and multitrack recording was considered amazing in the 40s. Perhaps the problem is you're approaching this with too modern of a mindset -- did Johnny Horton use theremins or synths? No, he used the studio technology of the time, which was less advanced than what we have now.

Again, my recollection might be off, but wasn't all reverb physical plate or spring reverb in the 50s? Plate reverb is known for that odd shimmery sound, so if you're putting clean digital reverb on your group it might explain why it doesn't sound like the old stuff.

lyman
re-cappin' neve

Post by lyman » Tue May 25, 2010 2:02 pm

the theremin was actually invented in 1919.

swafford
pluggin' in mics

Post by swafford » Tue May 25, 2010 2:37 pm

EggyToast wrote:I may be wrong, but isn't most of this older stuff recorded rather simply with what would now pass as mediocre equipment (useful nowadays mostly as a curiosity or for a specific sound, rather than for fidelity)?
You mean like the V76, RCA Op6, RCA 44's and Neumann u47's?

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue May 25, 2010 3:12 pm

drumsound wrote:Don't discount arrangement.
Arrangement and performance. Those singers are singing very very quietly. Probably one mic, plate or chamber reverb. Sounds like either the mics are a ways away or the direct sound is mixed down relative to the reverb return (use a pre-fader send for this). Try a ribbon or dynamic rather than a condenser maybe.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

the finger genius
re-cappin' neve

Post by the finger genius » Tue May 25, 2010 3:36 pm

I would try reamping in a reverberant room.
vvv wrote:
That said, what I'm gettin' at is, perfectionism is for the truly defective.

You may quote me.

Nick Frater
pluggin' in mics

Post by Nick Frater » Tue May 25, 2010 4:45 pm

One mic at a distance from TIGHT singers. The tails are spot on in the linked example. If the part is a crotchet it ends bang on, so do the minims! Such a subtle thing to do but really tight live singing will always song better than any vocal aligning nonsense! Good luck!

JWL
deaf.

Post by JWL » Tue May 25, 2010 10:43 pm

Tight singers, great room, time spent getting the sound right in the room (ie, each singer the right distance from the mic to get a good sound).

mrb
ass engineer

Post by mrb » Wed May 26, 2010 8:41 am

JWL wrote:Tight singers, great room, time spent getting the sound right in the room (ie, each singer the right distance from the mic to get a good sound).
Sure, and as somebody has pointed, echo chambers.
The EMT plate was introduced in the 50s but many studios kept using their live chambers.
i think Liam Watsom (Toe Rag) keeps using his echo chamber:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-0r1wcA ... re=related

Check "Studio Stories" from David Simmons. Some classic New york recording were made in synagogues! That's a great room sound.

i wouldn't use distortion, it's more tape compression and a bit lack of definition because of the bouncing.
Max RB

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: That 60s Background Singers sound

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed May 26, 2010 8:57 am

roseylarose wrote:Hey there -
So I've been experimenting trying to emulate that beautiful dreamy sound of background singers you hear on the likes of the great Johnny Horton and Lee Hazlewood recordings (among many others).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3fZ1X9kgtM

I've tried getting a group of singers together and adding some reverb and a little distortion, and even using a little theremin or saw to replace of layer.

There's a certain unexplainable golden sheen to these voices thats pretty impossible to recreate. But I wanted to throw it out there and see if anyone's tried this or has any ideas... filters or even samples of any type. thanks
A.- It's either a LDC tube or ribbon mic. I say Tube mic.

B.- The singers are about 3 feet from the mic.

C.- The tape recorded onto has lost it's high end, so the balance engineer made up for that with EQ. try a Pultec type EQ starting at 10K, up about 3-5 dB. BUT, if you are recording to digital, then you need to DULL IT DOWN, not make it more top-endy.

D.- LOTS OF REVERB. I say real chambers were used here. LOTS OF REVERB.

E.- The ARRANGEMENT is key here too.

F.- They REHEARSED the part before laying it down. REHEARSED A LOT.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Wed May 26, 2010 11:24 am

More than one singer on a part and singers who can blend with each other.
"Analog smells like thrift stores. Digital smells like tiny hands from far away." - O-it-hz

musicians are fuckers, but even worse are people who like musicians, they're total fuckers.

TimOBrien
pluggin' in mics

Post by TimOBrien » Wed May 26, 2010 6:43 pm

No one mentions the T-word? TALENT

Most of those singers grew up singing in church choirs with NO amplification from the time they were 7 years old.

Throw a ribbon mic in front of them in a great room and they couldn't help but be spectacular....

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed May 26, 2010 7:34 pm

TimOBrien wrote:No one mentions the T-word?
One hopes it might go without saying.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

roseylarose
audio school graduate

Post by roseylarose » Wed May 26, 2010 8:47 pm

thanks for all the suggestions (minus the few, weird negative ones)
best,