Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Longest session you've ever done?

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:37 pm

Rakoro wrote:
noeqplease wrote:
kingtoad wrote:So, I sit here at 7:30 am local time having just finished a 19 1/2 hour session (the last of 10 days and we had to finish the album), a personal record. What's the longest continuous session you've ever been involved in? I thought this could throw up some interesting stories.
Lightweight.

Once I had to finish mixing a Christmas record before Thanksgiving day, 2004.

Tuesday went into studio at 11am, left Thursday 6 am to "nap" before going to family dinner...

That would be 43 hours straight. This beat my previous record in Mexico City of 39 hours straight doing TV and radio commercials... for the 1998 World Cup.

"Looney Tunes" anyone?
Jeez, I know you must have had to stop a more than a few times to give your ears a rest, but did you nap at all?

This is one of the reasons I have stopped drinking caffeine, so that when a scenario like this appears, it will be that much more potent and useful.
No napping. 1 hour radio or TV overdub and mix sessions, and they booked 46 of them in one run. I did get 43 of them, but not the last 3, the owner took pity on me.

Now, I swear I will not do any more TV or radio spots, jingles, or the like. I think I did enough during that one year at that studio. Pianica, Mexico City,1997.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

stereopathetic_banjo
steve albini likes it

Re: 16hrs is mine

Post by stereopathetic_banjo » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:37 pm

JulioI1985 wrote:I had a 16hr tracking day with Sissy Mena. I love shoegaze music so I really didn't care that day. It was during initial tracking for their first EP "Young Girl". We had tons of beer & time.
http://sissymena.com

Anything above 16hrs, you can't even function right. The yawning becomes overwhelming.

-JulioI1985-
Weird. I recorded the very, very first Sissy Mena stuff in my kitchen/living room on a 001 years ago. Say hello to Tyler for me!

blackdiscoball
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by blackdiscoball » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:11 am

While I've never pulled any recording studio work days that long I can see how it would happen. I regularly work 10 hours straight and have bands tell me "do you need a bathroom break or something? you havent left the control room all day" then I realize I haven't and try to get some fresh air. I try to discourage bands from super long sessions because I find they burn out long before I do.
myspace.com/blackdiscoballstudio/