Video shoot question/Mackie 1402VLZ

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

jessejamietig
gimme a little kick & snare

Video shoot question/Mackie 1402VLZ

Post by jessejamietig » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:04 pm

I'm doing a fitness video next week and have a question. Maybe someone can help.

It's a 3 camera shoot with the talent using a wireless lav. The director wants me to send the talent to the left channel of the cameras and the music playing to the right.
I'm gong to be using my 003R to record the audio as a back up. I went to do a preliminary test with a small camera with unbalanced audio (the cameras during the shoot will all have balanced xlr ins), and had a problem splitting the audio out the 003R. It seemed to work, but the other outputs were giving me problems. I assigned the outputs of the track recorded to all the outputs respectively. The main 1 and 2 out worked fine, but the others didn't seem to work well. I have a feeling it had something to do with the unbalanced audio in on the camera.

I asked one of the guys to bring a mixer to the shoot as a backup just in case things didn't work out properly. The only problem is it's a Mackie 1402VLZ with only two main outs. I know I can another set of outputs through the aux sends. I'm just wondering if I can also use the control room outs to feed another camera as well.

Now here's the problem. That only gives me 6 outs, and I need 2 more. Does anybody know anything about the 1402 and how I can get 8 outputs(4 stereo outs)?
I hope this makes sense. And thanks in advance.

Andy Peters
re-cappin' neve

Re: Video shoot question/Mackie 1402VLZ

Post by Andy Peters » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:05 pm

jessejamietig wrote:I'm doing a fitness video next week and have a question. Maybe someone can help.

It's a 3 camera shoot with the talent using a wireless lav. The director wants me to send the talent to the left channel of the cameras and the music playing to the right.
I'm gong to be using my 003R to record the audio as a back up. I went to do a preliminary test with a small camera with unbalanced audio (the cameras during the shoot will all have balanced xlr ins), and had a problem splitting the audio out the 003R. It seemed to work, but the other outputs were giving me problems. I assigned the outputs of the track recorded to all the outputs respectively. The main 1 and 2 out worked fine, but the others didn't seem to work well. I have a feeling it had something to do with the unbalanced audio in on the camera.

I asked one of the guys to bring a mixer to the shoot as a backup just in case things didn't work out properly. The only problem is it's a Mackie 1402VLZ with only two main outs. I know I can another set of outputs through the aux sends. I'm just wondering if I can also use the control room outs to feed another camera as well.

Now here's the problem. That only gives me 6 outs, and I need 2 more. Does anybody know anything about the 1402 and how I can get 8 outputs(4 stereo outs)?
I hope this makes sense. And thanks in advance.
Control-room outs follow the solo. So just solo up the channel you want.
"On the internet, nobody can hear you mix a band."

jessejamietig

Post by jessejamietig » Fri Jul 30, 2010 10:24 am

Thanks. That still only gives me 6 total outputs right?

brew
pushin' record

Post by brew » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:53 am

VLZ has st tape out, st headphone out, and insert send per channel. All can be used for extra outputs. They're all unbalanced however.

And don't forget ALT. You could make custom cable, take ins send of your two source channels, bring them back into two other inputs, ALT these inputs, and use the ALT out to feed whatever else you need.

Or just get a splitter and split the main out however many times you need.

There shouldn't really be a need to record to all cameras. Just use a slate (talent claps?) to line them up with each other, and record to one or two as a backup.

jessejamietig

Post by jessejamietig » Sun Aug 01, 2010 2:55 pm

Thanks for everyone's replies.

I think what I'm going to do is feed two cameras, and the 003 with the mackie and then spit out audio from pro tools to the 3rd camera. That way if the PT system goes down for some reason, the audio will still be running to two of the cameras.