The Doors in Recording Engineer/Producer magazine

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

telepathy
pushin' record

Post by telepathy » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:45 am

it's really just that I have a heavy jones for EV mics of that era.
fossiltooth wrote:If you're bummed about it, you too can make your own relatively unknown mics be worth more by recording really awesome sh*t into them.
I'd like to think I'm quietly working toward hyping the price of EV DS-35's. bottom snare mic like you wouldn't believe.
get up with it

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:00 am

Gregg Juke wrote:Hey, if you're really interested in future access to RE/P, go to this page (see below), read the text, and sign-up by clicking the link...

http://www.mikekonopka.com/page29.html

GJ
I signed up... Let's hope this gets republished in some form (PDF please?) soon...
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Wed Aug 31, 2011 10:57 am

Nick Sevilla wrote:I signed up... Let's hope this gets republished in some form (PDF please?) soon...
Yeah, I hope. Even with the low cost of PDF distribution, it's gonna cost a bit to get thousands of pages scanned in. So whoever takes that on needs the legal clearance to sell the digital copies, so they can at least recoup their costs.

Leigh

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:14 am

You can get a few back articles on Vintage King. Try this link: http://www.vintageking.com/Article-Archives

I'm still going to vote for cherry-picking some of their best articles and presenting them in book form. Not everyone has the time to read a decades worth of old magazines - Lots of folks could easily be intimidated by an entire (sometimes outdated) catalog of decades-worth of back issues. But, if you could get a book chock full of diagrams from some truly classic and iconic records? Some vintage interviews with groundbreaking producers - from when they were breaking ground? Man! Who wouldn't buy that?

Here's a link to similar diagrams from the making of Fleetwood Mac's Rumors. Not one of my personal favorites, but an extremely well-executed production, and a detailed read: http://65.61.41.11/pdf_files/Fleetwood% ... umours.pdf
Last edited by fossiltooth on Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

leigh
carpal tunnel

Post by leigh » Wed Aug 31, 2011 11:26 am

Actually, here's a thought: given the difficulty of selling PDFs (which are not copy protected and easily passed around), what if the digital publishing of RE/P was done as a Kickstarter project?

The archive holder would still legally need the permission of the copyright holder. They could get a quote from a scanning service, of what the production cost of the PDF would be. Then create a Kickstarter project to cover that quote, plus whatever other administrative overhead there would be. Perhaps a licensing fee to the copyright holder would have to be covered as well.

Digitizing the RE/P archive as a Kickstarter project would be better than selling it commercially for 2 reasons: one, the financial risk to the re-publisher is eliminated, as the whole process is funded by pre-orders. Two, it would allow folks with more financial resources to contribute a greater amount to the project. For twenty years of RE/P, some people would consider $300 a deal (that's less than half of what twenty years of Mix magazine would be at the current subscription rate). Others with less means would understandably balk at paying that much, but could cough up $50. So, rather than set one price across the board, Kickstarter allows contributions to be scaled by the contributors, based on their desire for the end product, and their financial resources.

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:52 pm

Great idea!