George Martin disses Ringo

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:13 am

mobtownstudios wrote:
mjau wrote:
cgarges wrote:The fact that any one of us can type the word "Ringo" and we all know who it means says something.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Agreed. He's one of my favorite drummers, for sure.
I think one of the best qualities of a drummer is when not to play and Ringo perfected that.
For instance, he didn't play a single note on Dark Side of the Moon, and that album turned out pretty darn well.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

tdbajus
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by tdbajus » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:32 am

E-money wrote:
George Martin disses Ringo
Not as bad as John Lennon did:
Press Reporter: Do you think Ringo is the best drummer in the world?
John Lennon: I dont think he's the best drummer in The Beatles.
Every time I see that, it makes me laugh until tears come my eyes. Love you Ringo, but when my internal Lennon voice speaks it aloud in my head, it just tickles the bejesus out of me.

E-money
pushin' record

Post by E-money » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:55 pm

Every time I see that, it makes me laugh until tears come my eyes. Love you Ringo, but when my internal Lennon voice speaks it aloud in my head, it just tickles the bejesus out of me.
Agreed. It's a quote that tears me in 2 directions, I feel bad for Ringo. Paul McCartney played drums on a handfull of songs, how dare John make such an absurd statement.

Then I think about how PC the world has become.

John Lennon was never PC!

I miss him.
"Politics are like sports, where all the teams suck"

LazarusLong
steve albini likes it

Post by LazarusLong » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:58 pm

dwlb wrote:
mobtownstudios wrote:
mjau wrote:
cgarges wrote:The fact that any one of us can type the word "Ringo" and we all know who it means says something.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Agreed. He's one of my favorite drummers, for sure.
I think one of the best qualities of a drummer is when not to play and Ringo perfected that.
For instance, he didn't play a single note on Dark Side of the Moon, and that album turned out pretty darn well.
Hehehe
The truth of a proposition has nothing to do with its credibility. And vice versa.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:23 pm

personally i'd take ringo over george...

Julian
audio school

Post by Julian » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:26 pm

Clearly there are no drummers posting here ? Ringo revolutionized drumming and is considered one of the greatest ever!

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:49 pm

I think what made Ringo great was his personality and I think that shines through in his drumming.

I don't think a producer these days would ever offer a judgment of someone's talent in comparison to another's. Not that it's PC, but just not nice to do to someone. It's why everybody hates Piers on Americas Got Talent (my favorite show!! ha ha). He tells it like it is, and no one wants to hear it. We just don't like being judged, so when I read that quote, I went "whoa....stick it right on out there George, way to go."

Clearly Ringo's talent was not in songwriting, or brilliant singing, but rather his talent was in getting the most out of a song with what he brought to the table. And that is a talent. He rarely needed a second take. Ringo's drumming is "feel" drumming. It works.
"Analog smells like thrift stores. Digital smells like tiny hands from far away." - O-it-hz

musicians are fuckers, but even worse are people who like musicians, they're total fuckers.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Re: George Martin disses Ringo

Post by Gregg Juke » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:53 pm

...And he can still do it. And it's just as _deceptively_ simple (but very hard to copy legitimately).

GJ

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:36 pm

he's REALLY hard to copy. i have tried many times...

dsw
tinnitus

Post by dsw » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:44 pm

Does anyone know which songs are for sure Paul and not Ringo? I don't think I've ever come across that bit of trivia.
"Analog smells like thrift stores. Digital smells like tiny hands from far away." - O-it-hz

musicians are fuckers, but even worse are people who like musicians, they're total fuckers.

Jon Nolan
tinnitus

Post by Jon Nolan » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:21 pm

Ringo's feel, the sound of his drums, his ability to be an ensemble player and his creativity and are THE SHIT. Give me a thousand wannabe Ringo's over one decent Bonham or Moon at my studio, please.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:52 pm

>>>>Does anyone know which songs are for sure Paul and not Ringo? I don't think I've ever come across that bit of trivia.<<<<

No, I can't do that... (cue guitar lick, heh heh)...

I can tell you that Paul is fairly a-ok at a very simple 8th note groove (from watching him on that live from Abbey Road thing a few years back), and John looks downright terrible, if the quick cuts from "Help!" are any indication... Neither of them could touch Ringo (as a drummer, of course), and Paul did tell Ringo he was the greatest rock & roll drummer, ever (but he was trying to get him back in the band).

GJ

Mr PC
buyin' gear

Post by Mr PC » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:13 pm

I think people overlook how unique Ringo's role as the Beatles drummer was. So many songs had unconventional drum parts that came in and out, had just a hi-hat here or there, etc.

The musicality of his drumming, the way he reinforced the songwriters. He did one hell of a great job.

I would not want any other drummer (besides Bernard Purdie....) in Ringo's seat.

Does anyone wish that Bonham was the Beatles drummer?

I'm sure that many are glad that Ringo wasn't Led Zep's drummer

PC
I don't know karate but I know ka-razy!

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:33 pm

dsw wrote:Does anyone know which songs are for sure Paul and not Ringo? I don't think I've ever come across that bit of trivia.
I think it's a lot of White Album stuff. For sure I know Paul drummed on "Ballad of John and Yoko."

Other sources list "Back in the USSR," "Dear Prudence," and "Wild Honey Pie" as Paul.

Lewisohn confirms:

Dear Prudence: tracked 28 August 1968, John and George on guitar + Paul on drums made up the basic track.

Wild Honey Pie: all Paul, tracked 20 August 1968.

Back in the USSR: tracked 22 August 1968...the day Ringo quit the band. Paul stepped in on drums to keep the session going. Though the entry implies a composite drum track that may have been played by any (or all) of the other three Beatles.

Ballad of John & Yoko: tracked 14 April 1969. John and Paul were the only Beatles at the session. the basic track was Paul on drums, John on acoustic guitar.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:52 am

And that's another thing. If Ringo sucked so bad, why would already and legitimately accomplished drummers like Bernard Purdie try to scam his credits on a regular basis? Who wants to steal credit for something that's no good?

GJ