Offered work but not sure who the artist is

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

kingtoad
pushin' record

Offered work but not sure who the artist is

Post by kingtoad » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:07 am

Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice, primarily from the more experienced posters who have worked on big projects (Joel, Chris etc). I received an email a couple of days ago from a guy saying he was an assistant to "a well established UK band". He's looking for me to do some work with them. Anyway, a couple of emails back and forth and we spoke on the phone.

He outlined the broad terms etc on the phone but apologised that he still could not reveal any more details about the artist. He said that's just the way they work. The hourly rate offered is more than I would usually earn in an hour, so this is either a very big artist or, possibly, some kind of scam.

I don't like to be cynical but it's hard not to think of the possibilities when I'm confronted with something I've never experienced before. Has anyone ever had any experience of something like this, or know if it's common practice?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:58 am

Broad terms... Mystery... Smells like scam.

Burnt Ernie
steve albini likes it

Post by Burnt Ernie » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:02 am

+1.
Get at least half upfront.
I am the Walnut

kingtoad
pushin' record

Post by kingtoad » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:06 am

Hmmm, thanks for the input. I should point out, the terms were not completely broad - they do specify the kind of work, duration and dates. I also tried to get it moved as the dates were not perfect for me and they were unable to change the dates - this could be an elaborate double bluff kind of thing, I dunno, but I would have thought a scammer would just say yes.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Re: Offered work but not sure who the artist is

Post by Gregg Juke » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:16 am

Do they want to work in your studio, or have you work somewhere else?
How did they contact you? Did you ask them how they found you? Was it a recommendation from a friend or associate that you know and trust? Have they offered a contract that you both can sign, or have they even mentioned it? Have they wanted to hear about your discography? Have they asked you to produce, or simply engineer; and if produce, have they mentioned pre-production?

Some "big time" people operate with a lot of mystery, others don't and are very "plain folk"/upfront about everything. I wouldn't give them too much information if they don't give you any more, and I wouldn't let them in your studio until you know what the deal is.

The mystery doesn't necessarily mean it's a scam, but I'd err on the side of caution. Even an actual/bonafide "high-profile" musician stole a dat machine and some other gear (mics) from a commercial studio I used to work with (sorry, "borrowed, moved away, and never returned the gear" to be precise).

GJ

kingtoad
pushin' record

Post by kingtoad » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:20 am

Hi, they have booked a studio in London, so they won't be anywhere near any of my stuff. That's what I don't get - if it were a scam I don't see how they are actually going to get anything off me.

I don't really want to reveal too much about specifics of the work they've asked me to do - if it's legit it might be considered a breach of confidence. I'm going to ask for some details about the studio they've booked and some questions about contracts.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:27 am

I don't mean offense... but, you don't have any links or location information in your profile... How did they contact you? Why did they contact you? Have you worked on something that they referenced in the contact? How did they find out about you?

Are you located in London? The U.K.?

kingtoad
pushin' record

Post by kingtoad » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:36 am

No offense taken. I deliberately don't have any links or such in my profile because I don't want anything I say on a message board to necessarily reflect me professionally.

The assistant contacted via email, and I've since spoken to him on the phone. I've inquired as to the whys and hows in the last hour or so as diplomatically as possible via email but have received no reply yet.

I've worked on some semi-popular stuff but nothing of this magnitude. My old band was pretty big, relatively speaking, in its time, so this could be another reason they sought me out.

I'm based in the UK, but not in London.

Thanks for all your replies so far. I'm trying to walk the line between skepticism and not being outright rude in my correspondence with the guy.

kingtoad
pushin' record

Post by kingtoad » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:48 am

As I say, I am wary because I am not a big name, but it's not out of the question that I would be asked to do this kind of thing based upon previous work/music. I probably have understated my levels of experience on this thread but that doesn't really bother me too much.

I will not be sending them money under any circumstances, that was already out of the question to start with. I was mainly inquiring whether anyone had ever encountered this level of mystery with a legitimate client.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:17 am

Meh... I'd just wait until you have more details. They surely don't expect you to accept the job without knowing who the artist is, right? I don't think that's common practice at all.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:54 am

kingtoad wrote:Hi all,

I'm looking for some advice, primarily from the more experienced posters who have worked on big projects (Joel, Chris etc). I received an email a couple of days ago from a guy saying he was an assistant to "a well established UK band". He's looking for me to do some work with them. Anyway, a couple of emails back and forth and we spoke on the phone.

He outlined the broad terms etc on the phone but apologised that he still could not reveal any more details about the artist. He said that's just the way they work. The hourly rate offered is more than I would usually earn in an hour, so this is either a very big artist or, possibly, some kind of scam.

I don't like to be cynical but it's hard not to think of the possibilities when I'm confronted with something I've never experienced before. Has anyone ever had any experience of something like this, or know if it's common practice?

Hi,

Is it the artist or the assistant who wants to do the work? This, is unclear to me.

Also, I have had situations where the first contact with a big artist starts similar to this, until they know you will be able to respect their non disclosure agreement, if they have one.

I say get more info until they commit to working with you, if in fact that is the case.

As an example I got to meet a very famous English act and I could not know who it was going to be until they showed up at the studio, and then we proceeded to have an interview. Got the gig though...

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

kingtoad
pushin' record

Post by kingtoad » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:25 am

noeqplease wrote:
kingtoad wrote:Hi all,

Hi,

Is it the artist or the assistant who wants to do the work? This, is unclear to me.

Also, I have had situations where the first contact with a big artist starts similar to this, until they know you will be able to respect their non disclosure agreement, if they have one.

I say get more info until they commit to working with you, if in fact that is the case.

As an example I got to meet a very famous English act and I could not know who it was going to be until they showed up at the studio, and then we proceeded to have an interview. Got the gig though...

Cheers
Hi, sorry I was not more clear. The work is for the artist - the guy who got in touch with me is, I think, an assistant to their management team rather than anything studio related. I could be wrong there as I didn't ask specifically but that was the impression i got. This post, coupled with some email correspondence I've been having with a couple of more experienced "bigger" producers has got me feeling a little more optimistic about the whole thing, though I'm still wary.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

CurtZHP
re-cappin' neve

Post by CurtZHP » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:36 am

I believe this to be a scam. There was small rash of these going on several months ago. I'm pretty sure it's been discussed on this forum, but I don't have the opportunity right now to find the past threads. Not sure what the ultimate goal of these people is, but they are not to be trusted.

I've gotten a few of these "offers" myself, and the initial contact is always the same. Someone from outside the US cold contacts you and claims they either represent an anonymous pop star or (in older versions) a traveling troupe of musicians who need to record. The contact specifies, before even hearing back from you, the dates and times, often expecting a full lock-out, and makes it sound like money is no object.
"TEMPUS FUGIT" the Novel -- Now Available!!
http://www.curtyengst.com

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:14 am

I got one overseas-type offer a few months back and so did a few friends on mine. I replied the same way I would reply to anyone.

"How much time do you need? When do you want to book? What else do you require of me? Securing a booking requires a 50% deposit and the balance is due at the end of the session, before any material leaves. Deposits are non-refundable and you get a one-time chance for rescheduling with 7 days' notice. Those are the official policies. Let me know how you would like to proceed."

Never heard back.

I know that Electrical Audio requires 100% of the time booked paid in advance with overseas projects. Makes a certain amount of sense to me.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

kingtoad
pushin' record

Post by kingtoad » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:17 am

Just to clarify again, this is not an overseas project, I am based in the UK.