AKG D88- any information?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Dubmaniac
gettin' sounds

AKG D88- any information?

Post by Dubmaniac » Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:12 am

Yesterday I found an AKG D88 stereo dynamic microphone (in its original box, if you can believe it) at at thrift store. Since then, I've tried to find out more about it, but there's basically nothing about it online- just a picture on a Czech vintage microphone site. According to them, it's from the '60s or the '70s. Here's a link to it...

http://oldmics.cz/?v=1&j=en&od=31

Does anybody else have any more information about this microphone?
"Stare with your ears"- Ken Nordine

Syngriner
studio intern

Post by Syngriner » Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:09 am

Hey Dubmaniac
Unfortunately I do not know anything about the AKG D88, but I just wanted to thank you for the link to the oldmic.cz site. Some the really old AKG mics look amazingly cool. The D88 looks like it has only one cable coming out of it. Assuming that that cable does not already break out to a couple of XLR connectors you are going to have to figure out how to modify it to be able to plug it into any current equipment. It shouldn't be that hard to work it out. I am very curious about how it sounds. - Bernie
"Politics is the entertainment branch of industry" - Frank Zappa

"Without deviation from the norm, 'progress' is not possible" - Frank Zappa

Dubmaniac
gettin' sounds

Post by Dubmaniac » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:01 pm

Thanks for the reply. That is a pretty cool site, huh? I really like the look of some of those early AKG microphones. Who am I kidding? I like the design aesthetics of most old microphones!

You're right- it does only have one cable. It terminates in a 5 pin DIN plug, which was common on European consumer audio gear a long time ago. However, mine came with a homemade adapter, going from DIN to dual 1/4" mono plugs. The DIN end of the adapter seems to be coated in some very old brown rubber, which is holding up surprisingly well for it being maybe 50 years old!

I haven't had time to plug it in yet, but it probably works. The box has disintegrated, rotted foam in it- probably the pop filter foam from inside the microphone cage. I took the cage apart (I hope I can get it back together again!) to see the elements. They are about one inch across each. Unfortunately, they seem to be coming loose from their mountings. I'll probably hot glue them back in place so they don't rattle around inside the cage. I may also add in some black foam so that, in another 50 years or so, someone else will have to clean it up. That'll be part of my audio legacy... a trail of black foam dust!

Once I get a chance to plug it in and try it, I'll let you all know how it sounds. I'm not expecting much in the way of transients or high end response, since it's an old dynamic, but it might be useful for something. And it looks cool as hell!
"Stare with your ears"- Ken Nordine

fucdemas
alignin' 24-trk

Re: AKG D88- any information?

Post by fucdemas » Sun Nov 08, 2020 9:39 am

What does it sound like? I’ve seen these on eBay and I am super curious