Oktava MK-012 isssue

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

CharlesM
alignin' 24-trk

Oktava MK-012 isssue

Post by CharlesM » Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:17 pm

Hi all,

So I plugged in one of my normally great Oktava MK-012s today and it is suddenly putting out a lot of static hiss and a degraded signal. Swapped it with my other one just to check signal path and the other one is working fine. So it's an issue with that particular mic.

Anyone heard of this problem? Recommended fixes? Can someone point me to a good repair source in the metro-NY area if that becomes necessary?

Thanks a lot,
Charles

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Oktava MK-012 isssue

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:42 pm

CharlesM wrote:Hi all,

So I plugged in one of my normally great Oktava MK-012s today and it is suddenly putting out a lot of static hiss and a degraded signal. Swapped it with my other one just to check signal path and the other one is working fine. So it's an issue with that particular mic.

Anyone heard of this problem? Recommended fixes? Can someone point me to a good repair source in the metro-NY area if that becomes necessary?

Thanks a lot,
Charles
Hi,

For repairs, probably Michael Joly.

It sounds as if there is a capacitor that went faulty, and is allowing some voltage through it at all times, and not grounding properly anymore.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

standup
re-cappin' neve

Post by standup » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:04 pm

Couldn't this also relate to moisture in the capsule (humidity)?

Swapping cables is always a good practice.

Unscrew the capsule, clean the contacts, reassemble?

That's what I'd start with.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:31 pm

Swap heads between the two mics, see where the problem goes.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:28 am

standup wrote:Couldn't this also relate to moisture in the capsule (humidity)?
My experience with moisture in the capsules is that they'll just cut out. I haven't had any additional noise occur from that, but maybe it happens sometimes. Anyone know for sure?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:00 am

standup wrote:Couldn't this also relate to moisture in the capsule (humidity)?

Swapping cables is always a good practice.

Unscrew the capsule, clean the contacts, reassemble?

That's what I'd start with.
That is a possibility, however, with Small Diameter Condensers (SDCs) I usually find like cgarges, that they simply stop passing signal if the capsule gets moist.

I have seen this with LDCs, especially ones that are 1" or larger. The fix there is to get rid of the humidity slowly, with a dry silicon bag, placed inside a plastic baggie that can be sealed, like a resealable sandwich bag or similar. Trying another method might ruin the capsule...

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

CharlesM
alignin' 24-trk

Post by CharlesM » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:04 am

Thanks, guys. I'll see what I can do. It's a matched pair, so I hope I can fix this one. These are some of my favorite mics.

Harry
re-cappin' neve

Post by Harry » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:33 am

I have one that just stopped working too. I think it's pretty common with these "legends"

From the Oktavamod page...

MK-012 Repair Option $69.00

To upgrade a non-working MK-012 you must purchase this Repair Option as well at the MK-012 PE upgrade.

Non-working MK-012 mics require troubleshooting and parts replacement (often the capsule receiving connector) that go beyond the standard Premium Electronics option for MK-012 mics in good working order.

I'm thinking of getting the mod, and the repair.... or maybe just cut my losses?
I have a matched pair that I never really liked.... I bought a pair of RED caps that I really like.... SO now I like the mikes but now one doesn't work??
SOOOO.....As long as I'm sending it out for repair I might as well get the mods???
Add another $269 to what I already have into these things and I'm starting to feel like a bit of a sucker.

Michael_Joly
pushin' record

Post by Michael_Joly » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:46 am

Harry wrote:I have one that just stopped working too. I think it's pretty common with these "legends"

To upgrade a non-working MK-012 you must purchase this Repair Option as well at the MK-012 PE upgrade.

Non-working MK-012 mics require troubleshooting and parts replacement (often the capsule receiving connector) that go beyond the standard Premium Electronics option for MK-012 mics in good working order...
I've priced the repair this way because I'm not in the general mic repair business and prefer to add value through sonic upgrades. I offer the repair service as a courtesy service for folks who send in their mics for modification and need to also have them fixed. In some cases the Premium Electronics mod fixes the problem. In these cases I just refund the repair charge. In other cases it requires parts and labor beyond what is involved in the Premium Electronics upgrade hence the charge.

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:46 am

Re-seat the capsule.

I've had this problem and this is the solution. Pretty simple fix.

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:30 pm

Yep, I'd try switching the capsules around and see if the problem moves as stated above, though I also doubt it.

Spending an extra $250 on those oktavas is still worth it in my opinion. They're amazing mics. If you never need to sell them it doesn't matter how much you spent.

Of you could just find someone with an LCR tester and have them beep out the caps for you and tell you if that's the problem. They are a pretty simple circuit. Know any DIY dorks? Hell, I might be able to do it at strange weather if you want to come by at some point.

KennyLusk
dead but not forgotten

Post by KennyLusk » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:07 pm

Harry wrote:I have one that just stopped working too. I think it's pretty common with these "legends"

Non-working MK-012 mics require troubleshooting and parts replacement (often the capsule receiving connector) that go beyond the standard Premium Electronics option for MK-012 mics in good working order.

I'm thinking of getting the mod, and the repair.... or maybe just cut my losses?
I have a matched pair that I never really liked.... I bought a pair of RED caps that I really like.... SO now I like the mikes but now one doesn't work??
SOOOO.....As long as I'm sending it out for repair I might as well get the mods???
Add another $269 to what I already have into these things and I'm starting to feel like a bit of a sucker.
Harry, check to make sure you don't have a short inside the body where the xlr socket wires to the pcb. It happens sometimes. PIA though because those little screws are so tiny.
"The mushroom states its own position very clearly. It says, "I require the nervous system of a mammal. Do you have one handy?" Terrence McKenna

Harry
re-cappin' neve

Post by Harry » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:53 am

KennyLusk wrote:

Harry, check to make sure you don't have a short inside the body where the xlr socket wires to the pcb. It happens sometimes. PIA though because those little screws are so tiny.

....Man ..I have like ten giant thumbs that are only good for riding faders and bending the shit out of heavy gage guitar strings:)

By the way Mr. Joly.... I was in no way harshing on you're prices or services.
69 bucks is not a steep price for a repair IMO
I'm just starting to wonder if these mikes are worth the attention.
They're on my list....but pretty far down.

Michael_Joly
pushin' record

Post by Michael_Joly » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:03 pm

oh, no harshing heard!

Just wanted to explain my repair option and how its different than the mod.