Does anyone still mix / master without viewing WAVs ??

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Autodidact
gettin' sounds

Post by Autodidact » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:23 pm

cjogo wrote:If we were loosing business because of the lack of knowledge/application to edit a WAV ~~ we would be in a class tomorrow~!
So what the fuck do you want? A blowjob for not using wav editing? Keep looking.
Formerly known as 'Perranfulo'

Why do people find the need to use the word "anal" in day to day conversation?

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:24 pm

cjogo wrote: its application must be totally based on your clients style of music.
stop. cut it out with this shit. 13 pages in and you're still harping on the same thing. do you really think that everyone on this thread who's said "i edit wav's on a screen" is working on the same style of music? do you think we're working on the same style of music every damn day?

jesus this is tiresome.

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:47 pm

Are you in Carmel-by-the-Sea? Because I just checked on Google Maps, and it's hardly hundreds of miles to the next home. Hundreds of yards? I'd go for that. With only 20 people in a hundred mile radius - and 5 of them have their own studios - how on earth could you ever have anyone to record?
Carmel Valley -- I believe the next home is about 100 miles from the backdoor > maybe Cambria down the coast .. The average age is about 65 .... so not much hip hop request to track ':)') census > 4700 population
Last edited by cjogo on Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
whatever happened to ~ just push record......

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:48 pm

Autodidact wrote:
cjogo wrote:If we were loosing business because of the lack of knowledge/application to edit a WAV ~~ we would be in a class tomorrow~!
So what the fuck do you want? A blowjob for not using wav editing? Keep looking.
WOW what do you get if you use wav editing ?? Yes, still looking for info -- thanks kindly.
Last edited by cjogo on Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Sat Sep 11, 2010 4:55 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
cjogo wrote: its application must be totally based on your clients style of music.
stop. cut it out with this shit. 13 pages in and you're still harping on the same thing. do you really think that everyone on this thread who's said "i edit wav's on a screen" is working on the same style of music? do you think we're working on the same style of music every damn day?

jesus this is tiresome.

Well consider yourself very fortunate -- because we work on about the same style music day in = day out ... for about 30 years. Beatleish Pop /World ~Jazz / & Bluegrassy mixes...http://www.gearslutz.com/board/attachme ... rack-1.mp3
Last edited by cjogo on Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:14 pm

Gentleman Jim wrote: ---
. If you want to keep doing things the way you have, then we all support you 100%. But if you're seriously considering making the leap to Reaper or any other software, then spend your energy in that direction; keeping this thread alive is going to bring diminishing returns.
The software ( the Bear Ripper) for moving wavs to a PC had just recently been perfected/written & a new hardware device VIR DIS will be supported in December ( remember no USB / FIrewire on the ROLANDS -- just RBUS and SCSI ) it will allow us to connect via Ethernet from the SCSI ~~ and have located someone for a tutorship for editing in Reaper ~! On our way to test your world :arrow:

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:42 pm

Gentleman Jim wrote: ---

I'll admit that I find that piece somewhat incongruous in the beautiful and luxurious space you have, but that's my hangup. If you're turning out good work, more power to you. There are going to be all-in-one recorders for the foreseeable future, so if you like that workflow you should be fine.
The owner/producer of that marvelous spot -- hired me because I could run the Roland gear ( a referral from another great studio owner along the Big Sur Coast ) > he likes the simple approach work-flow of the VS & its automated faders for the 24 channels. . Certainly would not had been employed , for the last 4 CDs , with this producer ~ if not proficient on the VS2480.

If adding Wav editing to my repertoire ,,, could net me more than the modest $100 an hour, the Roland commands > best get my ass in gear ~!
Last edited by cjogo on Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Waltz Mastering
steve albini likes it

Post by Waltz Mastering » Sat Sep 11, 2010 5:52 pm

Why does this thread seem like it was started in the year 1994?

Do they have good ganja in Carmel?

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Sat Sep 11, 2010 6:06 pm

Waltz Mastering wrote:Why does this thread seem like it was started in the year 1994?

Think that was the year of our first ROLAND VS (':shock:') could have cast a spell over us --- ( VS 880 on sale for $2,150 with under a gig of HD (':evil:')

No Tom > Carmel is more of a fine wine spot (':lol:') Great studio back East ~!

Gentleman Jim
buyin' a studio

Post by Gentleman Jim » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:54 am

cjogo wrote:
Are you in Carmel-by-the-Sea? Because I just checked on Google Maps, and it's hardly hundreds of miles to the next home. Hundreds of yards? I'd go for that. With only 20 people in a hundred mile radius - and 5 of them have their own studios - how on earth could you ever have anyone to record?
Carmel Valley -- I believe the next home is about 100 miles from the backdoor > maybe Cambria down the coast .. The average age is about 65 .... so not much hip hop request to track ':)') census > 4700 population
If it's 100 miles from the back door, maybe you'd be smarter going out the front door. Once again, I've looked at Google Maps, and while you're not in what I'd call a megalopolis, you do have cities reasonably close by. Enough already with the Little House on the Prairie act.

And your line about a "humble" $100 an hour just comes off like trolling.

Waltz Mastering
steve albini likes it

Post by Waltz Mastering » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:04 am

cjogo wrote:
Waltz Mastering wrote:Why does this thread seem like it was started in the year 1994?

Think that was the year of our first ROLAND VS (':shock:') could have cast a spell over us --- ( VS 880 on sale for $2,150 with under a gig of HD (':evil:')

No Tom > Carmel is more of a fine wine spot (':lol:') Great studio back East ~!
Thanks, I've been to Carmel... a nice place down the 101 on the way from S.F. to L.A.

Carmel is a bit out of the way. There's not much around. An artist community by the sea, where Clint Eastwood was mayor for a couple years.

Anyway, it seems your doing things right. You don't need waves. In fact it might be worth giving analog tape a go. Free jazz doesn't need much editing. One of my clients is a friend who plays and records a lot of Cuban influenced free jazz in a jam band style. Nice stuff.

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:15 am

"I'll be back."
Prog out with your cog out.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:36 am

Hi cgojo,

If you want to get your authentic "old school" merit badge from us internet WAV hackerz...

Then you'll have to get a proper 2" tape machine, something like the Studer A827.

After that you'll have to learn to use it properly to get those "old school" sounds...

Then, after you get used to that, you'll wish you had a WAV editor, since you can't easily edit single tracks on a 2" tape machine.

Of course, the musician's ability level is really what dictates what recording format you can use with them. It seems you mostly have competent musicians, so 2" tape might be an excellent way to go.

However, when you encounter really amateur musicians, you will definitely want to edit some WAVS for them, since they will not be able to play a tune to save their lives.

Now, I think this thread should keep uselessly ambling along, until it is so long, it sets some kind of record. THEN we can edit the WAV out of it!!!

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

Waltz Mastering
steve albini likes it

Post by Waltz Mastering » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:40 am

dick sidechainey wrote:"I'll be back."
Wrong guy. You're thinking of Arnie who is Govner of Cali.

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Sun Sep 12, 2010 7:53 am

Waltz Mastering wrote: Wrong guy. You're thinking of Arnie who is Govner of Cali.
No I got it right. Arnie is actually a giant mutant penguin. With laser eyes. He's here to exact revenge on Gentleman Jim.
Prog out with your cog out.