48 kHz IR's in a 96 kHz project??

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

turtlejon1
pluggin' in mics

48 kHz IR's in a 96 kHz project??

Post by turtlejon1 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:56 pm

will using lower sampling frequency IRs be lower quality than hi res ones? do 24/96 irs even exist. all the free ones seem to be 48. is the difference even audible? can anyone suggest where to find some hi res ones?
thanks!
-always thankful-

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: 48 kHz IR's in a 96 kHz project??

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:33 pm

turtlejon1 wrote:will using lower sampling frequency IRs be lower quality than hi res ones? do 24/96 irs even exist. all the free ones seem to be 48. is the difference even audible? can anyone suggest where to find some hi res ones?
thanks!
Hi,

I sometimes use the Logic "Space Designer" which allows you to change the "speed" according to the ir sample rate. If you have a 96khz sample ir you can halve it to get a double sized reverb for example. Does your IR plug in allow you to do that?

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

turtlejon1
pluggin' in mics

Post by turtlejon1 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:20 pm

it does, i'm using space designer also... sometimes IR-L, but what i'm wondering is say i have a project with 96 kHz audio, i want to throw some reverb on it, some of these new free IR's i downloaded are only 48 or even 44.1 kHz responses. will this cause any lower quality sound than using a 96 kHz IR? i.e. weird quantizations, jitters, other digital gremlins that i have no idea even existed...?
-always thankful-

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:11 am

turtlejon1 wrote:it does, i'm using space designer also... sometimes IR-L, but what i'm wondering is say i have a project with 96 kHz audio, i want to throw some reverb on it, some of these new free IR's i downloaded are only 48 or even 44.1 kHz responses. will this cause any lower quality sound than using a 96 kHz IR? i.e. weird quantizations, jitters, other digital gremlins that i have no idea even existed...?
Try it, you should be fine as S.D. Converts on the fly to the current session sample rate...

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

turtlejon1
pluggin' in mics

Post by turtlejon1 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 6:20 am

well, it works. i get reverb through it. but my question is does it lower the quality of the sound to use a lower res IR. i can't always hear the differences in things this small, but it might be because i don't know exactly what to listen for.... or being a drummer, or having less than optimal monitoring conditions....
thanks
-always thankful-

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:12 am

You'll drive yourself crazy worrying about sonic problems that you can't hear. If it sounds good, it is good.