Does anyone still mix / master without viewing WAVs ??

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:41 am

dwlb wrote:I
Seriously, why is this thread still going?
To see if WAV editing is necessary to sustain a studio : We had four digital machines before there was a connection for a mouse/ LCD , was even available. Really to see if it is the clients that request the editing or the engineer just does it as second nature. For 30 years we have not had to rely on the method & may introduce into our learning curve.
Last edited by cjogo on Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
whatever happened to ~ just push record......

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:10 am

cjogo wrote:
To see if WAV editing is necessary to sustain a studio : We had four digital machines before there was a connection for a mouse/ LCD available. Really to see if it the clients that request the editing or the engineer just does it as second nature. For 30 years we have not had to rely on the method & may introduce into our learning curve.
I have not had any clients ask for tape in 5 years. However they all ask for "Pro Tools"...

So, YES, if you want your studio to continue bringing in the $$$, you must give your clientele what they want.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:26 am

Never used PT personally --- No one seems to request a designated platform as of just yet .... but, if we get a younger/modern artist I could see that happening :: most of our clients are just amazed to see our Roland & flying faders , instead of tape.
Think we will continue to let other engineers track here and watch them control the newer software ( PT and LOGIC so far ) . thanks againImage

http://www.ryandavidorr.com/music/997 non PT
Last edited by cjogo on Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:33 pm, edited 5 times in total.

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:49 am

dwlb wrote:
vvv wrote:So, you produce the Rolling Stones, doya? :twisted:
8)
Liked that band during Buttons & Aftermath --lost me after that..

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Sun Aug 01, 2010 1:10 pm

I've been crazy busy the past month or so, but I've been popping by to see what's going on here every week or so, and I can't believe this thread is still going. I figured I'd take a minute to mention a few things that really amaze me about it, though:

1) Subatomic is not more offended yet.

2) You're still talking about "WAVs" like they are something you see on a screen. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong (and I know noeqplease alluded to this earlier), but a .WAV is just a type of digital audio file, like an AIFF or MP3 or SDII. A "waveform" is the visual representation of a sound and what I believe you've been talking about from the start. I'm not trying to be nitpicky, but you keep on saying "WAV editing" and I think that's adding confusion to an already ambiguous topic.

3) You seem to be stuck in this weird point of technology where digital recording, automated faders and midi-controlled samples are second nature, yet visual editing (and muting?...) are some strange new-fangled thing those kids these days are into.

So, just to get this straight, this thread is supposed to be about how much most people use visual editing in their workflow, right? Well, some use it a lot, some don't use it at all, most use it somewhere in the middle, based on their own priorities and needs. There are tons of threads here and on every recording forum where people wax poetic about the subject. Just search for the phrases "analog vs. digital", "OTB vs. ITB" or "use my DAW as a tape machine", and you'll get more discussion than you'll ever need.
cjogo wrote:
To see if WAV editing is necessary to sustain a studio :
Your answer:

Wait for it.....

It depends.

If you've got people coming in who want that vintage, old-school, Roland VS approach, and are leaving your studio with an awesome sounding recording that they are so happy with that they tell all their friends, then by all means go for it. Create that niche! 90's retro is just around the corner anyway so who knows, you may end up being the Daptone of that whole scene.

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Sun Aug 01, 2010 3:13 pm

DrummerMan wrote: . A "waveform" is the visual representation of a sound and what I believe you've been talking about from the start. I'm not trying to be nitpicky, but you keep on saying "WAV editing" and I think that's adding confusion to an already ambiguous topic.
.[quo

.[/quote]

Sorry, Yes > WAV form editing -- We were just inquiring about our future in the biz :: if and when we may have to "upgrade" > & it looks like a major portion, are already there.
PS Did not wish to offend anyone ambiguously :oops:
Last edited by cjogo on Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Sun Aug 01, 2010 4:44 pm

DrummerMan wrote:
3) You seem to be stuck in this weird point of technology where digital recording, automated faders and midi-controlled samples are second nature, yet visual editing (and muting?...) are some strange new-fangled thing those kids these days are into.

Sure ~~ some of you were introduced to a computer way before you were 40 :: but, there are many who still don't live on their computers or have even one in the home ( Yes, even today )

The ROLAND appears to be a strange new-fangled thing those kids these days are into to many clients who enter our studios.

Our clients don't really have a preconception of the gear or recorder of choice :: they are old-school because they are not aware of new school

SO : Yes > thanks for understanding >> stuck in a weird point ..you might say > with other masses between 60-80 years young :lol:

Come on :: be kind >> I still have cassette in my Acura >> not everyone has fully upgraded, as the modern world creeps in :shock:

Will search the threads links :idea: --thanks
Last edited by cjogo on Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Sun Aug 01, 2010 7:41 pm

DrummerMan wrote: (and muting?...)

Yes, there are individual MUTE buttons under each channel > on the face of the VS
--we usually just hit a SOLO button , instead of muting a track.

Most of the VS is edited through a pattern of buttons > less emphasis on mouse or keyboard Image

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:14 pm

It really doesn't matter.

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Mon Aug 02, 2010 6:29 pm

InvalidInk wrote:It really doesn't matter.
I guess it does not really matter for our market, as of yet .... When the WAV form editing becomes a demand/request, we will deal with then >> thanks everyone ~~I will continue to research the subject and hopefully pick up the skill when the time arises.

Artifex
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Artifex » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:42 am

:crazy:
I am the terrible byproduct of the erosion of Jeff's 'society'.

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:57 am

i was stubborn years ago and said i'd never go to a daw. now that great musicians are really hard to find these days, i am absolutely spoiled with a daw.

The first machine i ever used was a multi-track tape recorder....then,

i went to 16bit black faced adats (with the BRC), and an analog console with rackmount units for compression and effects...mixing to the old tried and true panasonic dat machine...monitoring through yamaha ns10's.

then i went to a yamaha aw4416 - which wasn't bad at the time because it had motorised faders and full automation, but a very limited editing feature set.

after i finally "gave in" and went to a daw, i've never looked back.

what i miss though, is that you either had good chops, or you went home and worked on it.... now, i have folks coming in who aren't ready, and want me to just "fix it." and of course, i will - which in turn contributes to even more of the problem. ha ha :oops: :roll:

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:08 pm

casey campbell wrote: want me to just "fix it." and of course, i will - which in turn contributes to even more of the problem. ha ha :oops: :roll:
When they find that to "fix it" > will put them way-over budget -- they go home and practice their song ::

-- We interview each client -- when we discuss budget and what they expect to be accomplished is totally unlikely > they search out another spot.

Maybe visual Wav editing promotes the latest style artist & their music -- part of their tool ??
Last edited by cjogo on Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:03 am

casey campbell wrote:now that great musicians are really hard to find these days,
:roll:

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:12 am

Many great musicians out there today :: some just record with a different attitude > more post than pre .....

When I first started playing /performing , the other band members would tease you , if your chops were not up to your best. They would threaten to call in the Crew I[/]

In the 60's they had a "fix it "band > the famous Wrecking Crew. Many of the early 60's hits were recorded by its members, instead of the actual national group recording the hits. Glen, Carol & Jim are the only three I met.... but, they said they had steady work for 10 years.

Seems the Wav editing is like Photoshop for photographers > who just fix after. :P