Why track vocals with compressor into a 24 bit system?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:54 am

Nick Franklin wrote:
casey campbell wrote:compress during tracking
compress during mixing on individual tracks
compress/limit the submixes
compress the final mix, which then goes to the mastering engineer...
compress/limit during mastering
compress at the radio station

oh man....
Yes, because tasteful and gentle leveling at each stage avoids your overly dynamic mix being crushed by the mastering engineer or the radio limiter.

If you haven't compressed your vocal on the way in you have to compress it a little harder in the mix. If you don't compress it in the mix you need to compress the whole mix a little harder. If you haven't compressed that the mastering engineer will have to slam it a bit more than usual to get the vocal to sit in the mix. If you convince the mastering engineer not to do it... well the limiter at the radio station will destroy it.

By the way, I presume we're all talking about making pop music here? Where even mixes dubbed as 'dynamic' have far less dynamic range than many other styles of music.

For me, the other reason to compress a vocal (or anything for that matter) on the way in is the same reason I apply EQ on the way in. It's because any decisions regarding tonality you can make early on, will make later decisions easier and ultimately better. If you've tracked your vocals completely clean, no comp, no EQ, even if you got the great singer and the great mic position, you wont know how to make other things sound to fit around the vocal until you get to the mix and start sorting it out, by which stage it is probably too late to fix it.
1. why would you go to a mastering engineer that would "crush" your mix anyway? if you are using a mastering engineer where you can hear artifacts after you are done, then he's not doing his job!
2. why do you have to compress it harder in the mix if not so in the tracking stage? i never had to do this... i do compress in the mix stage, but i never found that i had to do so harder just because i didn't on the way in. this is ludicrous. why not just automate?
3. no, im not talking about making pop music.
4. why in the h-e-double hockey sticks would you eq something on the way in? why not just use a different mic, or better yet...change the mic position?
5. you don't start making things fit after you've tracked it all! you should be thinking about that before you even start tracking...and choose your mics, instruments, amps, etc wisely as you are tracking.

it's called production...

i don't eq or compress on the way in, and i've never had to make things "fit" together in a radical way during mixing, because i tracked it right to begin with. knowing what way my bright elements, my darker elements, the star of the show, etc etc etc. i never found compression or eq to help in this regard. i also never said that i couldn't use a compressor effectively either...im just saying that it's not necessary on the way in.

so you tell me that you are compressing a vocal during tracking and mixing? this is so foreign to me i guess. why is this necessary?

if you can hear compression, then you are doing it wrong (unless you are going for that effect on purpose). what does a compressor emulate? what is it's function? are you just putting it on an instrument just because it's there? is it making it any better?

the other day, i had a session drummer in. he was tracking some drums for a project. we did some listening...and i said, "hey, on your fills...can you hit those toms a little harder, and perhaps on the verse back off on the snare." he goes in there and nails it.

i didn't have to compress anything on the way in. and you know what? now i have really clean/pristine drum tracks from the get go.

i guess im an alien... ha ha

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:56 am

there are 4 pages of people's reasons why they like a little GR at tracking.

i'm not going to explain each of the steps you listed above, but i will say that every single recorded song i've ever listened to has gone through them, and i either enjoyed it or i didn't.

to sum up my point: one can compress at any point in the process that they like, and it has nothing to do with the wordlength or noise floor of the medium.

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:58 am

subatomic pieces wrote:His post also ignores any justification for the blanket statements that: compressing on the way in is "a bad idea", and that it's "not necessary". Those are both pretty bold statements with no reasons given.

If "everybody overuses compression" is your justification for not using compression, that's called "throwing the baby out with the bathwater". And, it's just as misguided as overusing compression.

It's a tool, people.
ok, i just gave my reasons.... i didn't say that i don't use compression. i just said that i don't use it during the tracking stage.

you guys must record some real screamers... ha ha

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:07 am

dude, are you just being willfully obtuse now? a compressor emulates your ear membrane tightening at high SPLs. it's function is to round the peaks off of recorded signals to help sources sit easily alongside other sounds and increase intelligibility, and good ones can command thousands of dollars because they do make things sound better.

i certainly am not arguing that compression takes the place of good, consistent playing! no one is.

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:09 am

casey campbell wrote:especially since alot of folks on here agree that recording at lower levels in the digital realm turns out better sounding mixes....
You know, you don't HAVE to engage the make-up gain on a comp.
Prog out with your cog out.

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:22 am

thethingwiththestuff wrote:dude, are you just being willfully obtuse now? a compressor emulates your ear membrane tightening at high SPLs. it's function is to round the peaks off of recorded signals to help sources sit easily alongside other sounds and increase intelligibility, and good ones can command thousands of dollars because they do make things sound better.

i certainly am not arguing that compression takes the place of good, consistent playing! no one is.
nah, not willfully being "obtuse." i was making the point that just because compression is available, doesn't mean you have to use it on every track during every stage of making a record.

how about a compressor emulating a finger on a fader? works for me.... :idea:

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:29 am

werd clock wrote:
casey campbell wrote:especially since alot of folks on here agree that recording at lower levels in the digital realm turns out better sounding mixes....
You know, you don't HAVE to engage the make-up gain on a comp.
yes, this is true...but oh boy it is so fun for getting everything sounding as BIG as possible!!!!! (that's a joke by the way)

"oh man, that 1176 makes that triangle sound soooo phat and warm!" ha ha ha

my point about tracking at lower levels in the digital domain: you are not going to go into clipping when tracking at lower levels in the digital domain, so why is it necessary?

oh, and here's a new concept...dynamically speaking: how about a musician who can play consistently?

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:35 am

oh, and here's a little homework...

can someone please research why a compressor/limiter was invented to begin with?

ha ha ha ha ha

:lol:
:shock:

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:39 am

Man... Your dogma and arrogance is tiresome. That it seems to be grounded in misconceptions makes it even more annoying. Enjoy your pristine, precious signals. Be sure to put on the liner notes how purist you are.

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:40 am

thethingwiththestuff wrote:...and good ones can command thousands of dollars because they do make things sound better.
no they don't. they make things sound different.

they cost thousands of dollars because of the following:

development
parts (although, this is usually the cheapest part)
labor
licenses
marketing
the name
hype

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:41 am

ok.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:42 am

hahaha! The two posts you made in the time it took me to post that, were some of your most arrogant and insulting. Congrats! You're an audio purist.

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:43 am

subatomic pieces wrote:Man... Your dogma and arrogance is tiresome. That it seems to be grounded in misconceptions makes it even more annoying. Enjoy your pristine, precious signals. Be sure to put on the liner notes how purist you are.
ha ha. no, im just playing "devil's advocate." if you knew me personally, you'd understand what i was about and what im doing...

btw, what parts are misconceptions?

p.s. - im not a purist.... (hint hint)

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:50 am

you know, you dont HAVE to engage in demonic advocacy.

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:53 am

thethingwiththestuff wrote:you know, you dont HAVE to engage in demonic advocacy.
ha ha...you are very correct! but it can be fun at times, and also make one think about why we are so passionate about being locked into one way of doing things in recording because it's the "right" way.