Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mrc
re-cappin' neve

Post by mrc » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:41 pm

I have a 61 I bought a long time ago :shock: it's very nice

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Post by Bro Shark » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:01 pm

Definitely try before buying. I do not believe Gibson is turning out quality workmanship anymore. I own a 1993 Les Paul Studio and a 2006 Faded V. The difference between the two is night and day. As far as Gibsons go, I'd search the used market before buying new again. I had to get a full fret dress on the V to make it even remotely playable.

lionaudio
steve albini likes it

Post by lionaudio » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:56 pm

Vogon wrote:I think you should maybe include link to a reputable source when making that allegation...
I couldn't find annything except the "Illegal wood" story.
The allegation comes from walking into a guitar store with my friend/ guitarist who was looking for a les paul custom. we go in the back and there is a les paul custom in the corner and the sales guy says you don't want that then shows us the horrible binding job and the improperly cut headstock then tells us that it has become more and more common for them to send knock offs as real american gibsons. there's my link.. me

these_go211
pushin' record

Post by these_go211 » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:59 pm

gibson has made some horrible, lame, and offensive decisions. but they also continue to make some awesome guitars.
"well, it's one louder, isn't it...."

http://web.mac.com/chuckelizondo

suppositron
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by suppositron » Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:19 am

DJ_LBP wrote:
suppositron wrote:What are you guys seeing wrong with the new SGs? Mine seems pretty damn mint.
I have seen a couple with very poor logo/inlay work, and a couple others with finish issues (orange peel, overspray, drips, etc.) and still a few others that just didn't "feel" right. I know that's a very personal thing, and there are plenty of great new SGs out there, I just feel like you really have to play a few to find the right one.
Wow, that's too bad. Yeah no doubt their quality control isn't what it used to be. My '05 SG Standard is a beauty. The binding on the neck/ fret dressing job is perfect. The inlays are beautiful too. I certainly did try before I bought. You'd be stupid to spend that kind of money and not sit down with the thing for a half an hour and look it over and play it to see if it's up to par. That being said, the green key tuners aren't the best and the stock pickups aren't the hottest but they work just fine for me.

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:13 am

My 2002 Faded V and '05 SG came set up perfectly and all the workmanship seemed top notch to me. I have since sold almost every other guitar in my collection except for an early Japanese Strat. I have also bought a couple more Gibsons and to me my Gibsons are miles ahead of most other guitars I've owned in playability and sound.

fazeka
steve albini likes it

Post by fazeka » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:37 pm

these_go211 wrote:i have a 4 yr old sg classic that is one of the nicest guitars i've ever played.
Whirred.

I have one of the first from 1999 when they first started building them. They're kinda like a late-60s Special with P90s. Go to guitar, for sure. The neck profile is great, I think it's a "1960 slim taper". Anyone know for sure?

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:13 am

Reviving an old thread here...

I had the chance to check out a new SG standard recently. Guitar player for a band I was recording had one.

I didn't say this in front of him, of course, but man, what a piece of shit. Seriously felt like a toy compared to my '82. Light as a feather, neck felt like I was holding a piece of plastic (also significantly wider than mine), no balance to it, action was all out of whack (strings had to be 1/4" off the fretboard). Just felt so cheap and flimsy.

Mine feels like a good, strong, solid piece of mahogany. Like I'm holding a real instrument. What the hell happened?

Def. not buying one of those any time soon.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

these_go211
pushin' record

Post by these_go211 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:23 pm

fazeka, my SG classic's neck is not thin, seems pretty thick. i know the 61 re-issues have real thin necks.
"well, it's one louder, isn't it...."

http://web.mac.com/chuckelizondo

sears
steve albini likes it

Post by sears » Mon Oct 04, 2010 6:43 am

I think quality control is overrated when it comes to musical instruments, since you don't necessarily want consistency. Improving quality control is a tradeoff. For each dog you eliminate, you also eliminate a magical instrument. There are lots of very consistent and very boring instrument makers out there. Leave Gibsons the way they are (and Mexican Strats too).

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:02 am

sears wrote:I think quality control is overrated when it comes to musical instruments, since you don't necessarily want consistency. Improving quality control is a tradeoff. For each dog you eliminate, you also eliminate a magical instrument. There are lots of very consistent and very boring instrument makers out there. Leave Gibsons the way they are (and Mexican Strats too).
I see your point, but I don't no if I agree.

If you spend $1200 on a BRAND NEW instrument, you should take the thing home knowing that you have something built to a standard, and that is every bit as good as you deserve, for the money you've invested.

This bullshit of having to try out 20 different [again, brand new] Gibson SGs, to find a "good one" is crap, IMO.

They should all be of the same general quality right out of the box. Sure, you'd maybe try a few to find the ONE, that really speaks to you, but each one you try should at least be damn close in sound and build quality. It's just that little extra 2% of undefineable "magic" or inspiration that should tip you over the edge.

The quality of the build and sound of this particular SG was so far removed from my old one that it was laughable.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:14 am

I'm not entirely sure at this point that I believe some this Internet rhetoric about Gibson's lack of quality. In the late 80s, I seem to remember them having some quality issues but most people I know "in my daily life"(read: not people I've seen posting online), have a very respectable opinion of Gibson's output in recent years.
I personally own 4 Gibsons and each one is a real gem. A lot of people I know have moved from Fender to Gibson guitars in the 5 years and they have had great experiences with their instruments as well.

calaverasgrandes
ghost haunting audio students

Post by calaverasgrandes » Tue Oct 12, 2010 8:22 am

I dont know what happened to Gibson but sometime in the 90's I started seeing weird finsih defects on their instruments. I'm not so stuck up I can play a guitar with some orange peel on teh headstock. However I cant pay $2000 for that guitar!

I see decent Gibsons (and Guilds!) for less than a grand all the time on CL.
It does seem like as of late Gibson is all about gimicky stuff and less about craftmanship. Then there is the whole lack of a volute which will forever keep me off of that brand. I have NEVER seen an old Gibson that didnt have a re-glued headstock from a neck snap!
My buddies LP fell over onto a carpeted floor and snapped!
??????? wrote: "everything sounds best right before it blows up."