Cool "Mojo" Tracking Session Film....

Post by tonewoods » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:00 am

Hi all...

Check this out...

Not a set of cans to be seen..... :hearts:

dgrieser
steve albini likes it

Post by dgrieser » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:06 am

What a room. I imagine all those guitars were humming along at the ends of the tunes.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:34 am

Ver' cool, thanx!
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Electro-Voice 664
re-cappin' neve

Post by Electro-Voice 664 » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:40 am

yes, cool stuff. Thanks
"Play ethnicky jazz to parade your snazz. On your five grand stereo."

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:44 pm

Looks like they did the vocalist behind plexi-glass thing for a little separation. I wonder what that dynamic looking mic he's singin into is. Definitely makes me want to listen to the record, maybe make a few myself. Always a great part of watching a cool music doc.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Cool "Mojo" Tracking Session Film....

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:37 pm

tonewoods wrote:Hi all...

Check this out...

Not a set of cans to be seen..... :hearts:
Boy that takes me back a while.

I did a very similar set up, but in a "real studio" with Yes, back in 2000... and I would just sit and record the rehearsals until there was a "good bit" and then paste that together with another "good bit until a song emerged, then we'd all go and re-record the whole song as one performance, after the arrangement was done.

Sometimes I'd only have the bass player use cans, plus the vocalist, for reverb / effects.

I just downloaded their new album, which came with the concert tix I bought for my family. October 1st we'll be seeing them live, and we all can't WAIT!!!

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:51 pm

Nice. Really damn nice.

jmiller
steve albini likes it

Post by jmiller » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:13 pm

losthighway wrote:I wonder what that dynamic looking mic he's singin into is.
Looked to me like one of those Neumann KMS-105s (which is a condenser mic btw). I've worked with them a couple times- they're not as vibey as a 47 or c12 obviously, but they sound pretty good and most notably seem to be really good at off-axis rejection/leakage control. They get used in a lot of high end on-stage productions and remote stuff, usually.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:26 pm

jmiller wrote:
Looked to me like one of those Neumann KMS-105s (which is a condenser mic btw). I've worked with them a couple times- they're not as vibey as a 47 or c12 obviously, but they sound pretty good and most notably seem to be really good at off-axis rejection/leakage control. They get used in a lot of high end on-stage productions and remote stuff, usually.
I'm pretty sure you're right, I saw a Neumann logo towards the end I believe. That other mic that was suspended above it may have been a c12, but I'm not sure on that either.

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:34 am

Pretty low tech control room considering what they can afford, although they probably mix somewhere else right? What a fun look inside. What a great songwriter he is. I love the bit about how he wants to write something he won't be embarrassed to sing 10 years from now. I wish they would have shown the preamp rack.
"Analog smells like thrift stores. Digital smells like tiny hands from far away." - O-it-hz

musicians are fuckers, but even worse are people who like musicians, they're total fuckers.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:55 am

jmiller wrote:
Correct.

It's a Neumann KMS 105, and it is not a true dynamic, in that it does use phantom power. Like the Shure Beta series, against which it "competes", nay "blows away"...

The LDC tube is probably Tom's customized AKG C12VR. It also makes an appearance in the documentary film by Bogdanovich, whenever Tom gets interviewed in his "studio".

I really loved to see this, and I hope other bands start doing this "own rehearsal / recording studio" type of thing.

I know of several other bands which are doing this, and it really is starting to show in their creativity.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

roscoenyc
carpal tunnel

Post by roscoenyc » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:22 am

Cool vid.

Tom has one in ear in in a few of the shots.
Comfort counts.

Cool record.

iC
pushin' record

Post by iC » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:37 am

Neuman KMS150
condensor
predecessor stage mic to the KMS 105
http://www.neumann.com/?lang=en&id=hist ... blications
noeqplease wrote:
jmiller wrote:
Correct.

It's a Neumann KMS 105, and it is not a true dynamic, in that it does use phantom power. Like the Shure Beta series, against which it "competes", nay "blows away"...

The LDC tube is probably Tom's customized AKG C12VR. It also makes an appearance in the documentary film by Bogdanovich, whenever Tom gets interviewed in his "studio".

I really loved to see this, and I hope other bands start doing this "own rehearsal / recording studio" type of thing.

I know of several other bands which are doing this, and it really is starting to show in their creativity.

Cheers
"There is nothing in a caterpillar that tells you it's going to be a butterfly."
R. Buckminster Fuller

Jon Nolan
tinnitus

Post by Jon Nolan » Wed Jun 16, 2010 1:18 pm

roscoenyc wrote:in ear in in
just looked funny. as you were. im over caffeinated.

tonewoods
buyin' a studio

Post by tonewoods » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:03 pm

iC wrote:Neuman KMS150...
Probably using that for the studio PA feed, and the AKG C12VR for recording???

Just a guess....

That video is so-ooo inspiring, as it's exactly the way I like to work...

Sans cans, small amps, everyone playing as a band in the same space, isolate the singer a bit, etc. etc...

Ya know, I just listened to Mojo for the first time just now, and the music is OK...
Nothing mind-blowing song-wise to these ears....

But the production and the way those guys go about doing things makes "Mojo" one of the most inspiring recordings I've heard in a long long time...

Very TapeOppy... :wink: