Looking for new monitors

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Bryantx512
gettin' sounds

Looking for new monitors

Post by Bryantx512 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:28 pm

I'm tired of fighting my current monitors. I have Event 20/20 bas active monitors. My ears are sensitive in the 2kHz-10kHz range, (I think it's because of my tinnitus). Because of that I find that my mixes sound very dull when I check them on other speakers. On top of that, my ears get fatugued in 15-20 minutes at moderate levels (less than 78 dB). Any recommendations for non-fatiguing speakers. I will be going out and listening to what the local places have.

The other thing I have thought about is just slapping an EQ across them and cut those frequencies until I find the right balance for my ears. But that still won't necessarily aleviate the fatigue issue. Any comment on this?

Recycled_Brains
resurrected

Re: Looking for new monitors

Post by Recycled_Brains » Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:50 pm

What's your budget like?

I use Dynaudio BM5As. I don't find them to be fatiguing at all. I have that same sensitivity to high frequencies, and I use the -1db high freq. cut on mine. My mixes have since become much less "dull". Very subtle, but helpful feature.

Great speakers. Very clear, nice to listen to...maybe at the sacrifice of some small amount of accuracy, but whatever. If I'm going to spend 8 hrs. listening to them, I want to enjoy it.

Only others that I have extensive experience with are KRK V8's, of which I am not a fan. I find them to be extremely fatiguing. And Event TR6s (my first pair). I found those a little dull sounding. My mixes never really translated that well, though I blame that mostly on the shitty box of a room I was in at the time.
Ryan Slowey
Albany, NY

http://maggotbrainny.bandcamp.com

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:54 pm

those 20/20s can be pretty rough in the high mids. the other problem is they're tubby around 400 so if you make things sound right on them, they have no warmth on anything else. i learned how to deal with them but i was usually listening at probably like 65db all day long...

i'd look for a used pair of b+w 805s, they can be found for less than $700 and i don't think you can find anything more accurate and less fatiguing for that kinda dough.

Bryantx512
gettin' sounds

Post by Bryantx512 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:15 pm

I am wanting to keep it close to $1200 or less.

Any body have any experience with the Focal CMS50? I've heard good things about them and that they are not fatiguing.

David_Kessler
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by David_Kessler » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:22 am

Got the CMS50's about 3 months ago. Very easy to work with for extended periods, and my mixes translate better. These replaced my KRK V6's.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:04 pm

Grab an Adcom GFA-545 power amp and search for an early 80's pair of Rogers Studio 1 monitors. You'll come in under $1000 and be blown away. I found my pair of Rogers in the trash back in May and everyone who has heard them or worked with me on them is spellbound by their greatness. Mixing and mastering has never been so easy, I just go between them and NS-10s (to check mixes in lo-fi hi-fi since I know them so well). Obviously there are a lot of great passive monitors out there that can be paired with the Adcom, and the Adcom GFS-3 speaker switcher ($30 on ebay all of the time) to give you multiple choices.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord