Telefunken V76... is it all that it's hyped up to be?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

lassoharp
ass engineer

Post by lassoharp » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:35 pm

And don't forget to be a smart shopper when trolling the waters. Keep a limit on what you agree is a good price. Once you get carried away on an ebay auction for example, that high closing price sets a precedence for future sells. It can snowball.
Back around 1999 I scoffed at paying 750.00 for a Gates SA-39 limiter - that was somebody's market price at the time. It's over double that now.

There's an active thread at Prodigy about cloning a V amp. Lots of good info there.

If that V-76 turns out to be your Rosetta Stone - keep it. Just like with gobs of other vintage gear - you may try 10 other V-76s and hear 10 different results. Maybe subtle maybe big.

*cisko*
studio intern

Post by *cisko* » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:50 am

my .02, get something reliable, sure the v76 might sound great but you don't want to be risking damaging a vintage pre that cost you a ton of money when you are going to be lugging it around (you said it was a traveling rig). I would go for some bae stuff if you have that kind of money to spend on a pre. sounds awesome, classic and travels well in a rack