Calling all metal guitar players - pickup ???

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

tdbajus
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by tdbajus » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:29 pm

Not that I'm going for the same sound, exactly, but both my 18watt Marshall and my homebrew tweed deluxe go freaking bonkers on my drop-d guitars, which use Ernie Ball 11-54? 56?

I have been using D'Addario 11-52(54?) which are slightly smaller, and the dif between the two gauges really surprised the hell out of me.

Recycled_Brains wrote:
I really couldn't be happier with my amp. Not looking to sound just like Sabbath, I was just referencing some tones that I dig that people would be familiar with.

I'm about 90% happy with my rig. I just want to check out some "heavier" sounding PUs so that I don't have to rely on extra OD boosts as much on stage.

I'm sort of in the same camp as Curtis Novak though- super-high-output PUs can sound kind of muddy- if you are looking for a little bit more gain, but otherwise love your sound, maybe a nice EQ pedal is what you really need? I haven't used it, but empress makes a well regarded parametric EQ pedal, which might be able to let you give it that little push over the edge it seems you want.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:03 pm

Jesus, this thread is old now. This whole thing got put on the back burner, in lieu of amp repairs, pedal buying binges and various other potentially less productive monetary indescretions....

anyways....

I've been looking into the Duncan JB much more intensely lately.... I feel like I can trust Trodden's judgement, as I imagine we share similar tastes. The Bareknuckles seem great, and I contacted them recently regarding the Warpig vs. Nailbomb... they recommend the Nailbomb, given the description I gave them. BUT, the JB is more appealing as it (A) is about half the cost, (B) seems like it would be a less drastic tonal change, overall, and (C) the guitar shop I go to carries them, and will let me return it, if I don't like it.

At any rate, I'm going to try one out, and see how it goes. I'll report back soon.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:26 pm

And my pickup buying has been put on hold as well since joining a band as a synth/keys/sample player....

Someday... My 335 will get the attention that it deserves,...

Neal
gettin' sounds

Post by Neal » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:35 am

+1 for the Duncan JB. Got one in my Ibanez and my friend has one in his Explorer. Lots of mids and punchy lows.

I also have a Duncan '59 in the bridge position of my '86 Les Paul and that guitar sounds fucking perfect to me. It's kinda retarded that I don't use that guitar more, but I'm not a big fan of tuning it down to B, hence the use of a Ibanez 7 string.

Anyhow.... most people use the '59 at the neck, but it totally kills in the bridge position too. I'd say it's a little warmer than the JB, but not muddy at all and pushes the amp really hard. Combining it with the stock neck pickup gets some even thicker sounds and backing off the tone knob a bit by itself will get that Sabbath "honk" you mention.

As for some of the other recommendations, the L500XL is a good pickup with really high output, but probably brighter than what you seem to be after. Backing off the tone knob on a really bright pickup can yield some good results though.

I still haven't heard a Dimarzio humbucker that I like. They all seem to have this weird scooped sound and twanginess to them.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:11 am

Just dropped her off last night.

Should be a couple weeks before I get to try it out, since it's also getting refretted.

Trying out a JB in the bridge, 59 in the neck. My neck PU, I believe, is microphonic, and a close friend whos tone I LOVE has 59s in his SG, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

Will report back soon....
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Mon May 16, 2011 6:55 am

Just spent a weekend doing drum tracking with my band.... had the SG, with it's new JB hooked up to my JMP 50w, and a nice sounding Orange cab....

Not the best evaluation, as I was just doing scratch tracks, but so far, I'm liking what I'm hearing. Just seems to growl a bit harder, and sounds more pissed off.

Looking forward to a more thorough evaluation in the coming weeks through my own cabs, but so far, so good.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

suppositron
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by suppositron » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:52 am

Still pretty happy with the JB then? I'm thinking of replacing my bridge PU on my SG standard and putting a coil tap on it.

I was checking out the DiMarzio Super Distortion, but I have a JB (I believe) in my LP and love the way that sounds. I just wasn't sure if it would fit the SG too.
MoreSpaceEcho wrote:c'mon. everyone knows that roland really starts to sing when you push the master up.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:12 am

suppositron wrote:Still pretty happy with the JB then? I'm thinking of replacing my bridge PU on my SG standard and putting a coil tap on it.

I was checking out the DiMarzio Super Distortion, but I have a JB (I believe) in my LP and love the way that sounds. I just wasn't sure if it would fit the SG too.
Yes! Very happy with the JB. I think you'd find it a good match for the SG. It is for mine. I'm not good at describing sound. I liked my old pickup, but I def. think the JB suits what I'm playing more. The added output (not terribly dramatic) seems to enhance the harmonics and growl of the guitar. The lowend is more focused than the old one. A bit more bite on the top end too. Sounds more clear.

I think it's a great pickup. Duncan has a thing where, if you don't dig it after a certain amount of time, they'll swap it out for something else until you find one you like.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

suppositron
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by suppositron » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:12 am

Thanks, man. I actually already ordered the super distortion. I couldn't wait.

I do play metal too but I tend to lead more towards a classic rock sound and read that the DiMarzio was better at that. If it ends up not suiting me I'll probably swap it with the JB in my LP as that's just a backup guitar now anyway.
MoreSpaceEcho wrote:c'mon. everyone knows that roland really starts to sing when you push the master up.

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:19 am

suppositron wrote:Thanks, man. I actually already ordered the super distortion. I couldn't wait.

I do play metal too but I tend to lead more towards a classic rock sound and read that the DiMarzio was better at that. If it ends up not suiting me I'll probably swap it with the JB in my LP as that's just a backup guitar now anyway.
JB gives me that in spades. Very versitile.

Hope the SD is cool! I've heard good things from players I know.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

unchartedthickets
ass engineer

Post by unchartedthickets » Thu Sep 29, 2011 7:00 pm

thanks for posting yur facebook shiznit. i dig the sounds...just what i wanted to hear after someone turned me onto the new Mastadon today. love the bluezy solo then back into the sludge. got anything recorded with the new setup?

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Post by Recycled_Brains » Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:14 pm

unchartedthickets wrote:thanks for posting yur facebook shiznit. i dig the sounds...just what i wanted to hear after someone turned me onto the new Mastadon today. love the bluezy solo then back into the sludge. got anything recorded with the new setup?
Thanks!

Yeah, we're working on our 1st album right now. I tracked all the guitars after I got hte JB in there, so it's on everything. Just waiting on the vocals at the moment. Should be ready soon enough.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

TV Lenny
buyin' gear

Post by TV Lenny » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:30 am

FWIW, I make White Oak Pickups. Hand wound custom pickups for guitar and bass.

Tom
White Oak Guitars - Fine boutique handmade guitar & bass pickups

soundmasterg
alignin' 24-trk

Post by soundmasterg » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:29 am

I like the Duncan Full Shreds myself.....

Greg