square state solid state EQ

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

joel hamilton
zen recordist

square state solid state EQ

Post by joel hamilton » Wed May 26, 2010 7:39 am

I have been trying out the "Square state Solid State" EQ. The Model 1B.
This eq is completely great, and it is super inexpensive. I am not sure how much it will retail for, but the list price as i understand it, is under 550 dollars US !!! Crazy inexpensive for a really well made EQ that is holding its own, currently, against the 2 Pultec EQP1R's, Mercury EQP1, Neumann PEV, Melcor GME20's, Manley Massive Passive, Chandler Curve Bender and Silicon Graphic, and also the Neve 31102's in the rack and the 31114's in the console.
With that much great EQ around, something really needs to be great for us to even think about going to it on the patch bay. Stuff that doesnt get used at Studio G winds up out of the rack, so something useful can actually get the coveted patch point and space in the rack.
The EQ 1B is a 1U unit, not too deep, and doesnt weigh very much.
It has a really cool tone and i cant believe it doesnt cost double what it costs.
It has a Low Shelf/Bell, Selectable mid with 5 or 6 frequencies, and a high Shelf/bell. All are boost or cut.
The frequency selector on the high and low bands also selects shelf or bell, which is a little weird, but kind of a cool, different interface that made me think differently about how I am using this thing. the mids are a fixed Q bell, and very wide when only boosting a little, but getting "pointier" as you approach max gain.
The sound of this EQ is really cool, the design is simple and really effective. Overall, I could see having a pair of these things and getting a lot of use out of them.
This EQ has not got massive amounts of headroom, but used correctly it sounds great. The cool thing about the lack of headroom is that it seems to really hate dealing with the mids most of all, but it becomes a great "poor mans" culture vulture at whatever mid frequency you are attempting to boost ridiculously. To be fair, it takes a stupid amount of boost to get it to drive, and I like the fact that it can even go past "safe" in the mids.
One other detail that i wish would be implemented, and hopefully wouldnt drive the street price up: Detents at "0" on each frequency, and an "off" position for each band. I LOVE EQ's that I can just make a little mid cut without going through all the other stuff in the box, and I also like to be able to take those filters out of the path to simply zero the unit out. Yes, i know there is a bypass button on this EQ... but thats the whole unit IN/OUT, and not each filter. Doable? I dunno. I just use the stuff.
This EQ really made my day on a cello, on a new record by a group called "The Parkington Sisters" and it helped out a violin and a concert bass drum as well.
It really has a cool tone, like an old school 4-track EQ but with "pro" features. I mean that with total love for some of the old 4 track EQ's. Something like a cross between that and the "oomph" of the low bands on my Neve EQ's, but with a hard-to-define-overall-compression-or-saturation-thing that is very pleasing. Its hard to describe, you just need to try one on a drum and crank the hell out of the bottom. It really seems to sit nicely....
Overall, the reason I am posting this is because the EQ sounds great and is an affordable piece of real gear that is made by good people. Thats the kind of stuff I really like to support. This is the kind of gear youcan feel good about owning, because it is unique and well made and not just a mass manufactured thingy from a giant store where nbody gives a crap about you or your needs as an engineer.
I am going to talk to these guys about getting one with detents and an off position for each band... :)
Enjoy.
http://squarestatesolidstate.com/products.html
^^^^^^^Actual information, rather than my opinionated blather....

nick_a
buyin' gear

Post by nick_a » Wed May 26, 2010 10:57 am

Awesome. I was wondering about these. Thanks, joel!

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed May 26, 2010 12:48 pm

I actually asked the designers to post about the design decisions here... Hopefully they will answer soon.
Glad.
They are great guys.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Wed May 26, 2010 1:15 pm

Some hardware Pultec attitude would be immensely appreciated at that price, especially the ballsy a$$ mids (IMO).
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Wed May 26, 2010 1:21 pm

KennyLusk wrote:Some hardware Pultec attitude would be immensely appreciated at that price, especially the ballsy a$$ mids (IMO).
Agreed. Its a KILLER EQ at the price point. I am just being a brat about the detents and the "off" selection on each band...

The low and high end can do some serious OOMPH on a given source. I am really impressed by this thing. with something this awesome at this price point, I need to get a pair to put in a mobile rig or to bring to studios that dont have EQ's and I dont want to fly with pultecs in my pockets....

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Wed May 26, 2010 2:08 pm

I've been eying these for a while. Glad to here some good feedback from someone who has access to lots of high end gear. Thanks for taking time to comment Joel!

There was a post a couple months back that the designer commented on breifly, but it'd be nice to here some more info.

san luis sound
audio school

Post by san luis sound » Wed May 26, 2010 3:10 pm

joel hamilton wrote:I actually asked the designers to post about the design decisions here... Hopefully they will answer soon.
Glad.
They are great guys.
Hey folks!

In response to the review I thought I'd give every one a bit of a back story and offer some insight into our mindset going into production. First I need to say thanks to Joel for the kind words, we in the Tape Op community are lucky to have such a great resource in the form of his experience and knowledge!

So when we set out to get the model one b into production we had a laundry list of "must have's", here's the Cliffs Notes version -

1) It's got to sound great (duh)
The prototype my partner came up with some years ago sounded fantastic. It beat the pants off of my Trident 24's channel strip EQ's and his Soundcraft 400 (or is it 600? Sorry Byron). We could've stopped there and been very happy with the results but some redesign and specific component choices took it to the next level. That coupled with the very nature of an inductor based circuit - saturation and added harmonic content - got us to an EQ that can hold it's own with much higher end units.

2) Made in the USA
Without getting on a soap box about politics I can say keeping it in our neck of the woods is nice. We searched the world over for enclosures and ended up using a great place right down the road that custom builds our cases and front panels. Our PCB's are made locally and of course all the assembly, burn in and testing is done by us right here in Colorado, USA.

3) $500 street price
So we're a couple of budget minded studio owners - building our own gear, wiring our own bays, modding stuff, clipping coupons, cleaning our own toilets...you get the picture. It was decided that $500 was the price to hit. How we got there will hopefully answer some of Joel's (and your) questions.

Gold contact relay switches, Neutrik combo connectors, Q control, center detent pots, independent bell/shelf switching, a bypass for each band, an articulated drink holder arm. These things are all very cool BUT, they add to the cost. We had to think from the inside out. The filter circuit itself sounds great - wide bells with a generous amount of cut and boost, very usable frequency points and that magic thing that happens when an inductor saturates. But to keep the model one b to $500 and made in the USA we had to lose a few bells and whistles. Specifically the center detent pots - many of them are not at a null point when mechanically centered, they may have clicked into center but your signal is still slightly cut or boost - getting pots that would really bypass a particular band when centered would just have raised the cost too much. TRS jacks cost less and many users who build their own cables will welcome the easier to construct and less expensive cabling option. An outboard power supply is employed because it reduces potential hum in an inductor circuit, is already CE compliant and reduces the cost, the list goes on.

There were a lot of choices and decisions to make but at the end of the day we feel pretty confident that we met our goals. I hope this offers a few answers. Don't hesitate to post with comments or questions and thanks for the time!
Joe
square state solid state

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Wed May 26, 2010 3:12 pm

Yeah, this thing's pretty amazing. I've got a review in the bag that'll find a home soon, but I think it's more than fair to say here that I love it.

fuzz
takin' a dinner break

Post by fuzz » Wed May 26, 2010 4:40 pm

I saw this at Marks and heard it at g last week when Fransisco fired it up. I wanted to hear it on a snare and liked it a lot. It had kinda of a slight honk when pushed in the mids that I liked. I googled it after mark showed me it and I think I saw the price at 400 something but could be wrong. Really a nice sounding piece for what I've heard so far.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Wed May 26, 2010 5:21 pm

http://www.zenproaudio.com/squarestatesolidstateeq.aspx

$950 for a pair is pretty sweet. Next piece of gear i'll buy for sure.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Wed May 26, 2010 7:44 pm

Looks like there's $225.00 in parts here, tops. What's the design worth? Another hundred bucks. $325.00 should be the retail price here. Then again, the faceplate design could be more expensive in small runs. Maybe $400.

How much could the Chinese make this for?

Under $100.

For the TapeOp community, what's it worth?

Andy Peters
re-cappin' neve

Post by Andy Peters » Wed May 26, 2010 8:34 pm

@?,*???&? wrote:Looks like there's $225.00 in parts here, tops. What's the design worth? Another hundred bucks. $325.00 should be the retail price here. Then again, the faceplate design could be more expensive in small runs. Maybe $400.

Under $100.

You know nothing about how most electronics products are priced.

If the BOM is $225, they're leaving money on the table by charging only $500.

-a
"On the internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

Jitters
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jitters » Wed May 26, 2010 9:24 pm

Can I get a little less @?,*???&? in my monitor?

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Wed May 26, 2010 11:41 pm

Just him out of the mix completely... Yeah there ya go

the finger genius
re-cappin' neve

Post by the finger genius » Thu May 27, 2010 7:38 am

@?,*???&? wrote:Looks like there's $225.00 in parts here, tops. What's the design worth? Another hundred bucks. $325.00 should be the retail price here. Then again, the faceplate design could be more expensive in small runs. Maybe $400.

Under $100.

This coming from the man that can't make a six pack of beer for under 21$
vvv wrote:
That said, what I'm gettin' at is, perfectionism is for the truly defective.

You may quote me.