Adventures in LOUD amp recording

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

suppositron
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by suppositron » Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:19 am

kslight wrote:Curiously though, a doubling in power (watts) only equals approximately 3db increase in volume....so it really shouldn't be much louder than a 100 watt at all..at full power. Attenuated he's not even using a lot of that power... So while it's undoubtedly a loud amp, cranked it wouldn't be substantially louder than a cranked 50 or 100 watt...
Another thing you have to think about is "How much power is put out at three and how much more if you really crank it up?" That can vary from amp to amp. Then as mentioned above speaker sensitivity and cab design plays a huge roll.

gtr_joe
studio intern

Post by gtr_joe » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:03 pm

Loud amps also create sympathetic frequencies that feedback (think Hendrix). I've got an early 60's univox with a 12" Jensen. Probably about a 10 watter. But I dime it then play a cranked early 70's SG so the humbuckers are right in front of the speaker, just behind the mike. (I raise the cabinet.) The guitar litterally comes alive with sustain and harmonic overtones, verge of meltdown. I monitor through isolation headphones.

Try it!
gtr_joe

permanent hearing damage
re-cappin' neve

Post by permanent hearing damage » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:26 pm

this sounds completely strange to me - with the distortion from multiple mics on the amp even a few feet away. i've recorded more than my share of loud guitar bands and never had problems like that except for one time when i foolishly placed a ribbon right on the grill of a 4x12 fed by a sunn concert lead with everything on 10 and a distortion pedal and a guitar with active pickups in front of it to boot.

seriously, a d112, re20, etc and many large diaphragm moving coil mics can handle being immediately in front of a beater inside a bass drum or in front of an 8x10 being pushed by a tube svt, could the math be there to get you more dB SPL in front of a guitar amp than either of those things?

that said, is it possible the distortion could be elsewhere in your signal chain? i feel like if all those mics are breaking up like that, it might be elsewhere.

if it really is causing the mics to break up like this, maybe he should invest in a hot plate?

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Jul 17, 2010 8:41 am

permanent hearing damage wrote: ... except for one time when i foolishly placed a ribbon right on the grill of a 4x12 fed by a sunn concert lead with everything on 10 and a distortion pedal and a guitar with active pickups in front of it to boot.
I would like to hear this.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

gustavobill
audio school graduate

Post by gustavobill » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:11 pm

Dude, is your ribbon ok?

300W valve amp... Why jesus, why?
I wanna see you try that with a $25 preamp

your forth album must be DOUBLE LIVE (via the Foghat Rule)

permanent hearing damage
re-cappin' neve

Post by permanent hearing damage » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:10 pm

now that (many years later) i've had it reribboned, i think it was a bit messed up to begin with. but after that day, it never was quite the same. very low end stuff definitely broke up a bit.

i didn't leave it there for very long. maybe 10 seconds of playing made me realize it was a bad move.

also, not that it matters all that much but concert leads are only 100 watts. granted, they can be stupidly loud.

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:37 am

permanent hearing damage wrote:this sounds completely strange to me - with the distortion from multiple mics on the amp even a few feet away. i've recorded more than my share of loud guitar bands and never had problems like that except for one time when i foolishly placed a ribbon right on the grill of a 4x12 fed by a sunn concert lead with everything on 10 and a distortion pedal and a guitar with active pickups in front of it to boot.

seriously, a d112, re20, etc and many large diaphragm moving coil mics can handle being immediately in front of a beater inside a bass drum or in front of an 8x10 being pushed by a tube svt, could the math be there to get you more dB SPL in front of a guitar amp than either of those things?

that said, is it possible the distortion could be elsewhere in your signal chain? i feel like if all those mics are breaking up like that, it might be elsewhere.

if it really is causing the mics to break up like this, maybe he should invest in a hot plate?
Yeah, we're not talking fragile ribbon here, I heard an SM7 choking on the SPL. This damn amp was so loud that you couldn't even hear a kick drum while it was playing. I've recorded Ampeg SVT's cranked pretty high, louder Orange heads through 4x12's nothing sounded like this damn amp. It was trying to destroy our world and leave a black hole. Ended up sounding kinda cool though even with the mics five feet away.

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:02 am

vvv wrote:
permanent hearing damage wrote: ... except for one time when i foolishly placed a ribbon right on the grill of a 4x12 fed by a sunn concert lead with everything on 10 and a distortion pedal and a guitar with active pickups in front of it to boot.
I would like to hear this.
...and thus, his username was born

Bryan
Shoeshine Recording Studio
"Pop music is sterile, country music is sterile. That's one of the reasons I keep going back to baseball" - Doug Sahm

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:39 am

:lol:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

juliakmartine
audio school

Post by juliakmartine » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:43 pm

It's very nice information provide by you but i have one doubt as per my view I can get the more sound from the guitar
Last edited by juliakmartine on Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:51 am

losthighway wrote:Yeah, we're not talking fragile ribbon here, I heard an SM7 choking on the SPL. This damn amp was so loud that you couldn't even hear a kick drum while it was playing. I've recorded Ampeg SVT's cranked pretty high, louder Orange heads through 4x12's nothing sounded like this damn amp. It was trying to destroy our world and leave a black hole. Ended up sounding kinda cool though even with the mics five feet away.
"It was trying to destroy our world and leave a black hole."

new sig. thanks
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

centurymantra
buyin' a studio

Post by centurymantra » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:43 am

noeqplease wrote:
losthighway wrote:Yeah, we're not talking fragile ribbon here, I heard an SM7 choking on the SPL. This damn amp was so loud that you couldn't even hear a kick drum while it was playing. I've recorded Ampeg SVT's cranked pretty high, louder Orange heads through 4x12's nothing sounded like this damn amp. It was trying to destroy our world and leave a black hole. Ended up sounding kinda cool though even with the mics five feet away.

new sig. thanks
Agreed...that is an awesome quote. Makes me think about a friend of mine who was telling me about a former band member turning to their guitarist at one session and asking them "to turn the war down".

Bryan
Shoeshine Recording Studio
"Pop music is sterile, country music is sterile. That's one of the reasons I keep going back to baseball" - Doug Sahm

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:36 am

centurymantra wrote:
noeqplease wrote:

new sig. thanks
Agreed...that is an awesome quote. Makes me think about a friend of mine who was telling me about a former band member turning to their guitarist at one session and asking them "to turn the war down".
Love it.
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

nzkobc
audio school graduate

Post by nzkobc » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:53 pm

kslight wrote:No doubt...in my personal experience I get better sounding heavy guitar results out of stuff like a Peavey Classic 30 and Fender Tweed Bassman than I get out of a Triple Recto or whatever... But whatever works for them I guess..
Yeah, Some of my biggest guitar tones recorded have come from a blues jr, and a single SDC an inch away. How you handle stereo space is way more important, I always fake it. :)

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:49 am

centurymantra wrote:
Oh man, that's the best laugh I've gotten around here in a while. Someone needs to tell half the rock bands in my town to turn the war down. Sometimes I wonder if passive pickups and a small clean combo amp would stimulate some crazy creativity in some of these guys that they've never accessed before. "Oh wow, you can play a lot of different chords on a guitar! Cool!"