Does anyone still mix / master without viewing WAVs ??

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:39 pm

Not so easy maybe on the ROLAND VS -- but, when I get to Reaper in a few months :: maybe really simple ... looking forward to it ~!!
whatever happened to ~ just push record......

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:00 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:yeah man, you got it. you and your musicians and your fucking roland are the only true sounds in all of modern music. the rest of the world with our fancy DAW Fix-It-Machines are just recording untalented hacks and staring blankly at screens, mouse clicks the only sound in the room.
ha ha. i knew that would get a "rile" out of someone.

oh man...i was really just kidding. im actually working on a album right now with amazing musicians.

just had a violinist come in who teaches at the college....she brought some amazing chops to the project!

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:56 pm

Works so well :: when the artist do their job >> so you can engineer your task at your best too ... Never had that close of relationship with my ROlAND, by the way :lol:

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:59 pm

casey campbell wrote:
MoreSpaceEcho wrote:yeah man, you got it. you and your musicians and your fucking roland are the only true sounds in all of modern music. the rest of the world with our fancy DAW Fix-It-Machines are just recording untalented hacks and staring blankly at screens, mouse clicks the only sound in the room.

oh man...i was really just kidding. im actually working on a album right now with amazing musicians.

just had a violinist come in who teaches at the college....she brought some amazing chops to the project!
i was replying to some crazy thing cjogo wrote actually...

casey campbell
buyin' a studio

Post by casey campbell » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:56 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
casey campbell wrote:

i was replying to some crazy thing cjogo wrote actually...

ha ha, i must have a guilty conscience!

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:05 pm

We just get introduced to WAV editing and a thread about mastering MP3 appears :: hope that's not next on the horizon :cry: for us to tackle.........

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:38 pm

^ Hope it's not on the rise too but it was an unfortunate circumstance. Don't worry I believe I can over come this obstacle and make a good sounding master of the album.

Tims96
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Tims96 » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:20 am

Wow, this thread. I can't believe it really took 8 pages before things started to get a bit strongly-worded.

Anyway, I have a quick tale for the OP who is contemplating learning visual editing: I had a client recently who was as inexperienced as could be in regards to computer recording technology; he knew nothing about keeping takes without erasing previous ones, was concerned about having enough hard drive space to record 4 songs (on a 1.5 TB hard drive), etc.

But as soon as he came into the control room after laying down a take, he was able to instantly look at the waveform in Pro Tools and point to the spot where he heard a bad note. That's how easy and intuitive it is. You can quickly and easily see the audio you recorded, and the best part is that there's no learning curve for understanding what you're looking at. All you need to learn is how to use the tools to edit what you see.

And I know you've not expressed this sentiment outright, but just in case it's in the back of your mind: there's nothing inherently insidious or dishonest about editing audio this way. It's just a different and (in the opinion of many on this board, including myself) more powerful, efficient, and enjoyable way.

Congratulations on starting this thread and good luck with your journey into WAV-land!

suppositron
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by suppositron » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:16 am

cjogo wrote:
suppositron wrote:Oh my god I am dying.
Hey dying to learn wav editing -- have found someone gracious enough to stop by one of our studios > at least get us into the ground floor & find out how to incorporate for our future clients.
Hey, dude, I'm glad to hear that. Embrace the technology.
MoreSpaceEcho wrote:c'mon. everyone knows that roland really starts to sing when you push the master up.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:26 am

Tims96 wrote: And I know you've not expressed this sentiment outright, but just in case it's in the back of your mind: there's nothing inherently insidious or dishonest about editing audio this way. It's just a different and (in the opinion of many on this board, including myself) more powerful, efficient, and enjoyable way.

Very well said.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:32 am

10 pages!

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:36 am

c'mon.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:38 am