Vintech 1272 vs. 273

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Matt C.
suffering 'studio suck'

Vintech 1272 vs. 273

Post by Matt C. » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:24 am

I'm wondering what the big difference is between these two Vintech preamps. I've never had a chance to use these amps or the originals they are based on. I've been (probably foolishly) thinking about getting 2 channels of "higher-end" preamps, but i'm trying not to go way overboard, so the price on the Vintech stuff seems about right. I'm looking for something that will provide a noticeably different sound than all the middle-of-the-road preamps i have now (RNP, Joemeek VC6Q, Tascam M520 console). I've heard people raving about the BAE stuff, which is tempting because i'm looking to pair these with nice EQ, which is already on some BAE models, but i just can't justify dropping 6 grand on a pair of those.

sorry this thread is a bit of a rote, i don't mean for it to be a "tell me what to buy" thing, just looking for comparisons between these two Vintech models. or whether i should just stay away and look elsewhere. thanks.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:28 pm

Keep saving and get the BAE stuff...

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:12 am

Have you considered Great River? Never used the vintech or bae but the Great River pres are very nice on every source I've used them for.. and they don't have the tub of some Neves... You can get with EQ or without, or in 500 series format.

Fast Trax
studio intern

Vintech 1272 info

Post by Fast Trax » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:01 am

I bought one several years ago and its been great. The newer ones no longer state using "Neve" parts on the front, so I'm not sure if that was legal or whether they'd run out of parts and now use similar parts. I remember talking with them when purchased (it was not sold through retailers only direct at the time) and was told they bought up the remaining inventory of parts, and I assumed they meant tranformers, etc.

Threrefore, I'm not sure what you're getting in the newer ones, but its apparently based on the Neve 1272 line amp which is being sold today as a mic pre.

I like them on vocals (with Neumann especially), kick, snare, bass guitar with the built in DI, keyboards sound huge, acoustic guitar. Most anything really.

If you're considering the Vintech 1272 and want one of the older original ones, you can PM me as I'm considering going with a mic pre / EQ combo and am considering selling mine.

Matt C.
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Matt C. » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:07 am

i have considered great river too. it's on the edge of being a bit too expensive, but since i could probably find one used it might be a good option.

after looking at the BAE stuff more, i'm thinking of buying the two channel "mic pre only" version of the BAE 1073 ($2000), then maybe getting a pair of those square state solid state EQs. i can't believe how the price of the BAE stuff goes up so much on the models with EQ.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:43 am

I've used both of them, but at different studios under differewnt circumstances. I can't tell you what the differences are, sonically (if there are any), but both units sound terrific and seem well-built.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:01 am

From recent personal experience, I have to say that the reason why BAE's EQ's add so much more cost is because it's often were the magic happens.

There is a You Tube video out there doing a head too head with Vintech and AMS/Neve.

http://www.google.com/search?q=Sound+pu ... CDgQqwQwAw

My only beef about this test is that while the grand piano is great for testing frequency response, it's not going to give a good idea of tone while reproducing fast transients, like drums, and percussion.
I'm looking for something that will provide a noticeably different sound than all the middle-of-the-road preamps i have now (RNP, Joemeek VC6Q, Tascam M520 console).
Well I'll say this; you?re going to hear a larger improvement between what you have now, and the Vintech stuff, than you would if you went from Vintech to AMS/Neve, or BAE.

Point being, you?re going to be happy either way. However you might not be so impressed that you?re inclined to weep at the sound of the Vintech's, as I was with the BAE 1023.

The largest difference in my mind would be build and component quality, there is a reason why Vintechs are less expense, and it might show up in the form of a repair down the line. (note: I haven't heard of any reliability problems with Vintech Gear.)
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

joninc
dead but not forgotten

Post by joninc » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:34 am

the difference in eq. the 1272 has none and the 273 has some.

i have the 1272 and it rocks - very chunky and thick. somewhat darker - not a fast preamp. think of it as a nice contrast to your RNP which is very fast and clean.

the eq is nice for sure but IMO not amazing and not essential if $ is tight.

that said - i have a GR too and i would def keep the GR over the vintech if i had to choose. thankfully - for now anyway - i don't.

the GR is similar in it's thickness of tone but is less dark and more versatile overall.
the new rules : there are no rules

Matt C.
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Matt C. » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:09 pm

hmm, thanks for the advice. Great River is sounding better and better, especially since i would probably sell my RNP to raise some cash for this, so having something versatile like the Great River to replace it would be nice.

i guess ultimately i have to remember that, like Ryan said, these are all pretty good options that represent a big step up from what i have, and i'm sure i will be pleased with any of them.

biggator6
audio school

Post by biggator6 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:26 pm

Completely different units... one based on a 1073, one based on a 1272 (which wasn't meant as a mic preamp in the first place).

I have an X73i, from which the 273 comes.. and it's amazing. The Vintech stuff is great, built like a tank and sounds good.

Whether you go with Vintech, BAE or GR - all are great, and you'll be thrilled with any of them.

That being said - I think I'd go for the 273 between those two Vintech units.. there's just something 'right' about a 1073-based preamp.

Ryan Silva
tinnitus

Post by Ryan Silva » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:21 pm

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/273

Saw this on Sweetwater today looked like a good deal. :)
"Writing good songs is hard. recording is easy. "

MoreSpaceEcho

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:25 pm

biggator6 wrote:Completely different units... one based on a 1073, one based on a 1272 (which wasn't meant as a mic preamp in the first place).
Yeah, but electronically, the input stages of both are nearly identical.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Matt C.
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Matt C. » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:57 pm

Ryan Silva wrote:http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/273

Saw this on Sweetwater today looked like a good deal. :)
i saw that too, but if you add the price of the power supply, it's about the same price as a BAE 1073mp or a used two channel great river pre. so i guess it's between a used vintech 1272 as the cheaper option, or a coin toss between the other three units.