Does anyone still mix / master without viewing WAVs ??

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:36 am

noeqplease wrote:Hi cgojo,

If you want to get your authentic "old school" merit badge from us internet WAV hackerz...

Then you'll have to get a proper 2" tape machine, something like the Studer A827.

After that you'll have to learn to use it properly to get those "old school" sounds...

Then, after you get used to that, you'll wish you had a WAV editor, since you can't easily edit single tracks on a 2" tape machine.

Of course, the musician's ability level is really what dictates what recording format you can use with them. It seems you mostly have competent musicians, so 2" tape might be an excellent way to go.

However, when you encounter really amateur musicians, you will definitely want to edit some WAVS for them, since they will not be able to play a tune to save their lives.

Now, I think this thread should keep uselessly ambling along, until it is so long, it sets some kind of record. THEN we can edit the WAV out of it!!!

Cheers

I started recording with a really difficult medium --8 track carts in 1968 ( no rewind) moved to cassette mono and then stereo. Next move was SOS Sony decks and finally to a Dokorder 4 track in the late 70's. Jumped to 8 track Tascam and then back down to multi track cassettes 4 & 8 track....until the DAWs hit the market. Last reel machine touched was the 2in 24 ...

The task of editing with tape was not so welcomed & I really tried to manage my pre-skills in the studios...worked on the artist & engineering to some perfection > before the music would even go to tape. Saved me hours of splice, etc.

That could be a reason I treat the ROLAND more like a glorified 2in 24 track .. very little editing at all ITB.

My clients could never absorb the cost of tape ..just not in their budgets, these days.
Last edited by cjogo on Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
whatever happened to ~ just push record......

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:50 am

Gentleman Jim wrote:
cjogo wrote:
Are you in Carmel-by-the-Sea? Because I just checked on Google Maps, and it's hardly hundreds of miles to the next home. Hundreds of yards? I'd go for that. With only 20 people in a hundred mile radius - and 5 of them have their own studios - how on earth could you ever have anyone to record?
Carmel Valley -- I believe the next home is about 100 miles from the backdoor > maybe Cambria down the coast .. The average age is about 65 .... so not much hip hop request to track ':)') census > 4700 population
If it's 100 miles from the back door, maybe you'd be smarter going out the front door. Once again, I've looked at Google Maps, and while you're not in what I'd call a megalopolis, you do have cities reasonably close by. Enough already with the Little House on the Prairie act.

And your line about a "humble" $100 an hour just comes off like trolling.
No, the Ingles don't reside nearby -- and there is a commercial PT studio, now & a 16 track tape studio > within a half hour out the front door.

The humble amount requested is pushing the market around here. SO.. in the megalopolis areas they obviously require the skill and can afford the editing. OR like in the new era of digital photography = people just expect it gratis ~ because it's there ~! I spend enough time in Photoshop * but, not for free. (':?')

Have someone less than an hours direction : willing to at least help us dwell into Reaper & connect the Roland when the hardware arrives.
Last edited by cjogo on Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:55 am

Thanks, I've been to Carmel... a nice place down the 101 on the way from S.F. to L.A.

Carmel is a bit out of the way. There's not much around. An artist community by the sea, where Clint Eastwood was mayor for a couple years.

Anyway, it seems your doing things right. You don't need waves. In fact it might be worth giving analog tape a go. Free jazz doesn't need much editing. One of my clients is a friend who plays and records a lot of Cuban influenced free jazz in a jam band style. Nice stuff.

Clint still around .. Carmel still amazing place. My other day job is a corp/wedding photographer, for the past 30 years ~ so have crossed paths with Mr Eastwood > since the 70's.

Big Annual Jazz festival next weekend :: recording some of the artist, after the shows, the following week.

thanks again [/quote]

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:42 pm

My wonderful wife is much younger -- and trying to get me to at least listen to music as late as the 80's (':oops:') My nephew let me review something pop from this year :: I can see why you may have to use the Wav for editing and this harmonizer tool... Whoa different world..

I remember when I first heard the pitch harmonizer used -- it was with the Cher tune. We were having dinner in Riga, Latvia and I told the waiter ( who figured that being from the US > we would just love to hear it continuously ) that his tip would be minus 0 , if he did not stop the CD instantly.

Listening to the latest, leading charting songs on some award show : it seems that pitch shifting is the lead instrument for every vocal > not going down that road for sure.
Last edited by cjogo on Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Sun Sep 12, 2010 10:05 pm

Gentleman Jim wrote:
cjogo wrote:
A

And your line about a "humble" $100 an hour just comes off like trolling.

Hey, its Carmel ~~ think of the mortgages in this little town. I'm glad the studio is our attached garage... The average mortgage *per day* is well over $125...Plus you gotta eat, and turn on a light! You need 250k, for a downpayment, in most the creative financing that goes on around here

evilaudio
buyin' gear

Post by evilaudio » Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:37 am

Carmel Indiana is pretty awesome high end. you'd need a $2.5K downpayment and a degree in Crystal Meth production. There may even be a pond or lake nearby for those ca-razy artists. They TOTALLY edit all the WAVs too! Not that there are many WAVs on ponds...

sorry....

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:10 am

evilaudio wrote:Carmel Indiana is pretty awesome high end. you'd need a $2.5K downpayment and a degree in Crystal Meth production. There may even be a pond or lake nearby for those ca-razy artists. They TOTALLY edit all the WAVs too! Not that there are many WAVs on ponds...

sorry....
Spent a lot of time there -- I usually bike through the town (Monon Trail) & lunch there with friends.

INDY is my home town > My cousin has his studio down near Bloomington --non Wav editor, too.

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:17 am

Starting WAV classes on Monday ---will hopefully see why everyone makes it their standard tool in the studio......

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:05 am

Have looked at the control surfaces -- and could probably write keyboard shortcuts to perform button controls :: that we are familiar with from the Roland .

A 3 day live recording starts this morning and ( between sessions ) WAV tutorial via > PT and Reaper // Will continue to research controllers and interfaces --- may be a little pricey.
Last edited by cjogo on Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:09 am, edited 3 times in total.

Gentleman Jim
buyin' a studio

Post by Gentleman Jim » Mon Sep 20, 2010 5:24 am

cjogo wrote: I still far l enjoy the fader & button approach versus the mouse ... will let you know the prognoses with the Wav tutorial this week ~!

Anyone wanna tell him about control surfaces? I would, but I'm tired from just having finished reading a book about the early days of computers.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:02 am

we just got a whole new computer set up here at the studio. shit is SWEET:

don't you pervs stare at my interns shapely legs.

woodhenge
pushin' record
Location: Hangin' with Jake and Elwood @Bob's Country Bunker, Indiana

Post by woodhenge » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:00 pm

cjogo wrote:Have looked at the control surfaces -- and could probably write keyboard shortcuts to perform button controls :: that we are familiar with from the Roland . .
Why not use your VS2480 in control surface mode? I did that for quite a while when I switched back to a computer-based DAW. Logic's support for Roland's SI-24 protocol, in particular, is VERY VS-like and quite well done. Just a thought, since you already own it and are so used to it...
insert witty comment here...

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:31 am

woodhenge wrote:
cjogo wrote:Have looked at the control surfaces -- and could probably write keyboard shortcuts to perform button controls :: that we are familiar with from the Roland . .
Why not use your VS2480 in control surface mode? I did that for quite a while when I switched back to a computer-based DAW. Logic's support for Roland's SI-24 protocol, in particular, is VERY VS-like and quite well done. Just a thought, since you already own it and are so used to it...
Thanks >> trying to get the proper hardware to connect to Reaper -- at present === it is SCSI or RBUS adapter to a card or Ethernet ...

woodhenge
pushin' record
Location: Hangin' with Jake and Elwood @Bob's Country Bunker, Indiana

Post by woodhenge » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:13 am

cjogo wrote:Thanks >> trying to get the proper hardware to connect to Reaper -- at present === it is SCSI or RBUS adapter to a card or Ethernet ...
You might try to find a used Presonus V-Fire if you're running Windows XP or Mac OSX 10.4.11. It's a 16x16 RBUS to firewire interface made specifically for the VS. I used one for quite a while and it worked fantastically. Unfortunately, Presonus in their infinite wisdom decided not to update the drivers for any newer OSX versions, so I had to move on to bigger and better (and way more expensive!) things. But, for you, it may just be the ticket...
insert witty comment here...

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:25 pm

woodhenge wrote:
cjogo wrote:Thanks >> trying to get the proper hardware to connect to Reaper -- at present === it is SCSI or RBUS adapter to a card or Ethernet ...
You might try to find a used Presonus V-Fire if you're running Windows XP or Mac OSX 10.4.11. It's a 16x16 RBUS to firewire interface made specifically for the VS. I used one for quite a while and it worked fantastically. Unfortunately, Presonus in their infinite wisdom decided not to update the drivers for any newer OSX versions, so I had to move on to bigger and better (and way more expensive!) things. But, for you, it may just be the ticket...
Thanks >> I believe the VirDIs will allow 24 channels direct :: just waiting for the latest version hardware...........