Does anyone still mix / master without viewing WAVs ??

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:36 am

yeah man, you got it. you and your musicians and your fucking roland are the only true sounds in all of modern music. the rest of the world with our fancy DAW Fix-It-Machines are just recording untalented hacks and staring blankly at screens, mouse clicks the only sound in the room.

suppositron
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by suppositron » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:56 am

cjogo wrote:
DrummerMan wrote: (and muting?...)

Yes, there are individual MUTE buttons under each channel > on the face of the VS
--we usually just hit a SOLO button , instead of muting a track.

Most of the VS is edited through a pattern of buttons > less emphasis on mouse or keyboard Image
Is there a reason you keep your master fader at +6dB?

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:14 am

Is there a reason you keep your master fader at +6dB?
Probably because with the other faders in the -12 and lower range, things come out kinda quiet.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:36 am

c'mon. everyone knows that roland really starts to sing when you push the master up.

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:44 am

thank god we got this all straightened out. now, can we talk about PUnctUATION>>

suppositron
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by suppositron » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:54 pm

Oh my god I am dying.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:00 pm

we can get this thing to 10 pages. c'mon people.

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:43 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:we can get this thing to 10 pages. c'mon people.
i have my doubts.

but!

i've always been curious

is a page a fixed length or a fixed amount of

?

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:49 pm

cjogo wrote:
dwlb wrote:I
Seriously, why is this thread still going?
To see if WAV editing is necessary to sustain a studio : We had four digital machines before there was a connection for a mouse/ LCD , was even available. Really to see if it is the clients that request the editing or the engineer just does it as second nature. For 30 years we have not had to rely on the method & may introduce into our learning curve.

See, I want to believe that you're genuinely trying to get this -- that you're honestly just looking for other perspectives in an attempt to get an idea of what your future business plan and purchasing decisions should be. But every other response from you is something like this:
cjogo wrote:
Seems the Wav editing is like Photoshop for photographers > who just fix after. :P
...which, when seen through a certain lens, comes off as reductionist and insulting. Some of the flak you've been getting on this thread is the result of this perception -- the perception that you're just trolling, just taking a position that you know is controversial in order to rile people up. I want to extend you the credit of assuming that this is not your intention and that you are unaware of the effect your language is having on this conversation. But that effect is present nonetheless.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:50 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:yeah man, you got it. you and your musicians and your fucking roland are the only true sounds in all of modern music. the rest of the world with our fancy DAW Fix-It-Machines are just recording untalented hacks and staring blankly at screens, mouse clicks the only sound in the room.
...definitely not really true sounds and no way modern : by any means ...:D Was so happy that our sixth DAW finally had a mouse & LCD -- and many here were already recording with newer editing, your first DAW out. Got a jump start in the Fix-it world >> We will catch up in the future---
whatever happened to ~ just push record......

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:37 pm

dwlb wrote:
cjogo wrote:
dwlb wrote:I

See, I want to believe that you're genuinely trying to get this -- that you're honestly just looking for other perspectives in an attempt to get an idea of what your future business plan and purchasing decisions should be. But every other response from you is something like this:
cjogo wrote:
Thanks ~~ sorry to stir trouble ---Just was a tool of the music industry I had not dove into. My curiosity is answered :: seems everyone works with some type of Wave visual editing ...it is not strictly for corrective measures > but a genuine tool

thanks again --will take some introduction classes

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:04 pm

cjogo wrote:
Thanks ~~ sorry to stir trouble ---Just was a tool of the music industry I had not dove into. My curiosity is answered :: seems everyone works with some type of Wave visual editing ...it is not strictly for corrective measures > but a genuine tool

thanks again --will take some introduction classes
No worries; I had definitely started to get the idea that you might not know why you were getting the responses you were.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:42 pm

Felt a little snubbed -- but, realized that for most > they implement this editing ::: like one would commonly use a compressor . We had gotten by so many years, without the WAV screen even gracing the studio. Just discovering some new recording avenues old guy learns new tricks -- thanks kindly

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:24 pm

suppositron wrote:Oh my god I am dying.
Hey dying to learn wav editing -- have found someone gracious enough to stop by one of our studios > at least get us into the ground floor & find out how to incorporate for our future clients.

Artifex
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Artifex » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:59 pm

cjogo wrote:
suppositron wrote:Oh my god I am dying.
Hey dying to learn wav editing -- have found someone gracious enough to stop by one of our studios > at least get us into the ground floor & find out how to incorporate for our future clients.
You know, it's really no that hard. In fact, it's pretty easy and intuitive. I guess that's why there are so many hacks and amateurs running around these days!!

You probably could have 'learned' how to to do .wav editing in about the amount of time you've spent instigating comments on this thread. :wink:
I am the terrible byproduct of the erosion of Jeff's 'society'.