Severely distorted drum tracks

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

charlievela
gettin' sounds

Severely distorted drum tracks

Post by charlievela » Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:47 pm

I recently received a mix project for a really cool vibey Animal Collective-ish band. One problem: the drum tracks are horribly clipped. My first idea was to start sample replacing, but the level of distortion and the style of playing (lots of ghost notes) make detection problematic for both Massey DTM and Soundreplacer.

Anyone have any tips for getting useable triggers from hyper-clipped drum tracks?

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:16 pm

Use your ears and eyes & cut and paste. It's slow and labour intensive but it works well.

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:36 pm

Or distort them either further!
[Asked whether his shades are prescription or just to look cool]
Guy: Well, I am the drummer.

gustavobill
audio school graduate

Post by gustavobill » Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:53 pm

T-rex wrote:Or distort them either further!
Second that. Animal Collective has a lot of texture and ambience. try to distort the crap out of it and see what you get. I'd also try some reamping with some cool effects. AnCo did that a lot on Merriweather
I wanna see you try that with a $25 preamp

your forth album must be DOUBLE LIVE (via the Foghat Rule)

gustavobill
audio school graduate

Post by gustavobill » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:01 pm

Also, AnCo use lots of drum loops. If the band you're mixing use that style of songwriting, the drums should be like the repetition (a lot) of patterns (a few). In this case it shouldn't be so hard to manually replace it. Did it some times.

just grab a beer, put on a relaxing cd and shut off your brain
I wanna see you try that with a $25 preamp

your forth album must be DOUBLE LIVE (via the Foghat Rule)

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:34 pm

i'm not the sample-replacing type so i can't help you there. but i second the distort them even more idea. or rather than distortion maybe try any kind of saturation you can, to try and soften up that super-hard clipped sound.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Tue Jul 27, 2010 6:29 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:i'm not the sample-replacing type so i can't help you there. but i second the distort them even more idea. or rather than distortion maybe try any kind of saturation you can, to try and soften up that super-hard clipped sound.
Definately saturate! Massey Tape head can do this quite well. You can even set the Tape Head on a gated Aux send, so that only sounds over the gate threshold (ie, slightly lower than where the sound would clip) will actually get the tape saturation effect. Kinda like hitting a note harder to distort a small amp so that it breaks up nicely. You could also dump it out to a 4-track recorder(or other tape/cassette recorder) and make the clip sound a bit more of an pleasing analog distortion. The reamping method also works quite well for this. And the good news is...that these techniques should yet great results for that style of music.

tdbajus
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by tdbajus » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:02 am

T-rex wrote:Or distort them either further!
Plus you can notch filter out hits (if your kick/snare wind up not percussive enough,, run off the high end, and add it to the distorted track with the highs lopped off.