Four Re-Amp devices in a single rackmount? Does it exist?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Four Re-Amp devices in a single rackmount? Does it exist?

Post by Ryan Silva » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:57 am

I?m looking for a multi re-amp device in a rack mount format; maybe 4 in a single space? I have seen the Radial units and they are not what I?m looking for.

I have a single 'ReAmp' box, but it's always in the way, I can?t imagine it if I had 4 or 5.

I need this mostly during mixing; using Reverb Tank, EH D. Memory Man, LoFi Amp speaker in closet... you get the picture.

Thanks guys.
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Re: Four Re-Amp devices in a single rackmount? Does it exist

Post by Recycled_Brains » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:19 pm

Ryan Silva wrote:I?m looking for a multi re-amp device in a rack mount format; maybe 4 in a single space? I have seen the Radial units and they are not what I?m looking for.

I have a single 'ReAmp' box, but it's always in the way, I can?t imagine it if I had 4 or 5.

I need this mostly during mixing; using Reverb Tank, EH D. Memory Man, LoFi Amp speaker in closet... you get the picture.

Thanks guys.
Only thing that comes to mind right now. It's only 1 in tho.

Wonder how easy it would be to build such a thing. I'd buy a single rack-space 4-channel reamp.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

llmonty
re-cappin' neve

Post by llmonty » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:35 pm

not single rack mount, but rackmountable. i have it and love it. wish i had 2. 1 for tracking out in the live room for amp switching/combining and one for mixdown (or use both). 3 line inputs and 3 amps can be used.
http://www.littlelabs.com/pcp.html

the PCP seems better for mixdown, with more inputs, the radial for tracking with more amps that can be switched in/out...
richmond is a really cool town - supafuzz

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:53 pm

Ryan, are the Radials just too expensive or something? They sure are built well and sound amazing. They are coming out with 500 series re-amp devices too if you have a lunchbox. That would save some money maybe...
"Analog smells like thrift stores. Digital smells like tiny hands from far away." - O-it-hz

musicians are fuckers, but even worse are people who like musicians, they're total fuckers.

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:02 pm

Money is not an issue, but the single input of the Radial Unit (Radial JD?7 Injector) will not work for multiple aux sends, returning to multiple DI's.

The Little Labs PCP is very close to what I want in function, but even with a rack mount adapter, what does it take up 2-3 spaces vertically?

I'm really surprised that "REAMP" never made a unit like this.

The Lunchbox option sounds pretty good, I?ll have to keep an eye out for those. Bummer, I wish I had an half empty 500 rack right now.

MoreSpaceEcho

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Tue Jul 06, 2010 8:42 pm

I'm building one right now based on the JLM audio Dingo Jr kit. 6 channels i/o. Gonna use it for 4 tape echos and 2 guitar pedal stations in my rack.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Fletcher
steve albini likes it

Post by Fletcher » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:40 am

You can do 4x Littlelabs "Red Eye" [or "Multi-z"... or in my case "IBP", which is THE most interesting "re-amp" kind of box on the planet] in 1 RU.

With the IBP I do things like take a DI bass track, run it into an amp through the IBP, then mic the amp and "tweeze" the phase of the signal running into the mic'ed amp until I get the "vowel" of the bass to sit perfectly in the mix in context with the song.

They work amazingly well for doing guitar re-amping too... and if you really want to have fun and have a piano handy [and a brick for the "sustain pedal"] you can get way over the top with the IBP as well.

Peace.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:45 am

I know you said you did NOT want Radial products. Any reason why?

They are quite good. And they have rack mounted units for what you need to do.

Maybe this is what you're looking for?

http://www.radialeng.com/di-jd6.htm

6 DIs in one rack space.

Or this one, to manage amps and guitars at the same time :

http://www.radialeng.com/re-jx44.htm

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:28 am

Ryan Silva wrote: The Little Labs PCP is very close to what I want in function, but even with a rack mount adapter, what does it take up 2-3 spaces vertically?
Little Labs Website wrote:Daisy-chaining multiple rack-mountable Red Eyes (4 units fit a 1U space), with the supplied expansion in and out rear jacks and front panel expansion button, opens up the further creative potential of the Red Eye. Multiple guitar level impedance outputs can be created from a single balanced line level source, allowing you to correctly interface multiple vintage effect pedals or re-amp to multiple guitar amps. When used with any active direct box, whether it be a Little Labs Multi Z DI or other brands such as Avalon, Demeter or Evil Twin, the Red Eye creates a superb quality guitar level/impedance multiple output guitar splitter with as many outputs as Red Eyes.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:52 am

noeqplease wrote:I know you said you did NOT want Radial products. Any reason why?

6 DIs in one rack space.

Cheers
It doesn't appear that either of these offer reamping capabilities.

llmonty
re-cappin' neve

Post by llmonty » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:24 pm

trodden wrote:
Ryan Silva wrote: The Little Labs PCP is very close to what I want in function, but even with a rack mount adapter, what does it take up 2-3 spaces vertically?
Little Labs Website wrote:Daisy-chaining multiple rack-mountable Red Eyes (4 units fit a 1U space), with the supplied expansion in and out rear jacks and front panel expansion button, opens up the further creative potential of the Red Eye. Multiple guitar level impedance outputs can be created from a single balanced line level source, allowing you to correctly interface multiple vintage effect pedals or re-amp to multiple guitar amps. When used with any active direct box, whether it be a Little Labs Multi Z DI or other brands such as Avalon, Demeter or Evil Twin, the Red Eye creates a superb quality guitar level/impedance multiple output guitar splitter with as many outputs as Red Eyes.
I had the red eye for a while before I upgraded to the PCP. It was equally rad and indeed can fit multiple units into 1 rack space. Fletcher's idea is a good one too - could maybe do 1 IBP and 3 redeyes...cost effective.
richmond is a really cool town - supafuzz

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Wed Jul 07, 2010 3:41 pm

subatomic pieces wrote:
noeqplease wrote:I know you said you did NOT want Radial products. Any reason why?

6 DIs in one rack space.

Cheers
It doesn't appear that either of these offer reamping capabilities.
Ya come on 'noeqplease' read the damn post!

:wink: ...... wait that was pretty harsh; better add another emoticons.... :lol:

MoreSpaceEcho

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:04 pm

Marc Alan Goodman wrote:I'm building one right now based on the JLM audio Dingo Jr kit. 6 channels i/o. Gonna use it for 4 tape echos and 2 guitar pedal stations in my rack.

THAT SOUNDS WONDERFULL!!!

The more I have been doing research, the more the PCP is sounding better and better.

#1 it racks
#2 It does distro
#3 front and back i/o

I am curious how long the "long run" HiZ output goes, and if it's as efficient as the Little Labs Transmition Tool that I just got.

Anyone have any experience with that?

Fletcher, the IBP is quite cool, a good friend of mine that plays bass for Exodus left one of those over at my place, not long enough however.

Your phase technique sounds very useful, have to try that out.

Thanks
Last edited by Ryan Silva on Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

MoreSpaceEcho

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:14 pm

Ryan Silva wrote: a good friend of mine that plays bass for Exodus ...
awesome.

Peterson Goodwyn
pushin' record

Post by Peterson Goodwyn » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:43 am

Marc Alan Goodman wrote:I'm building one right now based on the JLM audio Dingo Jr kit. 6 channels i/o. Gonna use it for 4 tape echos and 2 guitar pedal stations in my rack.

Did someone go off the DIY deep end? How's the water? Better yet, how are the LAZ 1084s?