Does anyone still mix / master without viewing WAVs ??

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

woodhenge
pushin' record
Location: Hangin' with Jake and Elwood @Bob's Country Bunker, Indiana

Post by woodhenge » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:27 am

cjogo wrote:Thanks >> I believe the VirDIs will allow 24 channels direct :: just waiting for the latest version hardware...........
VirDIS looks interesting... do you know if it supports sync and controller info? I still get the occasional client with a VS2480 project... now I have to do 2 realtime passes (or 3 if I want to capture automation data) to get everything over the V-Fire... with VirDIS, it reads like it would only take one pass... very curious.
insert witty comment here...

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Wed Sep 22, 2010 7:36 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92yaRk2ZnqQ

Warm up for a session -- still no editing Wav's .... but, have viewed a few.

Can see were maybe chopping off the end of a wav ~ for a tail of a guitar lead ~ that might need editing : can be very exact ( although still prefer the buttons/ than mouse )

the moving of tracks around for timing purposes ::: can't see needing that app very often in our studios.

more to learn at the end of the week..........
whatever happened to ~ just push record......

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Thu Sep 23, 2010 11:19 am

woodhenge wrote:
cjogo wrote:Thanks >> I believe the VirDIs will allow 24 channels direct :: just waiting for the latest version hardware...........
VirDIS looks interesting... do you know if it supports sync and controller info? I still get the occasional client with a VS2480 project... now I have to do 2 realtime passes (or 3 if I want to capture automation data) to get everything over the V-Fire... with VirDIS, it reads like it would only take one pass... very curious.
all the info on the VIR DIS can be searched over here >> http://www.vsplanet.com/ubbthreads/ubb ... =16&page=1

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Tue Sep 28, 2010 11:42 am

Still trying to process last weeks tutorial --- could maybe use a good 10% of editing with WAVs..........nothing seemed like a must to run for tracking or mixing. But, I have just started the process & trying to apply > is a different mind set, for sure.... looks like it could be considerable work/time for post editing .
FINAL CONCLUSION :: At best, we will offer the editing, if the client request ~for now.
Just like a Neve pre or LA comp that they may request -- just another add-on

thanks kindly everyone
Last edited by cjogo on Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:01 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXZ3TAgOf0k

No Wavs spoken here:-) THe Fondudes play Yodel- Polka Rap> for years at this Bistro

this is the younger crowd in our town -- where the average is over 70.

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Mon Oct 11, 2010 1:15 pm

My second engineer -- said Lanois wanted to go digital with Young's latest release ... But, Neil stayed true to the 1in 16 trk ~!! No Wav editing going on up at Broken Arrow :-)

Burnt Ernie
steve albini likes it

Post by Burnt Ernie » Mon Oct 11, 2010 8:40 pm

In reply to the original post-Yes. I do. Many more do. Is that enough?I knew not.

Methinks this thread doth bore to tears. And proceed. And go on more. And drag on. Like a cold probe on a hot prostate .Endlessly.
I am the Walnut

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:11 pm

Burnt Ernie wrote:In reply to the original post-Yes. I do. Many more do. Is that enough?I knew not.

Methinks this thread doth bore to tears. And proceed. And go on more. And drag on. Like a cold probe on a hot prostate .Endlessly.
Looks like I am an official minority now ---guess I will just work harder or retirement will come earlier. Neil ( and many of us 60's boys ) just have to find some else:: to play around with those Wavs,,,for us.

" The stars are matter, we're matter, but it doesn't matter. " Captain Beefhart

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Tue Oct 12, 2010 6:48 am

Yeah.... You and Neil with your Roland early-gen all-in-one DAWs. Keepin' it real. At least someone is holding it down for REAL MUSIC. You're both clearly the last of a dying breed.

FYI... very unlikely that Neil was using 1" tape.

I think that a few counseling sessions would be more useful for you than wave editing lessons. You've clearly got some MASSIVE INSECURITIES that need to be dealt with.

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:09 am

subatomic pieces wrote: I think that a few counseling sessions would be more useful for you than wave editing lessons. You've clearly got some MASSIVE INSECURITIES that need to be dealt with.
Hey:: thanks for the "couch" time ...great counseling....I am at least through the first step of the program :-)

Insecure
that if I adopt this WAV editing> I will be expected to perform massive functionary task, for gratis. Plugins/window edits will take precedent over talent. Draggin' Droppin' Chopped songs for minimal wage.....would cause the id ~ego to seek therapy. When I view a dorschel test ~~I see tormenting WAVs :l}
Last edited by cjogo on Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:20 am

cjogo wrote:Insecure [/i]that if I adopt this WAV editing> I will be expected to perform massive functionary task, for gratis. Plugins/window edits will take precedent over talent.
It doesn't in my place.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:28 am

maybe you shouldn't bother with editing, though. sounds like you don't need it. maybe you should also stop talking about it. everyone has their own path. nothing you can say will make your way any more valid than anyone else's. it's amazing, TRULY AMAZING, how many pages this thread has without really saying anything.

you don't use wave editing because you don't need to. your clients are so talented that editing is never necessary. the old dudes you work with flush more talent down the toilet each morning than the new fangled whipersnappers with their computerizers and gizmos that the rest of us are forced to deal with every day. fine. that is a perfectly acceptable way to work. turn the page.

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:29 am

subatomic pieces wrote:d.

FYI... very unlikely that Neil was using 1" tape.

Will be having lunch today with the engineer that transfers those 1" 16 tracks ...Hey, hope to see ya backstage :: on the 23rd with Buffalo Springfield sans Martin and Palmer ~~the real backing of that great band ( with Elton and Leon on keys )

at per request :::: turning the page -- closing the chapter

We have also sound houses...divers strange and artificial echoes, reflecting the voice many times, and as if it were tossing it...some rendering the voice, differing in the letters or articulate sound from that they receive. We have also means to convey sounds in tubes and pipes, in strange lines and distances... Francis Bacon (New Atlantis) 1627

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Oct 13, 2010 1:41 pm

Burnt Ernie
steve albini likes it

Post by Burnt Ernie » Wed Oct 13, 2010 6:16 pm

No worries. I guess my 60's references more towards Sonics,Stooges,Moving Sidewalks,Sir Lord Baltimore,Blue Cheer,Zakary Thaks,The Litter,etc....Not a lot of acoustic daublings there,but a WHOLE LOT of PRE MIXING/EDITING/NOISE REMOVAL. Just learn the song
(which I'm sure the engineers truly hated),and then premix Since it's going to 2 track,it's not like you could go back. It may have helped that The equipment at the time seemed to be dominated by Tube pres,Tube eq's,Sweet Mics (at least 5 or 6),no DI's,,no redo's, and a bunch of semi-hostiile World War ii vets trained in hand to hand combat,and radio operation. So perhaps the quick in and out was good for everybody. It's sad that approach to performing/mixing/marketing/ etc has died. It has died,tho. I mean it. These days,I guess you edit endlessly,since no one plays together as a band anymore. If they do,they have some krapped out batch of stuff they patch together some batch of individually recorded overdubs,and then pass the whole abortion off as their newest "band" release..

I prefer tape.
Very few still use it (or can afford it)
I prefer to record to tape,and then "premix"
-edit tops and tails,premix subgroups by hand,make the band decide.
eq,compress,make the band decide,and then dump the whole mix into the computer (where it will end up anyway)
I don't have Neil Young's budget,or weed supplier. Hell,I'd probably earn more money apprenticing under his son's model train technician.

I may suck,but I know it already. This frees me. I schooled with hippies.
They gave up when we got out of vietnam.
They also gave up when they ran out of weed,whenever anyone doubted their "authenticity",their political leanings,their hygeine,or the fossil fuel use of their volkswagon van.
Punk Rok showed up about then (again) Thankl God.
Not much has changed,and yet we continue .
Viva La Difference!
I
I am the Walnut