Why track vocals with compressor into a 24 bit system?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:06 am

oh yeah, this thread has caused me to question a lot of my assumptions and lead me to a higher state of self-awareness and whatnot. you're kinda like socrates, i guess.

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:21 am

thethingwiththestuff wrote:oh yeah, this thread has caused me to question a lot of my assumptions and lead me to a higher state of self-awareness and whatnot. you're kinda like socrates, i guess.
ha ha. nah, more like jed clampet (sp?).

i do believe in what i've said, but am not passionate about it. i started having fun there by the 3rd page just to see how strong people believe in what they are saying. i have never heard such strong convictions people have about using compression during the tracking stage. i think i was put off by the o.p.'s question to begin with, because i was surprised about how passionate people were about it. the only argument in my mind for compression on the way in, is for imparting a tone to the source without an extra conversion in the mix stage... so i thought i'd play the other side to challenge folks for why they just automatically go about doing something a certain way because that's how they've always done it. ME INCLUDED!

i have always found it to be strange that a tool used for cutting vinyl safely, would be later used in every aspect of making an album. but you know what, i use it all the time!!! ha ha!

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:41 am

Your misconception is that compressors or EQs are tools with very specific uses and anything outside of that constitutes misuse.

I think that your position of never using those tools during tracking is just as misguided as people who always use those tools during tracking.

To me, playing devil's advocate in this situation would be pointing out that you don't always NEED compression on the way in. Claiming that you NEVER NEED compression on the way in, or that it's a "bad idea" or "not necessary" isn't playing devil's advocate. It's just more misguided dogma.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:48 am

The idea of "extra conversions" being detrimental to the signal is laughable.

I'm not going to re-read the entire thread... but, I don't recall anyone being especially passionate about using compression on the way in.

Alright... even though nobody bit when you asked if anyone knew what compressors were developed for, you went ahead and answered anyway. Now we all know that you know the history of the device. Your Walter Sear Award is in the mail.

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:53 am

subatomic pieces wrote:Your misconception is that compressors or EQs are tools with very specific uses and anything outside of that constitutes misuse.

I think that your position of never using those tools during tracking is just as misguided as people who always use those tools during tracking.

To me, playing devil's advocate in this situation would be pointing out that you don't always NEED compression on the way in. Claiming that you NEVER NEED compression on the way in, or that it's a "bad idea" or "not necessary" isn't playing devil's advocate. It's just more misguided dogma.
whoa, dude. i was really just playin'. you are very passionate about what you believe and that's a good thing.

playing devils advocate is defined as:

"someone who takes a position he or she does not necessarily agree with for the sake of argument. This process can also be used to test the quality of the original argument and identify weaknesses in its structure."

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:57 am

subatomic pieces wrote:The idea of "extra conversions" being detrimental to the signal is laughable.

I'm not going to re-read the entire thread... but, I don't recall anyone being especially passionate about using compression on the way in.

Alright... even though nobody bit when you asked if anyone knew what compressors were developed for, you went ahead and answered anyway. Now we all know that you know the history of the device. Your Walter Sear Award is in the mail.
i never said it was "detrimental." i just said that perhaps some may want to avoid it.

you sir get the ethan "winer" award! ha ha. he did a great video about doing like 20 conversions with a substandard audio card and not hearing much of a difference. it's a great video you ought to check out some time to support your argument.

p.s. - check out the definition i posted above this one. this may help you out.

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:00 am

subatomic pieces wrote:The idea of "extra conversions" being detrimental to the signal is laughable.

you seem pretty passionate...

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:05 am

I am. I'm passionate about a lot of things. But, I'm not passionate about using compression on the way in.

You're just not doing a very good job of playing devil's advocate, apparently...

You still haven't given a single reasonable argument about why compressing on the way in is a "bad idea" or "not necessary"....

In fact, you haven't really said why you are against it, other than some obtuse notion that "it's wrong".

Why is it a bad idea to compress on the way in?

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:08 am

subatomic pieces wrote:I am. I'm passionate about a lot of things. But, I'm not passionate about using compression on the way in.

You're just not doing a very good job of playing devil's advocate, apparently...

You still haven't given a single reasonable argument about why compressing on the way in is a "bad idea" or "not necessary"....

In fact, you haven't really said why you are against it, other than some obtuse notion that "it's wrong".

Why is it a bad idea to compress on the way in?
you just said that you didn't read the whole thread. perhaps it would do you good to do so.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:19 am

casey campbell wrote:i never said it was "detrimental." i just said that perhaps some may want to avoid it.
Why? Why would some "want to avoid it"?
casey campbell wrote:you sir get the ethan "winer" award! ha ha. he did a great video about doing like 20 conversions with a substandard audio card and not hearing much of a difference. it's a great video you ought to check out some time to support your argument.
Obviously 20 conversions will result in some artifacts... but, i could loopback through my converters several times before anyone on this board would be able to hear a difference soloed. I could do it even more times before anyone here could hear a difference in the context of a mix.

Your signals aren't as precious as you want them to be.

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:20 am

subatomic pieces wrote:Your misconception is that compressors or EQs are tools with very specific uses and anything outside of that constitutes misuse.
i never said that...

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:21 am

casey campbell wrote:you just said that you didn't read the whole thread.
No. I didn't.

Perhaps we should add "reading" and "pissing matches" to the list of things you're not good at, along side "playing devil's advocate"?

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:21 am

subatomic pieces wrote:
casey campbell wrote:i never said it was "detrimental." i just said that perhaps some may want to avoid it.
because it makes them feel better about it. that's it.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:25 am

casey campbell wrote:
subatomic pieces wrote:
because it makes them feel better about it. that's it.
Oh... I see... you're taking the @?,*???&? approach to this discussion. Fine company you find yourself in....

I guess any possibility of you offering a real contribution to this discussion has flown out the window. Have a nice day!

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:25 am

subatomic pieces wrote:
casey campbell wrote:you just said that you didn't read the whole thread.
No. I didn't.

Perhaps we should add "reading" and "pissing matches" to the list of things you're not good at, along side "playing devil's advocate"?
you are taking this way too serious, and in that...have hijacked the thread.

i threw a rock in a pack of dogs and you yelped the loudest...and yet you say you aren't passionate about using compression when it's not necessary!

whatever dude.

you have once again proved my point. why are you getting so agitated? ask yourself that question...

i am now ignoring you and will no longer reply to this thread.

i suppose we can disagree about disagreeing. ha ha

p.s. - i added a point of view. you've added angst. good luck with that.