mixed and match drum recording

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:02 pm

EggyToast wrote:If I was a drummer and only had two mics/channels for recording, I'd probably try to tune my kit to sound good to myself, and then set up the mics right by my ears/shoulders so they'd pick up roughly what I hear, and get a good stereo image at that. But I'm not a drummer :D
Yeah, I mean that's the obvious answer, and often a good one. However I think we're all here because we love some craziness every once in a while.

That whole idea is both ridiculous and sublime.

Theo_Karon
pushin' record

Post by Theo_Karon » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:48 am

gabba wrote: theo-totally did all that. nah, just kidding. it's just an iphone. seriously though, it gets a good room sound. it's at least as good as those $79 handheld tascam things that used to cost a million dollars.

again, this is really about getting creative with what you have. i know a lot of this stuff nothing new, but everytime i hear some musician bro talk about his shitty midi controller drums he's laying down for a demo, i just wanna bring this stuff up.
Hey,

That's rad. I just assumed you were making some kind of insane joke, and I thought we were totally riffing there. Let's see how far I can fit my foot into my mouth. I guess I should have remembered being in high school and playing a drum set recording out of the speaker of one cassette recorder and recording that and a piano part played in the room onto another recorder... acoustic bouncing, pretty ridiculous.

Really, though, I didn't mean to piss on your parade. You're doing everything within your means to get the sounds you want to get, and that's awesome.

Peace,

Theo

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:03 am

Just as an example :

I am NOt a drummer, however there is a drumkit in my studio... I have done recordings where I only record a hihat, then a snare, then a kick, and it has it's own dead sound to it, which can be cool on some songs.

You can add the overhead mics on each pass and get you some fake ambience, if you want it.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.