Martin DCX1E

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

Martin DCX1E

Post by vvv » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:37 pm

Anybody play this type of Martin, laminate sides and neck, with a Fishman?

I need a decent but cheap acoustic - I can get this used at US$450 - should I?

Use would be living room jams at home, mebbe a little mic'd recording ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Jul 03, 2010 12:37 pm

No one, eh?

I were gonna, but now I'm reconsidering ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:15 pm

I have a similar Martin, an older model but the same idea-spruce top and laminate sides. Different fretboard. One of my students just bought a newer example, again not the exact same as what you're looking at but it does have the ebony fretboard. Both play just fine, and sound nice enough for a $450 guitar. I bought mine so I'd have an acoustic that sounded pretty good and played easily, that I could take into smoky bars instead of some of my nicer instruments. For that, it works great. I've also recorded with it a bunch. For the price and for what you're looking for, I'd say yeah.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:56 pm

Thanx!
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Producer/Engineer
takin' a dinner break

Post by Producer/Engineer » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:18 am

Went over to visit a "friend of a friends" one time and played that model for a while. Even though I have 8 acoustics that are all solid including a vintage D-35, I found the DCX1E to be a real delight to play and liked the sound very much.
I think the price is good at $450. and having the Fishman pick up in it is great. Street price is $700. new.
Check the body, especially the flatness of the bridge, and the neck. Don't forget to plug it in and check all controls.
You have to remember if you are plugged in, when you take a break for a while, (or you are finished for the day) UN-PLUG the guitar to save battery power!!
If you pull the trigger, let us know how you like it!
:wink:
Last edited by Producer/Engineer on Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:12 pm

Hmmm, ....
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Rolsen
steve albini likes it

Post by Rolsen » Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:54 am

I've been poking around the acoustic guitar rooms at the local shops for a couple years now, making sure that, when I actually win the lottery, I'll know just what acoustic I want! While doing so, I've become convinced that those lower priced Martins aren't that much better than a decent Yamaha or Epiphone 'Masterworks' that are a couple hundred less. I do like the higher end Martins, I just wouldn't want to pay for the Martin name on a laminate guitar.

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:03 pm

I was in a similar place a couple of years ago, and played one of those Martins. I could have picked up a less-than-great one, and I only played one, but that one was sort of lifeless to me. I ended up finding a used Guild D4 that I really love, for about the same $ that a used low-end Martin fetches. FWIW.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Jul 05, 2010 12:07 pm

Besides the "Martin" bragging rights, this one really does sound good, has "it".

I find, more so than with electrics, that acoustics gotta have that "it"; this one does.

Butt no more so than the US$200 used Seagull.

That guitar sounds even better, butt I'm concerned about the XII fret hump eventually affecting the high strings (it doesn't, yet).

On the other hand, it would make a great rhythm guitar, at 250 bones less ...

Mebbe I'll jes' keep shopping, but I have the money now. :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.