Just bought an 8 track, do I NEED a mixer?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

cozy
gettin' sounds

Just bought an 8 track, do I NEED a mixer?

Post by cozy » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:38 am

Hey guys.

OK, I just bought a Teac Tascam 80-8. The original plan was to track out to DAW, mix through various outboard gear, bounce to 4 stereo or 8 mono tracks, whatever the song calls for and then bounce to tape.

I was doing some reading about recording to tape vs recording to DAW, and it seems that recording to DAW first will have ill effects on the recording going to tape. So I was thinking about buying a mixer (Allen & Heath 14:4:2 to be exact) and mixing directly to tape and then bouncing to DAW.

My question is will my sound be significantly worse if I record to DAW and then to tape, rather than straight to tape? I was about 2 seconds from pulling the trigger on the mixer, but thought I should ask the experts their opinions.

I couldn't find anything with the search, but if this has been asked 100 times, please point me in the right direction.

Thanks all!!

Chris

donny
takin' a dinner break

Post by donny » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:01 pm

well i am not an expert and have very little experiencing recording digitally (my setup is all analog), but ...

i believe recording to tape first captures an essential essence. it is more of a vibe/spiritual thing for me, but there are many people who have hybrid setups who say that its better to track it to tape and then bounce to digital. there are countless arguments for and against (search the internet etc) and no general consensus has been reached.

it may have to do with capturing all of the nuances/energy in analog at the source, then fussing with it in the computer. the other way around, you are using the tape primarily as an "effect" and degrading your digital signal.
http://www.trounrecords.com

your life is beautiful / a seed becomes a tree / a mountain into a sky / this life is meant to be

Waltz Mastering
steve albini likes it

Re: Just bought an 8 track, do I NEED a mixer?

Post by Waltz Mastering » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:59 pm

cozy wrote: OK, I just bought a Teac Tascam 80-8. The original plan was to track out to DAW, mix through various outboard gear, bounce to 4 stereo or 8 mono tracks, whatever the song calls for and then bounce to tape.

I was doing some reading about recording to tape vs recording to DAW, and it seems that recording to DAW first will have ill effects on the recording going to tape. So I was thinking about buying a mixer (Allen & Heath 14:4:2 to be exact) and mixing directly to tape and then bouncing to DAW.

My question is will my sound be significantly worse if I record to DAW and then to tape, rather than straight to tape? I was about 2 seconds from pulling the trigger on the mixer, but thought I should ask the experts their opinions.

I couldn't find anything with the search, but if this has been asked 100 times, please point me in the right direction.
I think if your quest is the "tape sound", you would benefit more by going to tape first and then transfer to daw for editing & mixing.

You can go mic pre/comp out direct to tape and monitor the output of tape through the daw although I'm not sure how latency would come into play when doing over dubs to tape.

You could always grab a line mixer to go between the tape outs to your daw ins, so
you don't necessarily need a full blown mixer.

I think the 80-8 operates at -10 dB.

What kind of pre's and converters are you using?

cozy
gettin' sounds

Post by cozy » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:53 pm

Pre's are ok, Great River MP-2NV and a pair of Shure M67's. Vocals are recorded with a Shure sm7b.

Converters are stock Digi 002 converters. I mostly record and mix sample[vinyl] based hip hop, everything comes from either an MPC or outboard synths.

Thanks for responding guys.

Chris

ofajen
pushin' record

Post by ofajen » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:32 am

Just IMO, if you're going to bother with tape, it's better to track directly to tape. It tends to force you to work on playing well and recording more simply and directly. Luckily, it also tends to produce a recording where things sound good together, even when working that way. At that point, you might as well skip the DAW and mix to tape! :D

Just my two cents.

Cheers,

Otto
Daddy-O Daddy-O Baby

Michael_Joly
pushin' record

Post by Michael_Joly » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:38 pm

Anyone with an eight track should study Emitt Rhodes work. Dig deep - he was doing better work in his parents Southern California tool shed than McCartney was on his sheep farm and at Abbey Road back '69.