Overstayer?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Overstayer?

Post by rhythm ranch » Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:22 pm

Anybody heard of, or used the Overstayer stereo compressor. It received rave reviews over at GS. Audio examples in the GS thread.

The standard unit goes for $500, variable release mod adds another $100 (listed as "introductory prices"). I couldn't resist and already ordered one of each.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:32 pm

Seems like the FMR stuff in a way, but quite a bit more expensive. Build quality seems simple and decent. I like that fact that is has a blend knob for parallel compression, thats pretty neat. I'll have to check out the samples when I have time. Be sure to post some feedback/samples when you get to mess with them.

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Wed Jun 09, 2010 1:09 pm

sure sounds like this has quite a bit more "magic" to offer than FMR... the comp is definitely going on my short list. rhythm, i hope you'll post some your thoughts when you get to play with it!

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Wed Jun 09, 2010 7:20 pm

drive knob looks fun

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:15 am

I will definitely share my review. I'm just surprised that nobody else has heard of these units.

Joel, you seem to know and have used every new product that comes down the pike - any experience with the Overstayers?

leigh
carpal tunnel

Re: Overstayer?

Post by leigh » Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:36 pm

rhythm ranch wrote:Anybody heard of, or used the Overstayer stereo compressor. It received rave reviews over at GS. Audio examples in the GS thread.
Looks interesting, I'll be curious to read more about these.

However, my first impression on visiting their website is a negative one - waiting for a giant image to load up (~10x more data than necessary for the layout) that no one bothered to scale down. Boo. Spelling counts, kids.

pulse_divider
steve albini likes it

Post by pulse_divider » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:39 pm

I'm interested in this too and searched a couple weeks ago for more user opinions, sound samples, etc and was surprised that there was not much here on Tape Op about it.
I did find a bunch of stuff on Gearslutz, including sound samples.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:49 pm

rhythm ranch wrote:I will definitely share my review. I'm just surprised that nobody else has heard of these units.

Joel, you seem to know and have used every new product that comes down the pike - any experience with the Overstayers?
:roll: Yes, I am a freak.
BUT: I havent tried these yet. I will probably grab one or two soon, though. I am putting together a rig that these would be a GREAT addition to. Another HD rig that can move around a bit..... I am looking at all the cool SMALL stuff, instead of trying to push a donkey like a sta-level around town, you know?
These things look super cool.
I had heard of them a while back, but I keep forgetting to get one!

daveg62
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by daveg62 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:25 pm

Just reviving an old thread since I have one of these on the way here. Anyone else have any experiences with these here?

changeng
audio school graduate

Post by changeng » Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:24 pm

WAAAYY good unit. more subtle than you'd expect from the descriptions on GS, it does great things to a drum buss and can sound kinda nice as a saturation effect on a two buss. very versatile - smetimes you can't even hear it until you A/B it. Jeff is developing a wilder version for me right now - will let you know what it's like.

daveg62
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by daveg62 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:13 pm

Sounds awesome, can't wait to get this. I usually take what I read on GS with a grain of salt so that's why I thought I'd get some feedback from here. I really like the design of this unit, hoping it will be a keeper. Jeff seems like a really cool guy, he was great to deal with and turns out he's originally from Pa near where I am.

changeng
audio school graduate

Post by changeng » Fri Jan 21, 2011 8:53 pm

Jeff is a great guy - showed me some of his prototypes he's working on in his "laboratory". The VCA he's working on will be incredible. I'm also toying with getting one of his mic preamps - didn't have one there to listen to, but the few reviews I've seen say it's got an old EMI sound to it.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:41 pm

thanks for the reminder... i was interested awhile back... but due to being completely broke ass.... new gear isn't an option for awhile, so my brain easily forgets about cool stuff coming out..

now i'm excited about these and the pres again.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:09 pm

Received the fet overstayer with variable release last week, used it on the drum buss this weekend... Love it!!

Did exactly what I want to "hear" on parallel drum buss, which is normally done with plug in comps before coming out to my board via a drum stem. I A-B'd between what I've been doing for years vs. The overstayer. In this instance, both sounded good, but the overstayer sounded "better".

Excited to put this to work with the many mix sessions I have lined up.

95% of my gear has been purchased used. This and my shinybox Si4 have been the first new things besides cable supplies and gaff tape for quite awhile. I'm stoked on both and planning on checking out the overstayer VCA compressor as well as shinybox ribbon mics in the near future.

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:28 pm

I have the overstayer stereo VCA. I pretty much love it on everything from vocals to snare, the shelving eq is really nice too as is the grab feature. The behavior knob allows you to change it's character drastically, although i'm not usually very heavy handed with compression.
Gotta get the FET soon.