Physical Copies, Yes or No? And if yes, what kind?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

JES
tinnitus

Post by JES » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:26 pm

Actually, this derailment is a whole lot of awesome. I have NO nostalgia for dat or adat, but I suspect they will find their way into some corner of hipsterdom. And hey, some great albums were made with a couple adats and a mackie.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:06 pm

My intro into recording on a more serious level was with Adats and a Mackie 32-8 board, at college at least. I was experimenting on my own with a Tascam 4 track cassette recorder. I remember "upgrading" to an ADAT and recording my band practice with it. It was the first thing I recorded with it. The ADAT ate the tape and stopped working. I took the tape out and threw it at the wall and it busted into a thousand pieces. That was my last experience with ADAT, and I'm never going back.

Actually now that I think of it that was the 2nd ADAT I bought. The first one was DOA. ugh....

Anyway, get a short run of CD's!

Rolsen
steve albini likes it

Post by Rolsen » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:40 am

My band is of the local, hometown venue playing type and we sold a little over 20 cds during our cd release party (now we struggle to sell a couple during subsequent shows!). I suspect that, without cds, we would have sold zero mp3's that night. The reason, I suspect, is that the moment someone is most likely to commit to buying your shit is when they've had a few drinks in them, have chatted with you and your music is still ringing in their ears. When they wake up on Sunday, they are hung over and don't give a shit about you anymore.

How do you sell a mp3 at a show, anyhow?

megajoe
gettin' sounds

Post by megajoe » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:32 pm

I bought an LX20 for $50 last year. $50 for 8-tracks of 20-bit A/D D/A and a recorder ain't too shabby. Beats trying to record a drum set with an mbox. I can see this making them very hip, until you can no longer find SVHS cassettes.